1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I thought it would be so easy!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DaveP, Mar 18, 2003.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Panasonic DVD Recorder right? It records DVD-RAM disks, right? I buy a DVD-ROM drive that plays DVD-RAM disks, right. I put a RAM disk I've recorded on the DVD Recorder in the DVD-ROM drive and it plays, right? Well no actually it doesn't!

I can see all the files on the disk but windows doesn't recognise the file extension: .VRO. I copy the file to disk and rename it to have an MPG extension and then it plays, sort of! The lip sync is all to cock and the picture is stretched vertically.

Is there anything I can do to play these disks on my PC?

Thanks for looking

DaveP

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You could use Virtual Dub to resync the audio and a player such as BSplayer or Sasami to force the correct aspect ratio.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll look into those

DaveP

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    The .VRO file is essentially an MPEG2 file and AC3 file in a container. This means you'll need to demux them. The quickest and easiest way to do this is to copy the .VRO file to your HDD and rename it MPEG. You will then need to to run a programme like TMPG Encoder using the MPEG tools to run a Simple Demux. This will split the file which can then be imported into Spruceup, DVDIT, ULEAD etc.

You may still have problems with the lipsync after this - in such a case you will need to use VIRTUALDUB. The process takes some trial and error but, once your up and running, it is a simple process.

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If it's AC3 audio it will have to be Nandub or Virtual Dub Mod. Virtual Dub doesn't do AC3.

If you just want to watch the files on your PC then just adjust the audio delay and save the file as an avi.

Then use one of the players I mentioned above to force the aspect ratio.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    But convert it to a .WAV file first, adjust the sound in Virtual Dub and then reconvert to an .AC3 file means you can get the audio in sync for burning to DVD-R. This is how I do it and, for that matter, how Nicky's Guides recommends at Digital Digest.

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    There is no need to go AC3 --> WAV --> AC3, just change the delay on the original AC3 track and remux them. If it is more than about 2 seconds off you may have problems.

8. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    can't you just use something like WinDVD to play them?

If not all that lot seems a heck of a lot of hassle to go though to simply watch a DVD!

9. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DaveP, fraggle is correct. If all you wish to do is watch the ram disc content then you just need a compatible software player, the latest winDVD or powerDVD both will play the video on these disks with no audio or visual problems. I've set this up on my kids computer with my tosh 1612 dvd-rom. The only thing you may need to install are panasonic dvd-ram drivers, afraid I don't have a link at the mo because I'm at work, let me know if you need the link or a copy of these drivers later.
    Regards.
    Paul.

10. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul, that's the sort of answer I was hoping for, it must be a driver issue. If you could give me a link that would be great. I've tried searching but so far without success.

I had hoped to use it with a Hollywood+ card but I think I'll have to go the software player way, I have a copy of PowerDVD, I'll try that. Then I'll have a problem getting 5.1 Co-Ax of optical out tho'!

Thanks again guys, all the suggestions are appreciated.

DaveP

11. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi DaveP,
    I also had this problem of how to use Panny recordings (DVD_RAM ) on my laptop. I solved this after seeing a link to the Panny DVD RAM drivers page which I think is what you are looking for.

The link is : http://www.panasonic.co.jp/dvdram/lim/eoem/down2000.html

It works with my IBM notebook and Hitachi GD-S200 DVD drive. I can watch DVD-RAM's on it no problem using WinDVD player.

I hope this helps?

NigelB

12. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nigel, I've downloaded the XP version and I'll give it a try tonight.

DaveP

13. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I stated earlier, the preferred solution was the Hollywood+. I checked their website, and despite the age of the card, there were some new drivers to download.

I found time to put these on at lunch time and although the player software starts with an error message saying about no disk in drive I can actually click on the folder icon and browse to the .VRO file and it plays back fine now. circles are round and the lip sync is fine too.

Thanks again guys for all your input.

DaveP

14. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0