• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I think my dog is "intellectually disabled".

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Carrying on from this thread...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/general-chat/1269609-politically-correct-terminology.html

I think my dog is <insert appropriate comment here>.

Some of her behaviour include;
  • Sitting on stairs. Not just sitting on them but at a weird angle. She sits on 3 stairs, her bum on 1, back legs 1 step down and front legs another step down. She will sit like this for hours while we watch TV etc.

• While sitting on the stairs, she will always sit far enough up that she can stare at us through the railings. Never sits near the bottom where she can see us unobstructed, always half way up so she can peer through the bannisters.

• Licks the cupboards. Sometimes she does this when she's chasing reflections (obsessed with shadows and reflections) but other times she'll just randomly lick the cupboard or even the wall. Not just a quick lick either, as if something tasty was on it. She'll plant her tongue on it and just sit there, stuck to the cupboard, drool running down from her mouth.

• Staring again. If she's not doing it from behind the banisters she'll just sit beside you and stare into your eyes. It's not coz she wants something either, she could have just eaten, had a drink, dumped and been for a walk and she'll still do it.

• She also hasn't the sense to stop when something is killing her. She loves chasing lights, like the reflection off a CD. My sister in law played in the garden for hours with her one day in strong sunlight. Daft dog was near collapsed from exhaustion but still wanted to keep going. SIL got a chewing for it, she hadn't realised how knackered the dog was, but the mutt hadn't the brains to stop either!

• There's more but I can't remember.

Anyone experience of a dog with special needs/intellectual disability?

Last edited:

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Question the first - is said dog a thoroughbred?

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
We don't have a dog but if we did I would want it to be as daft as a brush. Keep on keeping on I say :smashin:

Prasius

Established Member
In isolation you'd think my parents Springer was retarded... but then they all seem like it.. ;)

bodoman

Distinguished Member
The dog probably thinks your the weird one, thats why he keeps staring at you from behind a protective set of bars from a safe distance.:laugh:

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Purebred as far as I know, but don't have papers, she was adopted. She's a rottweiler.

I don't have any problem with her behaviour, it's hilarious especially the cupboard licking. That has earned her the nickname "window licker" after a Billy Connolly joke...

We have 2 dogs, and both my wife and I have had dogs all our lives and we've just never come across such a strange one!

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Purebred as far as I know

Then there's your answer - the more in-breeding that has been done to get to your dog, the more loopy it will be.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
[*]Licks the cupboards. Sometimes she does this when she's chasing reflections (obsessed with shadows and reflections) but other times she'll just randomly lick the cupboard or even the wall. Not just a quick lick either, as if something tasty was on it. She'll plant her tongue on it and just sit there, stuck to the cupboard, drool running down from her mouth.

You say hilarious, I stay stomach churning.
Mind you, I convinced myself my mother's dog had special needs which required me to give it a kick up the ass every now and then.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Then there's your answer - the more in-breeding that has been done to get to your dog, the more loopy it will be.

She doesn't look inbred though. 2 main signs of bad breeding are a departure from the normal look of the breed, (I've posted pics of her on Rottweiler forums and they say she looks full bred) and the other would be poor health, hips etc and she's fine medically too.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
You get a pure-bred dog by in-breeding! Or at least it's one unethical way of doing it.

imightnotbeadogexpert

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
I'll never have a dog.:smashin:

Sarcastic answer A...

You're mad! You'll never understand the joy and fulfillment that dog ownership brings. You probably secretly want a dog but you're trying to convince yourself that you don't. There's something wrong with people who don't want dogs. Who's going to keep you company when you're old and your kids have abandoned you because you're grumpy and smell of pee?

Sarcastic answer B...

No problem, I fully respect your decision not to have a dog. Assuming that you share my feelings on dogs would be silly! Every man and woman is entitled to their own opinions on dog ownership and none are more correct than the others.

:smashin: :rotfl:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
No, seriously, I'll never have a dog again.
I've grown to hate them, with a passion.
I have owned some before though, so I'm not speaking from ignorance.

SanPedro

Prominent Member
We have a nutty dog. She's a Finnish Spitz and daft as a brush. Ours will often sit on the stairs at weird angles. Will chase around the garden if you kick a ball about till she drops.

We've taken her to dog training but goes nuts in the company of other dogs. Not vicious or anything but would be totally agitated the whole training session. With people she's as soft as anything and really good natured.

But she's completely loveable.

I'd only be worried if she was doing anything dangerous to other dogs and/or people, or had an uneven temperament - especially a dog that size.

NewfieDrool

Banned
My dog has special needs.
He thinks its special to sit in front of you while you eat your dinner and then he throws a king size drool onto your plate.
Not to bad if you have gravy as you can stir it in most of the time:eek:
Oh and having a 60Kg plus dog who loves your garden pond and likes to share the stinky pond life with you while you watch your latest Blu-ray movie.:D

wack

Prominent Member
I used to have a Boxer dog that was stupid,

I took him for a walk beside the canal, saw him heading towards a section of it covered in green algae, in a sort of a slowmo moment I shouted NOOOOOOO, too late, spadoosh, the look on his face when he realised it wasn't grass, I had to haul him out by the collar covered in it.

Then one winter I took him to a huge empty car park with a ball, threw the ball then I hid behind a post which was 4 inches in diameter, I was sticking out a foot each side, he ran round for 20 minutes looking for me

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom