I thought that I knew what I wanted??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Marcus D, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Marcus D

Marcus D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Decided or so I thought, to go for a panny panel monitor but am worried that if sky went breasts up (as has done several times before) or my home cinema packed in I will be without sound or picture ?

Can I get a tuner to go with a panel or am I best just getting a 'normal' plasma with built in tuner and speakers. The panel was favourite as without speakers it looked better and i liked the idea of using it with a pc. Can I easily connect a pc to a 'standard' set and are they much more expensive

Sorry for the dumb questions but Im new to this and dont want to spend a fortune and it not be right - the missus would kill me!

Thanks

Marcus

2. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    A freeview box can be used as a tuner and the panny panels are capable of accepting any old speakers.

You can plug a pc in to any plasma with the correct inputs. It doesn't have to be a panel.

Look at it like this, if your sky box breaks then you have to replace the sky box, if the internal tuner on the telly breaks you have to replace the telly.

It's also cheaper to go for a panel as you aren't paying for what you don't need. I went the panel route and couldn't be happier. The pq can also benefit as there's less processing going on.

At the end of the day you pay your money and take your chances but I'd never not buy a panel because it hasn't got speakers or a tuner built in. To me that's a positive thing.

3. Marcus D

Marcus D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks mate, exactly what I wanted to hear and from a panel owner too. It totally amke sense now that you have said it. After having spent a fair wedge on a sony crt a few years back I guess I am just over nervous.

Is the panny panel in the power buy (the HD) a good buy or should I look at any others.

Thanks for the honest reply

Marcus

4. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Another panel vote here.

5. NGD Boy

NGD Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have a Panny 42" PWD8 bought from avsales.... s/video cable from sky to amp ... and then component(breakout cable) from amp to vga port on screen.... used my own speakers, and amp also upconverts s/video and composite to component out.... PQ fromsky is brilliant and even better from DVD, no noise from screen as it's fanless ( I think) ... sky will occasionally drop a signal but only in extreme weather, and I do mean extreme....it has to be raining absolute buckets..... I was worried for quite a while and took advice from a few learned members on this board and done plenty of homework... panel every time for me :smashin:

6. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    Without a doubt go for the powerbuy.

It's an absolute corker of a panel and the service from av sales is second to none. It's also an excellent deal.

I don't think i've ever seen anyone on here with a bad thing to say about the panny panels, they really are an excellent product.

7. Marcus D

Marcus D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Top Advice from all thank you , just waiting to see if I can still get this deal.

My surround / dvd is a Sony DAV-SC5 which I know little about - any suggestions what modules I would need to be able to connect this along with a sky digi box (eventually sky plus) and a vcr????

Thanks again all

8. NGD Boy

NGD Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Not sure about the connectivity on your Sony... is it an all in one system ?
    as long as it has an optical in, then sky plus can be connected into optical on your sony and any movies shown on sky in 5.1 will be put through the Sony(basically same as watching DVD) :rotfl: .... also, with sky+ you don't really needa VCR.... I ditched mine. ;)

9. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401

You'll need either a scart input board or a js tech rgb to vga converter. Generally people get better results with the js tech but it does mean you'll have the vga port taken up.

Use scart for the video and optical for the sound in to the sony once you get sky+. For now you can use rca stereo for the sound in to the sony.

The vcr can be plugged via scart through the sky box.