I used to be able to do this...please help...Panasonic DVD Recorder

alfajerry

Hi guys,
I am trying to transfer some VHS to my HD recorder and then burn DVDs from the files.
VHS is Panasonic NV-HD630, DVD recorder is Panasonic DMR-EX77.
The problem is that the sound is very bad.
I have used these items to do this in the past but don't know what I'm doing wrong.
If I take the SCART direct from NV to TV the sound is OK.
Thanks,
Jerry

Attachments

• DSC_0160.JPG
    DSC_0160.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0159.JPG
    DSC_0159.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0161.JPG
    DSC_0161.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0158.JPG
    DSC_0158.JPG
    291.7 KB · Views: 40

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Hello Jerry

When you say the sound is "bad", what do you mean exactly?

Muffled? Distorted?

I have a digital camcorder which I can record footage onto, and this was connected to my Blu-Ray recorder via the leads in your first image into a Scart adapter. I also transferred my footage to the BR recorder's hard drive first, then burned onto SD DVD, and both sound and picture were fine.

Are there any more connections under the front flap of your DVD recorder? Maybe it might work better that way? Perhaps you're using the wrong Scart connection on your VCR?

alfajerry

Sound is quiet AND distorted.
Connected as per the manuals.
Have tried three SCART leads.
No problem when SCART is direct from VHS to TV.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Front flap inputs.
Okay, since there seems to be some sort of issue using Scart to Scart, have you tried something like this instead:

Amazon product

I notice you have Composite connections on both the front and back of your DVD recorder. Don't ask me why the Scart to Scart isn't working (there's probably some technical reason that's way beyond my knowledge base), but I think an alternative is Composite to Scart.

You might see and hear a drop in quality compared to the usual Scart to Scart, but there's no harm in trying. It might actually work!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Sound is quiet AND distorted.
Connected as per the manuals.
Have tried three SCART leads.
No problem when SCART is direct from VHS to TV.

@Gavtech has often posted here about a particular IC (chip) on Panasonic DVDRs causing sound symptoms like you’re experiencing.
Don't waste your time ordering new leads.

Gavtech

Administrator
Thanks for the suggestion, Derek.
JayCee, I'll look at his posts.
There are quite a lot of posts involved - but if you use 'IC3001' as your search term, it should point you to a lot of relevant threads.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom