I think I've solved the 'can't find internet' and EPG Guide problem in MCE

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by jmbrailsford, Mar 10, 2006.

?
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Hi,
    just spent the last 2 days setting up my HTPC running Windows Media Edition and was completely stumped when trying to check the Internet connection. This also caused the lack of EPG Guide in the My TV section as obviously no internet meant no TV Guide downloaded.

I spent all all morning trying to solve this problem and I think I have, well I now have Internet showing as 'CONNECTION OK' when testing for it and have downloaded the latest EPG for my Nebula DVB-T card.

I know many of you probably have the same problem and so far I haven't seen a definitive answer and I suspect this is because no-one really knows why the problem exists.

I discovered how to do the following whilst trying to download and install and 3rd Party EPG Guide called MCE WEBGUIDE 3 which is as it sounds is a web based EPG Guide that you can use in MCE ( Media Centre Edition ).

I downloaded it and on attempting to install it it told me that a Windows Component was missing which is probably missed out during the initial MCE/XP install process.

I did the following but gave up installing WEBGUIDE 3 as it seemed to stall, when I rebooted the computer ( it hung whilst installing webguide - hence the reboot ) so not sure if the MCE guide now working due to partial install of WEBGUIDE 3 or just due to the right component now being installed, whichever it is it certainly works, I removed WEBGUIDE via ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMMES in any case and it told me it hadn't properly installed so I suspect that the component is the bit you need NOT WEBGUIDE 3.

The missing component is 'INTERNET INFORMATION SERVICES' this component I am sure is essential to the internet connection AND being able to download any EPG Guide required. I think it also shows up on Microsoft site as IIS 6.0 or similar.

Here's how you install it ( Please note you require SP2 )

1. Look out your Windows XP Media Centre Disc 1

2. Go to ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMMES and select ADD COMPONENTS from the side menu.

3. A list will appear and this will include the option to select the INTERNET INFORMATION SERVICES component - TICK the box.

4. You will now be asked for the XP disc.

Now comes the tricky bit, you now need to find the correct DLL file from the disc when it asks for it, bear with me here as I am typing this from memory. It will ask you to install a DLL file from within the i386 Folder so you have to browse the disc until you find the correct folder and then install the appropriate DLL file. ie: you are using the 'HAVE DISC' option and then browsing the i386 Folder to get the right DLL.

Be patient with the install as it takes a wee while to work, it will then ask for another DLL file, browse the disc again or just go 'UP A LEVEL' within the same folder as you found the first DLL file and then choose the next DLL file to install. You will know it's the right DLL file because the OK button will grey out when clicked and the disc will spin.

Once this is done you are probably best to restart the computer and then proceed to your Media Centre and then go to the TV setup page and try and download the EPG guide again, it should work, it did for me anyway.

Once this was done I went back and tested the INTERNET CONNECTION and it confirmed it as being ok.

Like I say I apologise if this seems longwinded and a bit vague near the end, it's all from memory.

Fingers crossed it works the same for you.

Cheers,
    Mike.

PS: here's the link to the WEBGUIDE 3 page incase you need it - http://asciiexpress.com/webguide/

2. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Odd... my MCE guide download works fine.. and no components of IIS installed. Its just plugged into my home network via one of those "ethernet over mains plugs" and the other end into my router.

3. Nick_W

Nick_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Sorry, no it isn't. It's installed by WebGuide so it can run on the local MCE machine's web server (IIS), that's all. It has nothing to do with whether the machine can connect to the 'net or not.

HTH,

Nick.

4. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Hi Nick,
    I realise that component is required for Webguide, it asked for it. However the installation of Webguide failed and it is not on my machine. I am wondering if during the install process that when it asked to open Port 80 I think it was that this is now the reason I am accessing the net?

All I know is that 100's of people out there are having the same no internet connection found and no TV Guide errors, and I was unable to access the internet or TV Guide until I tried to install Webguide and then added the IIS component.

I will try later if I get the chance and remove the IIS component and see if it makes any difference although I am loathe to muck about with any settings as all seems fine just now.

I realise what I posted above might not help, and if you don't have any problems with Net acccess or your TV Guide then count yourself lucky, have a Google and see how many other threads and sites have postings with exactly the same problem, in fact search this and the PC Forum and you will find loads of requests for help with this very same problem. All I was trying to suggest was one possible solution.

I know as far as I was concerned before I tried the above scenario I was -

1. Unable to access the interent via Media Centre

2. Unable to download the TV Guide

Now I have both?

It certainly worked for me.

:smashin:

Mike.

5. WheresMyArtisan

WheresMyArtisan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I've never installed IIS on any of my 3 MCE machines and have never had this problem. All are connected via a wired network to a router, to an NTL broadband connection. I've never touched any network/internet settings, and everything is left at default.

IIS is only required if you want an internet server, e.g. web server, ftp server etc.

I don't mean to state the obvious, but have you checked whether there is an intermittent network/router/broadband problem? Have you changed any network settings from their defaults? Are you using wireless networking?

6. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    You really don't want to be installing IIS on a PC with a permanent Web connection without running the IIS lockdown tool; your PC will be a hackers dream!

It's unlikely that installing IIS will have been the actual fix for your problem, probably installing IIS has just installed or modified another component that has resolved your problem, maybe .Net framework or even just opened up a couple of TCP ports that was cauisng your initial problem.

7. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm now wrestling with a Technotrend Budget S-1500 card...

After installing the card my onboard ethernet card was trashed and I had to re-install the drivers for this card. This was preventing me from getting the EPG... and generally connecting to the internet.
    I suspect that the problem you've experienced is the same as mine - a hardware problem caused by installation of a DVB card ?