1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think the convergence is off on my pv500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by FlyingBig, Aug 1, 2005.

1. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I need someone to carry out a simple task to see if it is just my set. Go to channel 437 and look at the prem plus logo (red button logo) and tell me if you see any green seeping out around parts of the edge. I have noticed during screen pans that white objects would have a hint of green around the edges as the screen panned, this almost certainly means my green needs adjusted or dare i say it i have another problem. :eek:

2. banditash

banditash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a bite of green around the lions crown and the red active logo has a gold halo but the rest of the picture is OK i think its just the computer graphics that sky use as its the same on my panny 28" crt tv. its the contras thing that p**s me off but if we are the guinea pigs then we will all ways have the faults to fined don't fancy waiting 12 months for the PV501 could be worse like seven guinea pigs hoping there space ship gets home in one piece

3. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well i checked the bush 28 inch widescreen tv we have in the living room and it shows no green at all. Interesting. Anyone else care to help out here?

4. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I'm afraid you have noticed something that afflicts some people and not others - it's all do do with peoples eyesight and how acute it is!

There have been many discussions about this phenomenon of motion blur on plasmsas which manifests itself as greenish edges on fast moving light coloured objects.

Do a search on "motion blur" here on this forum and on the US forum ...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=40

Once noticed it's always there :(

I actually returned Panasonic PWD7 because of this BUT I now realise that ALL plasmas suffer from this.

The crucial point IS - do your eyes NOTICE it !!!

The easiest and most severe test is to connect a PC via the VGA interface and have your desktop move a white box around (the MS dxdiag test provides a handy utility to do this - bouncing white box) You will clearly see the leading and trailing edges of this white box displaying a nasty greenish tinge. Run this test on a CRT and all you see is a blurred grey edge which is what you should be seeing.

No amount of tinkering with settings or swapping out plasmas will get rid of this.

Believe me - I've learnt the hard way.

Gussie :)

5. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Yep, I'm also one of the unlucky few who suffer from this side-effect with my Panny. Often referred to as the "rainbow effect".

I've had my plasma for 4 months now and am just learning to live with this side-effect.

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    "I think the convergence is off on my pv500"
    plasmas don't have convergence

Often referred to as the "rainbow effect".
    I thought that was on DLPs

7. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm very very short sighted (-8.25 | - 8.5) and I notice what looks like convergence issues on my PD7200 only when lying on the sofa and wearing my glasses .. it appears to be a glasses / angle thing.

Not unsurprising given the light jiggery pokery glasses that strong are up to :)

When watching from normal position and with glasses or contacts ... all is OK :smashin:

I've just upgraded from a 42" RP set and know exactly what convergence issues look like ... do you wear specs ??

8. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I wear specs but I get the same effect with my plasma whether I wear my specs or not and also it makes no difference what angle I watch the TV from.

9. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys, that sorts that one out. Tell you what i get less and less impressed with technology as days/weeks/years go by, i have also noticed when an object or person moves quickly accross the screen they leave a ghost effect that lags just behind and catches up when the object/person stops moving. It could be called ghosting but it almost looks like the edge enhancement (that surrounds most things on this telly/sky) is getting left behind for a second. Noticed this easily while watching f1 at the weekend. Those cars sure move fast lol. Bottom line is i am not impressed with plasma and my next purchase will NOT be a plasma. I may try lcd uless someone wants to inform me of the downsides of it, i know they suffer from motion blur but do they leave a green tinge as well?

10. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    FlyingBig, I think you're destined to be permanently disappointed. If you're unhappy with the PV500 as far as artifacts are concerned, then you're right to dismiss all other plasmas!

However, try watching SKY on any LCD and I guarantee you'll be more unhappy - plastic-looking skin tones, artifacts galore... DLP has the true 'rainbow effect', caused by the rotating colour wheel, and the screen dims massively the moment you move up or down. Projectors? Again, the rainbow effect is there, but the really expensive ones can mitigate it - but you'll need blackout blinds... And you want to see genuine convergence issues? Go back to CRT...

If you want the closest to perfection, you probably need dilsher's setup: Fujitsu HD 50", Lumagen scaler, and ISF. Not much change out of £6k, I'd reckon.

11. anticlaus105

anticlaus105

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If your prescription is that high I assume you have high index lenses in your spectacles. These have more chromatic aberration than lower index lenses. You will notice it more when looking away from the optic axis of the lenses.

12. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I suspect even that setup will still show green trails on the PC test I mentioned in the earlier thread.

If it doesn't I may well be interested in a trip to AV-Sales to see for myself.

Hmmm £5000 is a lot to pay to elliminate green trails :eek: !

Maybe living with a few imperfections isn't so bad after all.

13. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the feedback, i use a TFT screen with my pc and watch some downloaded content and it looks fine so i am optimistic that lcd will suit me. Also i will be feeding it high quality sources as much as possible as i think that i have just about had it as far a sky is concerned and i will not be buying anything judging how it performs with sky as it is very much in the past and i am looking 2 years up ahead. Luckily i am immune to the rainbows seen on dlp projectors so upgrading my h30 projector may be another option even if i do prefer an nice big tv screen over a projected image. Decisions Decisions.

14. BigGanja

BigGanja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    have you considered the idea of getting a "normal" PE50
    I mean, I was thinking, do we really need an HD display as of now? in Europe?

also keep in mind what It seems fine on a small LCD displaying VGA graphic may look atrocious on a big LCD TV
    LCDs are certainly the future but It's still a young technology IMO..

DLPs...bah, cartainly PQ is top-notch but they have lots of issues (not only rainbows) and most of them can't properly display NTSC/60Hz
    have a look in the DLP forum
    also If you're looking for a TV replacement, DLP is NOT the path to follow: you need a completely dark room (this may get frustrating after a while), high costs for replacements parts ect...

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Some people are never happy and every display technology has its weaknesses especially fixed pixel devices 3 chip DLP and LCOS offer some advantages but but what do you expect for £2k? if you are looking at £1,000,000 + displays then you have a better chance of seeing less issues with a very high qualit source Digital TV is pretty low quality and highly compressed. Alot of the issues you see are manifested in the source before it reaches the display in the cameras and editing equipment not to mention the broadcast system....................

16. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    There are some very good informative threads here ...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=5985416&&#post5985416

about the "green trailing" effect on plasmas - even from an owner of a brand new TH-42PWD8.

A good excerpt is this ...

... So today I was playing around with xbox, and they have this pong screen saver. a white blip moving around. And I noticed that the trailing edge is green, while the leading edge is purple.. Now this tells me that the green phosphors are not firing at the right time. That is, the purple edge comes from the red and blues firing, then the greens come on, produce a white image and at the end the reds and blues have turned off while the greens are still on. Hence the purple leading edge and the green trailing edge ...

I had exactly the result when running the "white bouncing box" MS dxdiag test with a PC connected.

If you run tests like these and the white object has green or purple edges as it moves - then you're gonna see this at one time or another when watching any source material.

It confirms my thoughts that this phenomenon is going to be present on most Plasmas - certainly Panasonics and Samsungs.

And so - anyone who is aware of this effect is going to have to either accept it or switch to CRT or LCD!