1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I thinking of getting a Motorbike

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Spasm, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does any one ride a motorbike? I'm looking into getting a Harley as I've wanted one since I was a kid! I'm in the process of doing my test and going to Fulham to spec the bike at the Harley garage on Thursday!

Does anyone have any experience with motorbikes?

Just wondered if they are a good idea - (not wanting to go into the debate of you could fall of and die!, etc etc) I know they can be potentially dangerous machines, but putting that minor detail adside!

Interested in insurance, running costs etc and etc.

2. Mindcrime

Mindcrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    The worst thing you can possibly do is go from a learner to a 'big' bike like a Harley; start off on a small bike to gain road experience and how a bike handles. A good start off bike would be a 600 Bandit, Suzuki SV650, Honda Hornet, or Kawasaki GPz 500. Going from a learner to a Hog is a huge step in weight, size, power and feel. Hogs have so much low down torque that it would be quite difficult for a learner to grasp. And then there is the insurance issue! I did a quick quote for an 883 Sportster, fully comp, immobilizer and garaged - 769.95GBP. I used to learn on a Yamaha RXS1 for a while and then moved up to the Kawasaki ER-5; a huge difference in feel and technique. Don't make the mistake of buying a big first bike, work your way up and you'll enjoy it more, believe me! Oh, and watch out for those dumb-ass car drivers coz they won't:devil:

3. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Wise words Mindcrime! :smashin:

I did a direct access course and had a Kawasaki GPz 500 to start. Thought it was the fastest thing on earth. But then, one summer, thought I felt a change because it wasn't 'exciting' anymore so I got a ZZR1100 instead :eek:

I think even now Harleys are a big bike and although I havn't ridden one I can imagine how difficult they are to control at slow speed. Everything is easy at a quicker pace.

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    No point doing things by half is there :eek: :laugh:

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    a fella by our's whom i speak to regulary as ive fixed his pc a few times has a honda fireblade 2004 model i think. im not a motor bike man so i havnt a clue on thing but he says its one of the fastest bikes around, and i have no reason to doubt him. what im getting at is when i first seen him move in about 10 yrs ago he had a smaller bike and over the years he has gradually stepped up a notch. this firebalde is a monster though i regulary hear him tank it up the road and i think he takes it to track days at aintree as well. looks damn sexy as well

6. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    Thought you were thinking about getting a bike :devil:

My thoughts are that a bikes a bike and you get to know the machine your sat on very quickly and treat it with the respect it deserves regardless of engine size.

When I was 16 (20 odd yrs ago) you'd see me going hell for leather on FS1-E :rolleyes: I sometime wonder how I'm still alive.

In between those times I've had all manner of machinery (never a harley though :lesson: ) and currently ride a Bandit12 when the weather allows, purely a fun day toy nowadays.

I'd just say go for it and enjoy it ;)

7. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,691
    Yep everything Mindcrime said! Also, you need to go out and sit on (and if possible, try out) loads of bikes first before you make a decision. Also bear in mind insurance costs. When you sit on the right bike for you, you'll know. It's like... It's like coming home! :thumbsup:

8. Mindcrime

Mindcrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    With bikes this day and age you can have just, if not more, fun on any 600 as you can on a bonkers 1000. My uncle has just 'downgraded' to a GSX-R 600R from a '98 R-1 and he says the performance difference is not too noticeable, he can make up the time in corners and only just loses out on long straight bits of road. Cripes, when he had his GSXR-400RR he would stonk the big bikes on corners. So, size isn't always everything, as the ladies like to have us believe:devil::devil:. All this talk has made me wanna go and buy one now - a nice Kawasaki Z1000, in bright orange. Enough to scare the moose!!!!

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'd like another bike - for commuting - I'd go for a middle weight as I know I would lose my licence on a big bike.

Over 20 years ago I owned a tuned Suzuki GP100 and at F Reg a GSX600

WIth the 600 I lost a Sierra Cosworth :rotfl:

10. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    If you are thinking about getting a Harley look at a Buell too...it's a Harley, but not as you know it. I am banned from getting a bike though by my folks as I have lost two friends and have three permanently damaged ones as a result...be careful out there!

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Like Master Rahl :confused:

12. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    Agree completely about being careful out there!
    I've plenty of freinds myself who've paid the ultimate price for the love of bikes :( I myself nearly lost my right arm in 98, humorus is now a nice metal job!
    Thing is you can't live your life thinking what if.

13. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    [​IMG] :eek: :rolleyes: :nono: ;)

14. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I think i'm going to wet myself :thumbsup: that is so chuffing funny :rotfl:

15. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,691
    Hahahha Ian, you bad man!!! I've lost friends to motorbike accidents and had a few myself but been relatively ok once I've recovered and it can be the most fun you have with your clothes on!!! I wouldn't put anyone off, but I'd like to help educate folks into good riding techniques (none of which I abide by) and most definately, buying the right gear!

16. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Hmmmm, motorbike.... [drools]
    Nearly 18 months since I sold mine.
    Don't worry about getting something underpowered or unfashionable. I had a couple of years on a Yamaha RXS100 which was a bit cramped. I then got a Diversion 600 which some would say was a bit boring, but it was plently fast enough. It could wipe the floor with any car from a standing start and get to 100 comfortably (fast enough for me).
    Now I'm starting to get a craving...
    Make sure you wear the right gear. I used to commute to work in my work clothes until a fellow biker gave me a bollocking and convinced me to wear the leathers all the time. I fell off a couple of times after that and was thankful to be wearing leathers (not a scratch - lucky :censored: )

17. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,691
    Better to have the right safety gear and not need it than need it and not have it! Plus I think anyone who goes on a bike without wearing decent bike gear looks like a ****.

18. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    I bought a 400 bandit for my first bike, i would reccommend buying a 600. The 400 just didnt have enough poke! having said that it was fantastic fun for a first bike and didnt give me a days trouble for the 2 years i owned it!

I agree totally, budget for decent kit, try ebay for some second hand stuff. i sold mine on there!

Enjoy biking!

mark

19. Mindcrime

Mindcrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I wouldn't even consider buying kit off of Ebay, what assurance do you have that it hasn't been scraped down the road, or even theirs to sell? Always buy new gear. You can get good new stuff really cheap this day and age. Just go to your local bike shop and get them to give you a discount if you buy your lid, gloves, jacket and pants in one go; I got about 30% knocked off when I got my stuff. Plus, if you are buying a bike from them they will normally throw in a free pair of gloves or something. Don't be cheap and buy secondhand gear, your life is worth more!

20. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
  21. Mindcrime

Mindcrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
  22. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ~ Hey thanks for all your input, to give you an update. Went to the Harley Garage to sit on the sportster, I made it look like a toy bike due to my gargantuen frame! So I tried the Harley Night Train! Whoop whoop - I need to extend the front pegs get a new seat and get a wider drag bar!

I need to do the Harley cetified test in Wales (1 week) and is classed as an advanced driving test so this lowers my insurance from 4K (I nearly fell off my seat!) to £700 much more respectable (considering this is first vehicle insurance!!)

So looks like I will be using the Harley to get to and from work and cruising in the summer!

23. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I got a bike in the mid 90's when I worked in London. Did an intensive course in Wimbledon on Honda CB125 then went off and bought Triumph Daytona 1000. Only dropped it once...and that was while I was doing about 2mph trying to do a very slow sharp full lock turn about a month after getting the thing.

Not sure about Harleys but with sports bkes the running costs are what no-one tells you when you buy the thing. Service costs usually vary hugely between dealers and in my experience with my Triumph dealers they are highkly variable in competence. The costs for chains and especially Tyres is high and with a sports bike you are going to go through tyres fast.....2000miles and £200 .....my VW tyres lasted 23000miles......and cost £160 each. Bit of a difference....of course riding the bike was more fun than driving a TDI VW...hahahaha.....

Like other bike riders I too wonder how I managed to stay alive with my antics on the thing. They are dangerous and you do need to have real respect for the machine and be VERY aware of the other road users who are more likely to kill you than you are.

One day I'll get another bike, it's great fun,

Gordon

24. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I have heard a few scare stories from people that have riden or do ride! I have looked into the running costs for the Harley and they seem pretty reasonable. However I guess its one of those things I would really need to check before I hand over 11.5 K in one hit!

Cheers for all your help on this one, i'll post a photo of the beast after I've finished scraping the other 2K together to complete the deal!