I think my Xbox is still drunk from xmas!

Barry the Brave

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy new year all!

I've managed to get on my xbox a couple of times since christmas, and I've noticed a couple of problems with it...

1. about 50% of the time when I boot it up, my theme reverts to the standard one, and even though all of my themes are still on the hard drive they don't appear on the select a theme menu. Then other times it's fine and they are all there. (The theme looks like the default one, but is still listed as Gears of war theme, even though that has disappeared from the list).

2. Sometimes I log on to xboxlive and it says at the bottom "5 friends online" etc, but the bit under my gamertag still says "connect to xboxlive" rather than listing my friends, messages etc.

Anyoine else having this?

I must be one of the lucky ones. Having just got my 360 back on live at christmas i have been on COD4 on-line most days without trouble. Happy new year to all btw.

Try taking out the harddrive and re-inserting it.

That's so simple it just might work! :rotfl: Cheers but I tried that already unfortunately! I was thinking there might be some bugs with the dashboard update. But if it's only me then it could be a problem with the hard drive.

i have had same prob and so has my mate who also plays on xbox live, when we eject a game it signs us out of xbox live, but sometimes like you said it has the connect to live option under gamertag but my friends on line still pop up on the screen, strange. i just put it down to lots of people being online after getting xbox live for xmas. Sometimes i get red light issues when i turn my xbox on and have to reboot it, hopefully my xbox isn't on the verge of breaking down.

i have had same prob and so has my mate who also plays on xbox live, when we eject a game it signs us out of xbox live, but sometimes like you said it has the connect to live option under gamertag but my friends on line still pop up on the screen, strange. i just put it down to lots of people being online after getting xbox live for xmas. Sometimes i get red light issues when i turn my xbox on and have to reboot it, hopefully my xbox isn't on the verge of breaking down.

Well the xbox live thing sounds like it could be down to busy servers then, but as for your red lights, that aint good - if it's not down to loose cables then maybe your xbox is in trouble.

Now if anyone else can confirm that they have had the problems I've been having with my themes then I'm sorted...

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/default.htm?WT.svl=nav
I get the same issues and when I checked this over the past few nights, it reported that users would experience certain issues. I think they have been boosting the server connections for GOW, COD4 and such like, but when I tried Test Drive Unlimited it just hangs on loading up. Eventually it gave up and said the Servers were unavailable but helpfully kept popping up to show other people on-line and playing games (i.e. Tetlee whupping butt). It could be the new download service is taking a toll but with no clear answers hopefully they will sort it out soon.
PJ
p.s. Just did a search and it seems to be documented here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=102902

Happy new year all!

I've managed to get on my xbox a couple of times since christmas, and I've noticed a couple of problems with it...

1. about 50% of the time when I boot it up, my theme reverts to the standard one, and even though all of my themes are still on the hard drive they don't appear on the select a theme menu. Then other times it's fine and they are all there. (The theme looks like the default one, but is still listed as Gears of war theme, even though that has disappeared from the list).

2. Sometimes I log on to xboxlive and it says at the bottom "5 friends online" etc, but the bit under my gamertag still says "connect to xboxlive" rather than listing my friends, messages etc.

Anyoine else having this?

I'm having the same problem.:(

Also if my router isn't switched on when I turn the 360 on but switch it on later I cannot connect to Live. If I switch the router on 1st then the 360 Live works.:confused:

Mines been playing up aswell, i think there is a problem with Live all around the world.

I'm having the same problem.:(

Also if my router isn't switched on when I turn the 360 on but switch it on later I cannot connect to Live. If I switch the router on 1st then the 360 Live works.:confused:

Strangely my first elite had that exact problem, but since getting a replacement it doesn't matter wether the router is switched on before or after, so it could be an issue with your console?

Strangely my first elite had that exact problem, but since getting a replacement it doesn't matter wether the router is switched on before or after, so it could be an issue with your console?

It's a new replacement sent by Microsoft after my last 360 died. I've only had this one since the end of November and because of Christmas I've not had much time on it.

Hope it is OK though as I'm now out of warranty now so it'd cost to repair. This is my 3rd 360 and I've never had a case of RROD.:confused:

:oops: Thats cursed it now hasn't it. :oops:

It's a new replacement sent by Microsoft after my last 360 died. I've only had this one since the end of November and because of Christmas I've not had much time on it.

Hope it is OK though as I'm now out of warranty now so it'd cost to repair. This is my 3rd 360 and I've never had a case of RROD.:confused:

:oops: Thats cursed it now hasn't it. :oops:

I wouldn't worry just yet; both of my elites had different ethernet cables with them, so maybe they found a fault in one type that causes this, it might not have much to do with the consoles. Apart from that my old elite was fine... until it red-ringed...

I use the same cable and router that I have used since september 2006... the only difference is the 360 manufactured end of August 2007.

I'm not too worried but it is annoying when I have to reboot the 360 to see if there is anyone around for a bit of mulitplayer.

Yeah that will be quite a hassle the longer it goes on. It's all these inexplicable little bugs that do my head in; why can't they all work the same, like megedrives used to :(

They're updating live which means it has been having weird problems I hear. I havent been having this problem but a friend of mine cant connect to live or its that friends list problem.

Fear not lads!!

You are not alone!!

There is a major problem with live right now and has been for some time now. It appears to be almost back to normal and is getting better with every passing day now it seems.

This should explain a lot.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673911

As for the problem with themes changing............no idea. If it was a free theme try deleting it from your hard drive and downloading again (once live is fixed of course).

Cheers, good to see I'm not the only one suffering (not meant in a malicious way).

Mine is getting legless now...

Last night I noticed that the controller connected light on the 360 (only one controller connected) kept swapping from top left to top right... every 10 minutes or so it changed but the controller stayed connected.

I assume that it's to do with the sensor that tells the 360 if it's vertical or horizontal. I've not moved the console at all though and this strange behavior only started last night.:rolleyes:

Mine is getting legless now...

Last night I noticed that the controller connected light on the 360 (only one controller connected) kept swapping from top left to top right... every 10 minutes or so it changed but the controller stayed connected.

I assume that it's to do with the sensor that tells the 360 if it's vertical or horizontal. I've not moved the console at all though and this strange behavior only started last night.:rolleyes:

I noticed mine doing that a few months ago. Thought nothing of it, until you just posted that

Mine did the sensor thing too, I think I posted on here about it a while back. In my case the console just needed turning on it's end and back to unstick the sensor; but I'd just moved it to take it to a mate's house. Don't know why yours did it if it's not been moved.

I think I will join the club.....:eek:

I have just played a xvid file, nothing new and looked at the output mode on my tv. It now shows 720p :eek: now I have just tried a dvd 'planet earth' and it shows 576i which is normal as I am only using component ;)

I don't know anything about xvids I'm afraid but component can go up to 1080p can't it? I might have misunderstood.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom