I' ve got myself a Sky HD box - how do I get it up and running?

RostokMcSpoons

Novice Member
In my attempt to bypass the 3 month wait, I've gotten an HD box from a friend.

First the bad news - it's a Thomson box. Which means it's probably got a PSU that'll need fixing. But anyway, the short term aim is tonight's Champ League Final so I'll worry about that later. I also don't have the proper HD remote, or any instructions - so I need some help!

My main problem is I've plumbed in all the connections, powered it up, and I can't get anything on except the red light, which presumably means it's in Standby? Holding down the 'dial' button (on the top of the box) at the front, where the 'power' logo is, doesn't make anything happen.

Obviously I've not paired it to my Sky card, but presumably I should be able to get a green light and a Sky error message on screen before that step?

Also I'm not sure it's responsive to my Sky+ remote (the light doesn't flicker or blink when I 'zap' it)... should my remote work straight away, or does it need some sort of recoding?

thanks in advance for your help!

edit: I think I've got the 'stuck in standby' problem. I've tried restarting it and leaving it for 10 minutes before hitting the power button. I've tried powering on whilst holdings down Left + Right or the Backup button - no other lights come on. I think it's DOA :(

Btw it looks like I've got an old Thomson box as it has Component outputs.

Last edited:

newboy2008

Novice Member
The sky + remote should work with the HD box.

Try this

power box on

hold down backup(on box)

power box off(keep holding backup)

Power box on(keep holding backiup)

after 10 seconds all lights will come on

leave it alone to update

leave it alone some more

dont touch it

wait 10 mins

press sky

wait!

press standby button to power on

RostokMcSpoons

Novice Member
Newboy, this has actually got something to happen - but I'm not sure if it's *really* working yet:

I plugged it with nothing else connected to try your suggestion, did the first four steps... got all 4 lights lit.
Unplugged it, connected all the rest of the cables, did it again. This time the lights only blinked on, then went off again. There's no signal coming from the box - is there *any* feedback that it's actually updating?

HDCriticalFan

Novice Member
is there *any* feedback that it's actually updating?

After the four LEDs come on, and whilst the software is downloading, the screen should show a message about waiting while the update takes place. I believe this only appears on the scart output though (i.e. NOT component or HDMI ... don't ask !)

If it doesn't even flash the four LEDs when you do a forced update then it sounds like the PSU has died. :(

Regards

...sounds like the PSU has died already - they do this when they have been unplugged as they cool down and then dont like to come back on!

choddo2006

Novice Member
Newboy, this has actually got something to happen - but I'm not sure if it's *really* working yet:

I plugged it with nothing else connected to try your suggestion, did the first four steps... got all 4 lights lit.
Unplugged it, connected all the rest of the cables, did it again. This time the lights only blinked on, then went off again. There's no signal coming from the box - is there *any* feedback that it's actually updating?

If it wasn't already broken, then unplugging it while it was updating might have performed the coup de grace. Although I think an incomplete update is usually recoverable by starting again.

LanceR

After the four LEDs come on, and whilst the software is downloading, the screen should show a message about waiting while the update takes place. I believe this only appears on the scart output though (i.e. NOT component or HDMI ... don't ask !)

If it doesn't even flash the four LEDs when you do a forced update then it sounds like the PSU has died. :(

Regards

No you still get the updating banner thru HDMI well you do on Pace boxes anyway.

RostokMcSpoons

Novice Member
Cheers guys for the help so far :thumbsup:
I'm going to have another go in a couple of hours when I get home...
I had the box plugged in via HDMI - I'll go with Scart to be safe.

The good news is I'm going to try again with my friend, and he's going to talk to the source of the box, who is a Sky installer... he apparently has another hardware reset method to try.

Does anyone know how long it takes from phoning Sky to pair up the box and card, and upgrading to HD, to it actually being received? I.e. will I have much chance of watching the footy in HD tonight?

(My wife noted my anguish at all this and took it upon herself to phone up Sky and... well... grovel... and the customer service guy said I should be sorted in 3 weeks. Which is a lot better than the 'still 3 months' email I got from them a couple of weeks ago... but I'll believe it when I see it :rolleyes: Still, if this box doesn't work then I've got some hope anyway!)

newboy2008

Novice Member
Have you actually checked your sat signal strength from the dish? Did you have a working sky box before you got the HD box?
If you did an update with no sat input then you will have a corrupt software download.Unplug the box for 10 mins and repeat the steps I gave you.Make sure the sat is connected this time.The only other method is holding the left/right buttons on the box when you power up,this will perform a hard drive format.Dont hold your breath for a "magic fix" from the Sky chump.He wont know anything we dont.

Last edited:

RostokMcSpoons

Novice Member
... signal strength is around 75% and 50%, with signal quality at 75% on both.
My Sky+ (Pace) is normally working fine, though it has hiccuped a couple of times today due to the wet and windy weather (neighbour's tree might be bending into LoS to the satellite).

RostokMcSpoons

Novice Member
Ooh!

On the n'th attempt at doing the Backup-button-startup, it actually worked! It's now show 'Updating the software' on the screen for several minutes. It seemed to reset itself, but the screen is now blank, with only the standby light on.

What's next?

kenedin

Press the Sky 'on' button on your remote, and see what happens:D:D

RostokMcSpoons

Novice Member
Bah, we did that and nothing happened. We thought we might not have waited long enough so have just done an update again (which took 2 minutes) and are now waiting for 10 minutes to pass before hitting any buttons :boring:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett