I think my Uncle should get rid of Cable/Blueyonder

ghinzani

Established Member
Reaction score
Visited my Uncle in SW London at the weekend, hes just bought a great big HD Sony TV but cable are being arses for some reason about their HD service. He's in a bit of a rush to get it sorted before the Ryder cup but I was amazed to hear what sorta deal he is on. Basically he has two cable boxes, one in the lounge with the HD tv and one in the office, and he pays 40quid a month for each!!. Add on top of that he pays another 20 odd quid for Blueyonder broadband. The problem is he wants to keep the Blueyonder broadband 'cos his work email uses the address and all their business cards say it on them.

I reckon he should be able to get a HD box for less than the Sky stated price of 300 if he haggles, plus a non HD standard box with a Freeview card in the office (they dont need all the channels there). If necessary he could get a 2nd hand standard Sky box off Ebay or even one of these from Lidl http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060828.p.Digital_Satellite_Receiver.ar6 . or even a 20 quid Freeview aerial type box...

As to the Broadband well Sky offer it free or cheap dont they? Im sure he could pay Blueyonder just to keep the email active and access it via the Net or even still download it into IE.

All this should cost him less than 100quid a month surely, with the added bonus of Sky plus and digital?

Anyone got any experience of this? I think monthly he is paying far too much and has'nt got HD either!

Firstly get your Uncle to get on the phone to BY. Don't tell then he wishes to leave but instead ask can they match Sky etc current offers. I got my NTL BB and phone reduced from £36 per month to £23.50 including 24/7 free 01 and 02 calls by mentioning TalkTalk.

I doubt Sky will haggle on HD. Why not ask BY for their HD box if its available in his area.

You can't get Freeview with a satellite box, you can get Freesat. The channels carried are different. The Lidl box, no doubt sold out by now, will not receive CH4, Five or Sky Three, which a Sky box with a Freesat card will. A Freesat card, which will last at least three years, will cost £20 plus the cost of the Sky box. Or get Freeview £25 for a box.

I doubt BY will accept a payment just to keep an e-mail address alive. Why does he not make a one off move to another (non ISP supplier i.e Yahoo.com amongst others) where you can get personalised e-mail address for a fee and he can keep indefinitely and use with any ISP?

Fred Smith said:
Why does he not make a one off move to another (non ISP supplier i.e Yahoo.com amongst others) where you can get personalised e-mail address for a fee and he can keep indefinitely and use with any ISP?

Businesses with yahoo and other free email addresses are always regarded with suspicion in most circles - because you can open one within minutes with no credentials whatsover whereas an address with major isps proves at least you have a paid for setup with some sort of tracibilty.

Switch to NTL/Telewest you will get a better deal and will still end up cheaper then Sky.

davemurgatroyd2 said:
Businesses with yahoo and other free email addresses are always regarded with suspicion in most circles - because you can open one within minutes with no credentials whatsover whereas an address with major isps proves at least you have a paid for setup with some sort of tracibilty.

I was not suggesting a free e-mail address. You can pay and get [email protected] etc from providers like Yahoo. There is no yahoo in the address at all, you just use their servers!

triplea4uk said:
Switch to NTL/Telewest you will get a better deal and will still end up cheaper then Sky.

He's already with Telewest!

There's no reason why he couldn't keep blueyonder as his ISP and switch to SKY for the rest - at least until his current supply of business cards run out.

My mother has cable broadband since she was so far from the exchange, she got lousy ADSL. But she keeps her BT phone and Sky.

I think most business should have a dedicated domain name now - while using an established ISP in your email address is better than a freebie account, it still doesn't project a really professional image.

Your uncle could buy a domain name plus some hosting and outgoing/incoming email addresses at that domain for under ÂŁ30 a year.

Applespider said:
There's no reason why he couldn't keep blueyonder as his ISP and switch to SKY for the rest - at least until his current supply of business cards run out.

My mother has cable broadband since she was so far from the exchange, she got lousy ADSL. But she keeps her BT phone and Sky.

I think most business should have a dedicated domain name now - while using an established ISP in your email address is better than a freebie account, it still doesn't project a really professional image.

Your uncle could buy a domain name plus some hosting and outgoing/incoming email addresses at that domain for under ÂŁ30 a year.

I would keep telewest for everything far better and end up cheaper if you have package you will beable to do a deal on BB.

Thanks all - he's with Sky now, still paying a small fortune mind...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom