1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my HS10 is just about to pack in....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by John_N, Mar 19, 2003.

1. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the lamp bug has resurfaced again after a quiet time.

Projector wouldn't start this evening and the fan wouldn't turn properly - sort of jerking backwards and forwards.

Turned it off, waited, tried again. Lamp wouldn't start.

Did the same for approx five goes in succession. Lamp still wouldn't start (lamp/cover light on).

Finally unplugged it totally and left it for 10 minutes. Tried again. Lamp started OK.

Lamp has 150hrs on it.

Is it my imagination or is this getting worse???

:(

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, your imigination :)

3. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

I don't think it's your imagination(sorry Kramer),but my
    HS10 after apprx.50 hrs is getting worse,it can take now anything
    up to 10 mins or more of swithing off/on to get the bulb to fire.
    Taking it back to Nexnix next week,

Rash

4. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Is the HS10 the new AE100?

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    This seems to be down to just a bad batch of bulbs so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also for anyone planning to buy a HS10, it does not seem to affect the latest batch. Someone on AVS (Russel1 I think) bought his from pricejapan (like myself) and was told of the hundreds of HS10s they had shipped his was the first that they heard of exibiting this problem. He only had to return the bulb, not the projector.

The picture quality on this projector is truly amazing (to my eye anyway) and I hope that this minor teething problem doesn't put people off purchasing it. For myself the difference between my old Tosh MT3 and the HS10 is huge. For the first time since I got into these LCD projectors (I'm on number 4) I can enjoy a movie without ever being distracted by picture quality problems. In the past when I would think back on watching a movie, my predominant memory would have been of tearing, jerky pans, vertical banding etc. That is no longer the case. Now I just think about the movie experience with no other distracting thoughts.

Conor:) :)

6. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I hear too - the problem is due to a faulty batch of bulbs.

I don't see how that could have caused the fan to fail to turn but I guess there's a linkage there. Restarting the unit without even touching the fan meant it started to turn. Strange.

I'm going to contact nexnix I think and try to get the bulb replaced.

7. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS. The unit is very very good. But the lamp bug is very annoying given the amount of money it cost. You don't expect to spend more than two grand on a piece of kit and then have problems with it from 50hrs onwards.

I'm currently discussing the problem with nexnix - they initially said that I should return the whole unit. I'm now looking to see whether I can get just the lamp sent to me, a replacement loan unit, a replacement unit, or a refund. I don't really want to do without the projector whilst sony mess around fixing it.

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Try sending them a link to the thread discussing this on AVS

Conor

9. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Comer,

I totally agree with you,the PJ is an absolute FAB,just annoying
    that it doen't "fire" the first time! and I hope it's only the bulb
    problem and not the "design" problem which may plague the Pj
    for the rest of it's life!!!

Rash

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As said, it's only the bulb that's responsible. Nearly all repaired units in the US have ONLY had their bulbs replaced.

But better get onto your suppliers now & see what they suggest. I'll certainly not be sending in my complete PJ just for a bulb change.

Fab unit though. Fitting my new screen later - yipee :clap:

11. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Mine has just failed to start after 8 attempts of a "cold" start, just mailed nexnix to see what they say.

I've had the very occaisional problem up till now but it has always started 2nd attemp from cold.

I'll report back.:(

12. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read up on my statutory rights and then I spoke to Nexnix again and told them I wasn't prepared to lose the projector for it to be repaired, pointing out that the projector had been exhibiting problems from about 50 hours and for such an expensive item of equipment, I thought that would be viewed as non acceptable.

Nexnix agreed to replace the unit with a brand new one. I have an RMA number and I will be returning my HS10 to them forthwith.

Here's hoping that the replacement doesn't have the lamp bug...

I wouldn't let this put anyone off the HS10 by the way. I gather that it is a batch of faulty bulbs or faulty units.

If it does it again though, I'll be investigating refund time and defecting to another unit. Fingers crossed eh?

J

13. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just phoned Nexnix to explain the problem and they immediatly offered an exchange. I'm a bit disappointed that its happened but I cant complain about the service.

Glad I bought it in the UK from them.:)

14. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Nexnix offered to change my PJ,I am seeing them on monday
    with it and also demo Denon 3803 amp at the same time,

Rash

15. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HS10 went back today via Securicor :(

I'm expecting the replacement later this week.

When I get it, I'll set it up with the CC30R filter and see what that is like...

J

16. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Spicer:

Did you get your HS10 sent back to nexnix? I spoke to nexnix this morning and asked what would happen if the new HS10 I got was faulty - since a few people are reported to be on their 3rd of 4th HS10.... They said that they would swap the HS10 for a new unit again, or would replace it with a different unit by a different manufacturer if you pay the difference in cost as appropriate. That sounds reasonable to me.

I'm getting the new HS10 on Friday. Fingers crossed.

J

17. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi John_N

Yes I swopped my HS10 yesterday, they pixel checked it before I took it away, I've got to say they seem to be very reasonable about the situation.

Lets hope this one lasts longer.

Regards

18. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just to add, maybe its Sony that are very reasonable about the situation or maybe they realise that there are real problems with this machine.

19. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Nexnix swap my HS10 with a brand new one yesterday.They were extremely helpfull.Let's hope the problem has gone away!!!!

Rash

20. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Im amazed at how grateful you lot are to a company that is selling you projectors for £2K that do not work properly.

Instead of being so thankful that theyare willing to sort out your problems , you should be asking for compensation for the messing about !!, it seems to me that with projectors, people seem so accepting of shoddy goods!

21. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You do have a point. I think maybe people are so used to shoddy service here in the UK that when you do find a retailer / company that is a little better, you end up being over-grateful.

When I receive my new HS10, I will be watching it carefully. One instance of it not starting and it has a very good chance of going back to be replaced by a different model of projector.

22. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I also think that would be reasonably within their rights to send it off to Sony for repair at 2 months old, so I'm quite pleased at a swop out policy.

23. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John S:

Yes I agree. However, once your HS10 has been swapped for another new unit, if that unit then malfunctions in the same manner, this then demonstrates a design problem with the unit and one which warrants a refund since it is essentially not fit for purpose. A unit which retails at this sort of price level should have a longevity and reliability that is measured in years rather than months. A unit that is not fit for purpose automatically infringes your statutory rights as a consumer. These rights are automatically against the reseller or retailer rather than against the manufacturer so I am not entirely surprised that nexnix are defending themselves in this manner by swapping out faulty HS10 units They will then be able to claim refund from Sony for the faulty unit and the net result is no loss for nexnix and a happy customer who has just paid for carriage of the unit out of their own pocket and who has not claimed compensation for loss of use of the unit due to repair (which in the case of repeated and well documentated failure would also be due under your statutory rights).

Altogether, I am still pleased with nexnix and the HS10 and I hope that I do not have any further problems with the new one.
    J

24. alanesmith

alanesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I also have this start up problem; I’m on my 3rd hs10 due to bright pixels

One of the previous units also had start up problem, my current unit is one of the new batch with a later software version 1.04

Has any body gone for just a new bulb with any success?

Alan

25. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nexnix told me that they were not replacing the bulbs despite having a number of requests to do so because it would mess up the warranties with Sony and they would be unable to return the units to sony to get a refund. They said they preferred to just swap the unit out and send the unit back to Sony and hence Sony gives them a refund.

26. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John_n ,

Earlier you mentioned about cc30r filter,Is it better then
    the one supplied by Sony,and if so where can i buy it and
    what sort of price is it?

Thanks,

Rash

27. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cinema filter supplied by sony is a standard 67mm filter.

You can buy CC30R and CC40R filters from www.srbfilm.co.uk You just ask for a 67mm CC30R or CC40R filter.

They are £18 inclusive of P&P.

The picture IS better than the cinema filter. However, it is a bit darker with the CC40R filter. I haven't tried the CC30R yet because my replacement HS10 is not arriving until Friday.

The 30 or the 40 refers to the darkness of the colour in the filter and the 'R' means red, so therefore a CC30R is less 'red' than a CC40R if you see what I mean.

Once either of these filters is fitted, the picture will look very red. You will need to enter the 'service mode' and alter the gain and bias values on your unit to bump up the green and blue and make the colours neutral again. This is the hard part.

A CC40R filter sometimes means that the red actually has to be 'reduced' as well as green and blue increased to get the colours right. This in theory has the effect of reducing the overall brightness.

A CC30R, because it is paler, in theory should mean that you leave the red drive the same and just increase green and blue. This should mean a brighter picture.

I'll post on the results when I get the HS10 and I've fitted and calibrated the new filter.

J

28. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

Thanks for the info. I will wait for your trials of cc30 filter ,and then
    decide which one to go for, another thing,John, how does
    one get into the service menu?

Many thanks,

Rash

Ps. My replacement HS10 so far is doing fine,fingers crossed!!

29. alanesmith

alanesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rash

service menu is enter, enter, left, enter, up

Alan

30. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member