I think my receiver has gone into protection mode

Kempstar76

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a marantz sr7010 and it won't start. Comes on then turns of with the power button flashing red. From what I've read on this forum it sounds like it's has gone into protection mode is something that I can do. On an old marantz post somewhere someone suggests pressing 8 buttons simultaneously does anybody have any knowledge of this with what buttons I would press on this particular receiver I have. Really hope there is a fix as not under warranty.

Have you tried disconnecting everything and seeing of it will power on then?

I've found with mine it will occasionally act a bit weird, completely removing power and reconnecting solves this.

Check that all your speaker wires have no stray ends.

I have a marantz sr7010 and it won't start. Comes on then turns of with the power button flashing red. From what I've read on this forum it sounds like it's has gone into protection mode is something that I can do. On an old marantz post somewhere someone suggests pressing 8 buttons simultaneously does anybody have any knowledge of this with what buttons I would press on this particular receiver I have. Really hope there is a fix as not under warranty.
How frequent are the flashes?

From the 7010 manual:
Power turns off and the power indicator flashes in red approx. every 2 seconds.
  • The protection circuit has been activated due to a rise in temperature within this unit. Turn the power off, wait about an hour until this unit cools down sufficiently, and then turn the power on again.
Power turns off and the power indicator flashes in red approx. every 0.5 seconds.
  • Check the speaker connections. The protection circuit may have been activated because speaker cable core wires came in contact with each other or a core wire was disconnected from the connector and came in contact with the rear panel of this unit. After unplugging the power cord, take corrective action such as firmly re-twisting the core wire or taking care of the connector, and then reconnect the wire.
  • Turn down the volume and turn on the power again.
  • This unit’s amplifier circuit has failed. Unplug the power cord and contact our customer service center
If 0.5 seconds flash try either yanking all the speaker cables completely and seeing if it will power on.
Or to determine which is at fault remove one pair at a time and trying to power on each time. Sods law it will be the last ones you remove which will have the problem...:(
If that fails remove all cables from the AVR and try power on again.
If that fails you could try a factory reset. Marantz SR7010 & SR6010 Owners thread

None of them work you may have the final bullet point above :eek:

Last edited:
Try these instructions below.

Attachments

• marantz1.PNG
    marantz1.PNG
    172.9 KB · Views: 1,428
  • marantz2.PNG
    marantz2.PNG
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,557
Held down pure direct m dax dynamic eq dynamic vol and it says protection pass then goes to HDMI and then goes on to analogue it says cable sat stereo but when switch of then back on. It does not work again just red flashing

Have had ago at holding down zone select and back then power and soon as I press enter it powers of

Held down pure direct m dax dynamic eq dynamic vol and it says protection pass. Managed to get it on but the left side speaker is just humming. All the other speakers are working. But if I switched it off ih e to do the same sequence of button again so I believe I've blown the left channel. Were could I get this repaired I live in Kent.

Well have tried everything I understand what to do and believe it's my left channel blown not sure where my closest marantz repair is and how much it would cost as I said have no warranty so not sure what to do

Well have tried everything I understand what to do and believe it's my left channel blown not sure where my closest marantz repair is and how much it would cost as I said have no warranty so not sure what to do
How old is the 7010? Have you tried another speaker in that channel just in case it's a blown speaker rather than channel?

Contact Marantz UK
If your unit needs serviced and is out of its warranty period contact Marantz UK customer service in writing. You can find address details on the “Contact Us” section of our website. We will advise you of the name and location of one or more authorised Marantz service agents from which service can be obtained.
Marantz UK | Service Information
Or contact one of the two companies listed on the link above.

Hi, i don't have a Marantz but a Yamaha. I've posted a thread myself this week but had zero replies to it. very similar problem to yours except i have NO Power Light no Standby light. The only obvious symptom is a failing flickering LED display. I've taken it apart to notice a very obvious swelling on a capacitor on the LED display board. Maybe our symptoms are related?

Hi, i don't have a Marantz but a Yamaha. I've posted a thread myself this week but had zero replies to it. very similar problem to yours except i have NO Power Light no Standby light. The only obvious symptom is a failing flickering LED display. I've taken it apart to notice a very obvious swelling on a capacitor on the LED display board. Maybe our symptoms are related?
What model Yamaha?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom