I thought I was clever, until I read this forum...

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by deepan88, Feb 10, 2018.

1. deepan88

deepan88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sheeeeeiiiiittt.

As the story goes, i thought I knew what I was looking for, but now I realise I am way out of my depth and seek the assistance of the fabled group they adoringly name the avforums experts.

So I'm just about to take ownership of my first flat. Mortgages suck balls!
    I've called Sky and got a "returning customer" Sky Q deal with (Ultra)HD(payed for 15+ years at my parents place, now my sister pays and I move my account across.

I've got a budget of approx £1500 for two TVs (one can be 43" linky as this will be used as a 2nd screen for Macbook Pro/TV in my "Office") and a Sound-bar/Speaker Set.

What's the best 4K TV for the potential remaining budget?

I'm not a big fan of Samsung TVs and thus, will only purchase one if it's the absolute best in that price/feature range.

I will be using Ultra HD where available for Sky (2160p/50fps/HDCP2.2), BluRay and Games on my PS4 (Fifa, Gran Turismo etc) and also an AppleTV 4K (when I buy it) and my NAS drive that will be simultaneously be plugged in to my Netgear VPN firewall.

I like the look of the Sonos Playbase, but really have no idea what I'm buying.

Would I need optical Audio or all through HDMI/3.5mm/Composite?

The width of the living room is about 270cm and I'll be sitting about 200cm away from the TV itself in the living room at least.

What have I forgotten to consider?

Ooo, has any one ever used the LG 5k displays?

Any help you provide is greatly appreciated.

Muchos Gracias
    Cheers M'Dears
    Thanks!

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    They're HiDPI ('Retina') versions of the 2560x1440 27" displays. Same sizing, more detail in programs that can take advantage HiDPI.

Unless you mean the upcoming 5120x2160 LG 34WK95U which is HiDPI for 2560x1080 Ultrawide.

I wouldn't recommend the LG UH6/UH7 models for PC use as they have an unusual subpixel structure. What sort of viewing distance would you have for the secondary TV?

My living room sound knowledge is limited but obviously £350 for a secondary TV and £700 for a playbase would only leave you £450 for a main TV so I suspect that's probably a poor trade-off unless you really want to buy into the Sonos ecosystem in future.

Is that a PS4 Pro? How much HDR content you're likely to be using will have a big impact on the attractiveness of some TVs.

3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    I would get Samsung 40MU6100/40MU6400 for PC TV and 55MU7000 for living room TV.

HDR on the MU7000 won't be great, but you'll need to up the budget to the Sony XE9005 for it to be decent.

Samsung's best value HDR TV is the Q7 but it isn't quite as good as the Sony overall.

4. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    XE90 is a great HDR tv, a good option overall.