1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my NW-HD3 has died !

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Kano, May 6, 2005.

1. Kano

Kano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My player has stopped playing. It was OK yesterday. If I press any button on the player or on remote control the 'walkman' logo appears and there is a constant beeping noise via the headphones. No music. The player then turns itself off after 30-40 seconds.

I have had the player just under 5 months. I last charged it via my pc approx 6 days ago and i have not dropped it for at least 2 months and that was only 50cm from ground. The remote control (RM-MC11EL) shows battery bar as full. I only noticed on way to work this morning so i have not had a chance to re-connect to PC via USB lead.

To make matters worse, my pc crashed 3 weeks ago and i lost all my music. Im going to have to start all over again :mad:

Help ! Any ideas ?

2. soggs

soggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    Have you tried turning the battery off via the switch on the bottom. I had a problem with mine where it would only play the first 6 seconds of a track then silence, but by turning the battery off then on again the unit worked fine.

3. Kano

Kano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read something similar to my problem on an earlier thread and tried switching the battery off. But this makes no difference.

4. soggs

soggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    Sorry it didn't work, just a thought. I hope you get it sorted!!

5. himdman

himdman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a known problem for the HD3.
    The flatcable between the HD and mainboard is either loose or
    poorly mounted.
    Intermittend startup or play problems are the result.
    So either open the HD3 and reconnect the flatcable securely if you think you're skilled enough or send the unit of to Sony.

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    1st I heard of it. But sliding the built in battery switch, off then on again worked for me... :)

7. Kano

Kano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im not confident enough to open it up, plus it is only 5 months old and under warrantee.

I called Sony and they told me to send it to them, so thats what im going to do.

Thanks for the help.

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    good luck

9. abbabb

abbabb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That happened to mine, I took it back to the Sony store I bought it from and they said that, "They had never heard of this problem" (although it doesn't seem that rare from what I've heard elsewhere) and also said it was not fixable and could only replace the unit. A lot of my music wasn't backed-up so I lost lots. It was highly annoying and entirely unprovoked.

10. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont get why people dont backup their music, i mean a 20gig hdd for a pc is about £10 at the most and if you go to the trouble of ripping a lot of cds i would be damn sure to keep the mp3 files safe! i use my pc for listening to music more than my hd3 tbh so i have all mu music on it anyway. plus transferring to and from the hd3 is a pain in the a$£ so save the bother and keep it on your pc [/preaching]

11. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    exactly. maybe people didn't realise hdd's are cheap now?

12. Kano

Kano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My music was backed up on my pc. it crashed I could not repair or open windows in safe mode. I had no choice but do a fresh install. When i reconnected the player the pc would not recognise the files on the player ( I had read about this before). 2 weeks later the player also died on me.

I will back up on my 2nd drive next time. Hopefully this will not die on me too.

p.s I also found out my sony mini disc player, which i gave to my dad will not allow you to copy music to the mini disc. But its now out of warrentee.

Everything i touch dies. I feel like the grim reaper, or at least a junior version :)

I have posted the player to Sony. so lets wait and see what happens.