1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I-Trip - Any UK Suppliers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Argento, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not even sure if these are available for the new models yet - but I want to get an I-Trip for my new 30g Ipod - gone direct to the manufacturer, but they won't sell to the UK.

Any ideas? And are they available (or even any good!)

Cheers

Rich

2. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Got one for my ipod - works just like its says on the tin. No interference and very slick looking. A friend of mine called me up from San Fran and asked if we wanted one so I ordered two - one for a mate. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit the new models - we tried but works perfectly with the old model.

As for your dilemma, I would look through the suppliers on ipod lounge and try importing through there. I bought an ipod case that way. Good luck.

simon

3. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought one last week off of eBay from Mann Electronics for my old 10Gb iPod. It arrived three days after I bought it. Cost me £39.99, I know I could probably have got a cheaper price but they had them in stock. It's good anyway I'm sure I saw that they had the new one to, they at least had a picture of it.

4. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep - But Griffin will not sell to the UK - they say the product is illegal.......

Any more ideas?

Rich

6. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    In the latest issue of Mac User there is a review of the ITrip - it states that units sold in the UK come with a disclaimer about its use being illegal. So, someone is selling them in the UK... hmmm will have a look on the Mac USer site.

Here you go:
    One final caveat. Under UK law, broadcasting to frequencies supported by the iTrip without a licence is illegal. It is, however, distributed in the UK by Alta Technology, and Griffin is investigating producing a version that meets legal requirements in the UK. If you buy the current version now, you'll find a page-long disclaimer in the box, to indemnify Alta from any legal liability in respect of your purchase.

Alta technology are the people to contact it seems... but they seem to be out of stock at the moment. sigh...

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    There's a news story on the BBC web site saying that the itrip has been banned:-
    BBC story
    :(

8. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can't understand why they have banned the iTrip (or declared its use illegal), let me explain why.

For some time, if you had a Car Radio but no in car CD player, you had a couple of choices (assuming it couldn't control an autochanger)

1. Buy a new head unit :(
    2. Buy a CD kit with FM modulator. This would transmit the music from your CD on FM. You simply tuned in the car radio to the right frequency, and away you go.

Now here we have a unit that is broadcasting on an FM frequency, presumably at a very low power. What makes using this okay, but the iTrip illegal?

Yours, puzzled!

9. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yep, I agree, I have a CD player in my car talking to the main stereo via ... FM!
    Please don't arrest me, I didn't mean it officer.
    And to think I was a law abiding citizen.
    Azzo.

10. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Actually, I've worked out what's different.

These modulators come with a cable that connects to the head unit via the aerial connection. Normally with something that allows you to connect the "ordinary" aerial and this other one at the same time.

The upshot is that these don't actually broadcast anything, they use a cable connected into the aerial.

However, Expansys were selling units that you could connect to a personal stereo/MP3 player and these definitely were broadcasting on FM. I tried to find them earlier and failed.