1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I-tunes and multi-formats???

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by rachbro, Oct 17, 2005.

1. rachbro

rachbro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would really appreciate some help please. Bought husband Ipod mini 4g earlier in year which he is happily using and downloading all and sundry via
    i-tunes.

I am now wanting to buy my son a "mp3" player for his birthday this week.

-Would another MP3 player be able to use i-tunes.
    If i understand correctly - unless i buy another ipod then no, they will not sync together because i-tunes only dowlowds in AAC formatt??
    I thought maybe i could convert downloaded tracks from i-tunes into mp3 formatt via advanced options but it says they are protected??

Have I answered my own question or am I just not getting it........??

So then, If i were to buy another MP3 player (about £40 i want to spend) would I have to buy my son downloads from another site-tracks couldnt be shared with dads ipod????

oooooh please help - im in a right pickle
    Thankyou so much in advance

2. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got iTunes but a Creative Zen Nano Plus mp3 player. Works fine with my mp3 files but these weren't originally downloaded via iTunes.

Guess that kind of half answers your question!

3. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your sort of right, itunes downloads are only meant for ipods because they come in their unique aac format, although you can use itunes as a generic converter for converting cd's etc into a lot of different formats such as mp3, aac, lossless. etc. and if you are using itunes to copy cds then you can use another mp3 type player although it will not sync with it.

the only option to consider is recopy any cd's you have into mp3 though itunes, and any existing aac files you have which are not downloads (i.e. copies from cd's) the same too, then you can use the mp3 files with any generic mp3 player. You could try burning a cd though itunes of all you aac format files, then try reinstalling the files from the cd back into itunes except as an mp3 file instead, not sure if it will work but its work a try if you have got hundres of downloads.

Your other query, if you son purchases mp3 downloads from other sites, you can use these in itunes for his dads ipod no problem. I have an ipod and copy all of my music in mp3 format so as to prevent your problem, i.e. so i can use my mp3 files not only on my ipod but other mp3 players as well should my ipod bust.

4. rachbro

rachbro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your replies. Can i ask another question please....

Which site can i download MP3 format songs from. Think Woolies/tescos appear to be in WMA format.

OMG this is so confusing aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

Also if all newly downloaded songs will appear in i-tunes - how am I to tell which are in which format??? Or would it just be a case of putting any songs downloaded for my son into a different playlist from his dads ipod?

Thanks everso

5. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, there are quite a few legal and non legal sites you can buy or get free mp3 music from, such as virgin, napster, hmv (paysites) and if you do a search for free mp3 you will get some other results (shouldnt really list them on this forum though!!). Most sites will require some form of registration etc before you download but thats no big deal.
    Your dowloaded music wont automatically appear in itunes, as itunes can only downloads its own aac music, however when you download through other sites you can then import your mp3's into your itunes library.
    You can tell the different formats of your music in itunes by going into itunes and select, file, options, this gives you a list of the headings that appear on your itunes desktop, one of these allows you to see the type of file, whether aac, mp3, lossless. The easiest method however (if you have a windows machine with 2000, xp etc) is to create a separate windows user in your sons name, that way, when he signs into windows, he will have a separate itunes icon and a separate itunes library where you can dump all of his mp3 files. Too be honest though, if you aint got an ipod and are just buying a cheap mp3 player you might not want to go to this extra hastle unless your husband is desparate to share you sons music.

As you have already mentioned, you can put your sons music into a separate playlist, but remember that playlists on itunes are for use with ipod so there is really no point in doing this.

Depending of the type of mp3 player you get for your son, there will be some software with it which will enable you to transfer his mp3 files to his player, it will probably be just as easy to use it rather than itunes, if your husband wants access to your sons mp3 files then he can simply import them into itunes for his own use....hope this helps

6. rachbro

rachbro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lukey - you an absolute star. thankyou so much for all your help x

7. vtah236

vtah236
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...to your original question: I use i-Tunes to download music to my Sony HD5 (because tracks are 20p cheaper than on Sony's site) and use JHymn, a converter downloaded for free, to turn them into mp3s. Dead easy.

And my two little boys have small Creative mp3 players which happily accept these same files.

Just don't tell the DRM police.

8. djpowell

djpowell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two legal MP3 sites are www.emusic.com and www.wippit.com.

Emusic is $10 a month for 40 tracks, which is pretty cheap, but it doesn't sell anything from major labels. You can get a free trial to try it out though.

Not really tried wippit, but it seems to have more mainstream stuff there.