• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I think I remember .... A nostalgia thread with possible difference

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Im 32 and besides those clear memories of things from Childhood (TV, Films, Toys etc) I also have glimpses of things that I dont quite remember (and may not even be true)

The current ones are

1. A novel, for children, about (I belive) a ghost where early on in the book the main character is exploring a house, be it attic or cellar, and there is a bottle behind a brick in the wall
  2. A TV Programme, possibly quite well known, set in New Zealand and having something to do with a volcano.
  3. Another TV programme (i think) where all I can remember is a red cross being painted on peoples doors, possibly shown around the same time as the above, Saturday morning before swap shop time
  4. pac man cards ! did these exist ? like scratch game cards where there where little silver circles you scratched off to "play" pac man

As said, all are just "glimpses" and parts of memories, but just wandered i anyone can shed any light on them

In actual fact I think the name of the Volcano programme just came to be, something like "Children of Firetop Mountain" so am off to google :)

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
I remember this bizzare program about a group of friends who had the shrunken head of a South American tribesman in a wooden box. They would get themselves in to various scrapes, and as I recall, the little decapitated head would make it rain, and that would aid their escape.

Nobody I spoke to could remember anything about it, and thought I was bonkers.

After much searching - I found it. It was just as bizzare as I remember.

YouTube - Chico The Rainmaker

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
I remember this bizzare program about a group of friends who had the shrunken head of a South American tribesman in a wooden box. They would get themselves in to various scrapes, and as I recall, the little decapitated head would make it rain, and that would aid their escape.

Nobody I spoke to could remember anything about it, and thought I was bonkers.

After much searching - I found it. It was just as bizzare as I remember.

YouTube - Chico The Rainmaker

That does look bonkers, and makes my few memories look normal :)
Should add, due to my age would say all of my "glimpses" would be from early 80s, with the book probably being something I read when I was around 10

WibXL

Prominent Member
The book sounds familiar, was the ghost in the bottle?

EDIT: I think the book was called The ghost of Thomas Kempe.
EDIT EDIT: The scratch cards.

Last edited:

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
The book sounds familiar, was the ghost in the bottle?

EDIT: I think the book was called The ghost of Thomas Kempe.
EDIT EDIT: The scratch cards.

You sir are BRILLIANT
Thats certainly the book in question and those are certainly the cards

Cheers :thumbsup:

Just the TV shows to go or now. Def think the Tv was "Children of firetop mountain" but not sure what the one wit the red crosses on the door was

WibXL

Prominent Member
Strange how memories can come back with just a slight bit of prodding, must be almost twenty years since I've read that book and I had forgotten all about it until today.

vader100

Prominent Member
I have this ....memory? delusion? that at the end of Rocky IV,the one with the russian, that Rocky hits the machine that measured Drago's punching strength and breaks it. I can't find anyone to back up this. I got the dVD recently and it isn't on there. Anyone else know anything or am I going crazy in my mid 30's?:confused:

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Just the TV shows to go or now. Def think the Tv was "Children of firetop mountain" but not sure what the one wit the red crosses on the door was

turn of the century tale, moralistic in nature, distrust of the natives, pirates/smuggling, etc, later on trust is gained between the natives and settlers, almost, and all under constant fear the volcano will go at any moment, which it did, when it blew its stack, at the end of the series..:rotfl:
thats the Children of Firetop Mountain alright..:smashin:

xit2050

Prominent Member

I completely forgot about that one.
Great find.
:thumbsup:

xit2050

Prominent Member
I have this ....memory? delusion? that at the end of Rocky IV,the one with the russian, that Rocky hits the machine that measured Drago's punching strength and breaks it. I can't find anyone to back up this. I got the dVD recently and it isn't on there. Anyone else know anything or am I going crazy in my mid 30's?:confused:

Doesn't ring a bell here.
:confused:

Revaan

Established Member

I dont remember it neither but I also have a similar delusion... at the end of Trainspotting, Renton last scene is as a stockbroker dealing on the phone. Every viewing I catch on tv doesnt support this.
Im going crazy me thinks too...

unique

I dont remember it neither but I also have a similar delusion... at the end of Trainspotting, Renton last scene is as a stockbroker dealing on the phone. Every viewing I catch on tv doesnt support this.
Im going crazy me thinks too...

that doesn't happen in trainspotting, but ewan macgregor plays stockbroker nick leeson in the movie rogue trader, and he has a short stint as an estate agent/letting agent in trainspotting, so you are probably getting the two movies mixed up. could be worse, i once imagined renton with a lightsabre

fizl

Prominent Member
I remember reading a book as a teenager in theh 80's about a vampire that kept souls in a little flasks that was worn on a necklace, and I think a girl was trying to get her soul back.

Anyone remember it?

Shaz

vader100

Prominent Member

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Can I post one?
A book I remember from the school library (bookshelf) I read when I was about 10 - 1977/78.
Myer The Wonder Horse - two children - boy with pilot skills and girl with horse skills - help their uncle enter a robot horse in something like the Grand National.
I guess there's a large turnover of children's novels, but whilst any title by eg. Enid Blyton can still be found, this one hasn't jumped off Google at me.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom