1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I leapt before I looked!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SpookyBuz, Feb 28, 2005.

1. SpookyBuz

SpookyBuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh Lordy, the stress!

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Pioneer PDP-435FDE.

For me personally, the PQ was lacking on terrestial, freeview and DVD. I replaced cheap SCARTS with decent ones, bought a new Pio DVD player with progressive scan and component Monster cables, and I have to say the picture was no better.

Static pictures (set up screens, Teletext, film credits(!!!)) looked superb, but anything moving - especially skintones - were solarised and pixellated and almost ghosted. Darker images too, eg, sci-fi films in space, looked like they had a palette of 256 colours!

I phoned Mastercare (yes, I know, no laughing) who were quite understanding and said they thought it indeed sounded like a fault. A new replacement comes on Thursday so I'll let you know how the new one displays.

However: am I expecting too much? I've "upgraded" from a Philips Matchline 36" CRT with Pixel Plus. I know some may mock, but it was a superb TV. I understand and appreciate that Plasma panel technology is different, but the picture quality of the first Pioneer was not the earth-shattering experience I'd been promised, and my worries are that I'm expecting similar PQ from a bigger screen and I may have to be disappointed until HD DVD and HDTV comes more available/affordable.

You're assurances would be greatly appreciated. Cheers. :lease:

Andrew

2. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Sounds just like my LG purchase from RS....

Awaiting a phone call at the moment to tell me if they have replacement stock but I am starting to think the circuits in some of these TVs that decode the analog signals are complete and utter POS.

Everything you just said about the Pio I have been seeing on my LG.....go figure.

3. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And which LG is that ? PX11 ?

4. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If it makes you feel any better, my Samsung PS42D4S acts in a similar manner. My assumption was that cheaper or lesser plasmas do this as standard. I came from a Sony 36" CRT and am equally under-whelmed about the PQ (which in fairness varies enormously even when remaining on the same channel, let alone across channels - sky+). My panel is 256 colours I believe.

5. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    MZ42PZ45V...being fed by component from Yamaha RX750...with prog scan DVD (component) and Pace Sky+ (S-Video).

Strange thing is everything I view via the DVI socket seems sweet and crystal clear....and I have had the component board replaced....RS just rung also, they have a replacement screen that I can pickup tomorrow.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    there are ways and means of reducing the issues on most screens if you find out that it was not a fault but a "feature"

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's a feature, I'm afraid. Some just don't find this a problem, astonishingly. They do settle down a bit over time, but I've never been happy with any analogue input on a FDE/XDE Pioneer.

8. SpookyBuz

SpookyBuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW - thanks for the reply.

I could just about live with the quality of the analogue feeds, but can you honestly say the same from DVD? People spend thousands and put up with dire quality such as this? What were these people watching before? Frankly I'm astonished, and even more worried that the panel I'm having replaced isn't faulty at all!

hornydragon, can you enlighten me as to how to utilise these "features" :)

Cheers,
    Andrew

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well its not really a user thing but Pro calibration can help as can turning off all your picture enhancements!!!!! Pioneer want you to buy an 868i or 668i DVD player for these (filling up your only HDCP input) which do give good results but the HDMI socket is wasted on DVD......Component should be a lot better! unfortunatley this is the price you "pay" for a future proofed plasma!!!!

10. SpookyBuz

SpookyBuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers.

So basically I've spent a big wad of cash but to get a decent picture I need to spend a sh*t load more??? :rolleyes:

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The picture on HDMI is getting on for as good as it gets, well for the money it is. You can impove on it with the MXE model and at least a thousand quids worth of scaler, or a HCPC. Either of those setups will blow the XDE out of the water on analogue inputs.

12. miket

miket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gentlemen,
    I've been following a few threads here about PQ with scaling etc. Is it your general advice to spend a little less on the plasma and dvd player themselves but to buy a scaler to provide the analog video inputs with the money left over? in other words for a fixed budget what is better? Also do the benifits of a scaler really only become apparent on HD displays, or is there noticable improvement on 'ordinary' plasma's e.g. Viera ?

cheers ..... miket

13. SpookyBuz

SpookyBuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested in that, too. What a scaler actually does is foreign to me, so squse mi ignorance! :(

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    veira is a bad example as connecting a scaler to it is really hard (stupid front mounted VGA!!!!
    if you consider the Panny PWD7 panel the Pio MXE and the other similar units then a scaler can transform the performance...

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, even on a SD resolution plasma. Not many dealers carry such things, or demonstrate them, which is a shame. But you need to start with the right plasma to begin with, neither the XDE nor the viera are intended for the 'enthusiast' market, they are mass market devices with the development going it to making them easy for Joe Punter to set up and get a picture on. I reckon about 75% of these things are connected with composite on scart, mostly without setting the right aspect ratio too.

16. clouseau

clouseau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SpookyBuz...

Surely it can't be that bad....... I went from a Panny 36 CRT to an Panny Plasma and am more than happy, better pic from the plasma... it occurred to me to check though how close are you viewing from as mine gets poor within about 8 feet..

just a thought...

17. SpookyBuz

SpookyBuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm an enthusiast, but far more novice than I thought! Sadly, I go back to the title of the thread.

18. SpookyBuz

SpookyBuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    clouseau...

On certain channels and certain films, it's less bad, but without exaggerating watching footie or dark sci-fi DVDs is a joke.

I guess I'm sitting more or less 8ft away from the panel. Maybe if the replacement panel arrives, and it's no different, I'll have to think again.

19. clouseau

clouseau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fingers crossed for the replacement .... or lean back.

Hope it works out..

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm so sorry for your disappointment. Clouseau above has the panasonic and is not disappointed. I have one too, as do a majority of forum members. Wonder why? And why does it get such a strong recommendation? Cos it's currently about as good as it gets with SD sources. It may not be fully HD compatible, in fact that's a pain in the a*** but even on scart few people complain, and it's easy and cheap to do better than that. Sorry folks for boringly singing the praises of the forum favourite, it's a grand less than the XDE and looks better with almost any current source. The PHD version gets over almost entirely, the little gripes the occasional seriously picky person might have with the PWD. Still the same pain in the butt though! HD compatibility, Oh God, I'm so depressed.

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The King of Dark scene DVD's is the panny best dark detail and black level in the market, Pioneers best black is decidedly grey..............

22. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    For all the knocks that the Viera gets. I still feel there is no better plasma out there that handles analogue and DVB really well. I would say that anybody moving up form a CRT to a Plasma then this is the model to go for if you want to retain the most TV like features with the least headache.

23. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Bought my Viera on Sunday for £1600, absolute steal... Picture quality is very good, it really is so simple to set up and use. Asked MAW, Horney, Peezee, Joe etc.. etc... loads of questions, my conclusion is, buy cheap or wait. Decided to buy a living room 'TV' and wait till HD really kicks off in three or four years. Then I'll buy something worth the £3000 most manufactures are asking for now. £3000 in my opinon, is way too much for a tecnology that has yet to sort out some simple problems, I'll make do wiv me dodgy Viera for now. About to sell my house so I'm looking for a place with a large loft space for a conversion.

ADDITIONALLY, However, does anyone here know how to reduce the red levels Viera 37" ? Is there a hidden engineers menu? Also linked up my PC via front Mini-din 15, the red on this setting was overwhelming. Anyone got a scooby what to doo!

24. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I had exactly the same too red problem on my PW7 VGA input, you can go into the service menu and turn it down. Instructions were given to me through this forum if you want to do a search. Not sure if it will be the same for the Viera as for the PW7 though...?

25. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Sorry to say this, and this is not aimed at you SpookyBuz, but why do people buy these if they are not prepared to loose loads of money overnight if they don't like them.

We had dinner with some friends the other night, and there was a guy there raving on about his home cinema set up, I didn't mention that I was into this stuff as he was obviously really happy with his new system and screen he had just bought, and I would have felt a bit embarressed saying what I had after he told everyone his kit was as good as it gets.
    That was not until he said "unfortunately watching sky, and football in particular, on a big screen is not very good, and his Sony 32" made it look a bit of a joke". It was at this point I jumped in and asked which screen he had and it was the 435XDE. Long story short, they all came back to ours and I showed him the Panasonic.
    His words were "fudge! fudge! fudge! That is what I thought mine was going to look like." He addmitted that his screen looked a complete mess with TV, and after seeing mine said he felt absolutely gutted with his purchase.
    When I asked how many screens he demoed he said none, he had bought it as he had been told it was the best!

It is amazing when you read the US forums where compatabilty isn't really an issue and they buy the screens purely on pic quality, the Pioneers don't even get a look in.

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well veira is a pain to get right as it has 2 chassis and daft menu but try a search there are a few people who have tweaked them up a bit
    PS hadnt you decided on a 435XDE???

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    XDE's. My Pioneer rep 'fessed to me they were 'not their finest hour'. I can't help thinking of one of my daughter's favourite stories. The Emperor's New Clothes.

28. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    And my XDE gets delivered this week, great....

29. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hillster,
    I wouldnt worry too much about it mate, i am getting an incredible amount of enjoyment with mine. When it comes, drop the contrast down to 30,set colour to -6,brightness to +4 & colour temp to mid/low. Turn all DNR to OFF except for CTI,which should be set to ON. This should give you a perfectly respectable picture for footy. Now sit down/relax ,pour yourself a large one & wait for Hi-Def.

Regards,

Dan :)

30. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks DD I'll give those settings a go when it turns up. After everything that's been written here lately I was starting to doubt my decision as £2,700 is a lot of money. Roll on Wednesday when it arrives.