I think I have been scammed

So... as you say "it didn't look that scammy" Just how "scammy" does a site have to LOOK before you'll "part" with your hard earned cash (I presume you work for a living!!?)

What just was the "item" in question? Was it available "elsewhere" and what payment method did you "use" (if you bothered to educate yourself before hand Certain providers provide "back up" for situations like this..... however I guess that you "let your impulses" get the better of you without doing the required homework!!!!

ALL of us have a "duty" to be wary when we shop "online", especially during COVID 19, as more of us are shopping online & Staying at home and protecting the NHS!!!

Chalk this up as a "lesson" and next time, don't part with your money (or perhaps it's on credit card - which is always easier to spend than your "OWN"!!!???)

Woah their sonny. Any reason for such an aggressive reply?

I think it is Norwegian, I am norwegian but I got this website from a tiktok AD

I have not looked at the website, simply that best practice is not to go on shopping sites through adverts or emails

Did you click on a link to the site from Facebook? Just asking because i get loads of scam sites in my feed. FB obviously has mined my data well as they are often things i want.

The site the OP linked is blatantly a scam. As the old saying goes if it looks too good to be true....

So... as you say "it didn't look that scammy" Just how "scammy" does a site have to LOOK before you'll "part" with your hard earned cash (I presume you work for a living!!?)

What just was the "item" in question? Was it available "elsewhere" and what payment method did you "use" (if you bothered to educate yourself before hand Certain providers provide "back up" for situations like this..... however I guess that you "let your impulses" get the better of you without doing the required homework!!!!

ALL of us have a "duty" to be wary when we shop "online", especially during COVID 19, as more of us are shopping online & Staying at home and protecting the NHS!!!

Chalk this up as a "lesson" and next time, don't part with your money (or perhaps it's on credit card - which is always easier to spend than your "OWN"!!!???)
Is there something wrong with your keyboard?

I think I would have looked at this, maybe said 'ooo' but then decided against, on the basis of not seeing enough specs and no brand name at all (any, even an unrecognised one or a note about it being a DIY 3d printed thing would help), but also because I never hand over card details unless I'm absolutely sure where they are going.

That said, my card details did get nicked once due to a reputable site that turned out to have rubbish internal network security, i.e. nothing is ever guaranteed.

Although the transaction seems to be below a claim threshold, there's no reason not to register a complaint withe the bank anyway as that might still save others from the same thing.

Doesn't myshopify.com allow anyone to create a site to sell stuff on? It seems to take about 5 mins to create your own shop.

That shop seems to only have 2 products on it.. The projector and a dent puller

The projector on the image on the site is this:

There are crappy mini projectors on wish for around €10 euros. So it could well be a scam or you are sent a really rubbish projector.

And that shop page seems to have been lifted from here:

That's an "awful" lot of "speech" "marks" "!"

This website looks very scammy.

It's using a basic Shopify template and hasn't been modified from standard in any way (i.e. it's been knocked up in 10 mins).

They didn't even buy a domain name.

No company identity/logo.

The social links in the footer do not go anywhere (i.e. the 'company' doesn't have a social presence)

Some meta documents are written in English and the rest of the website is in Danish(?). The content on these pages is the standard stuff provided by Shopify, they haven't been modified for the specific company.

When checking out, you are sent to a different website (checkout-x.com) this is a massive red flag for me as they are taking you outside of Shopify Payments and using their own payment processor, nobody does this as the fees are much higher. I've looked into checkout-x.com and they do seem legit and have a Shopify integration, however, it's still very odd, if they want to avoid using Shopify Payments there will be a reason for it.

Shopify sends confirmation emails as standard, you can't turn this off. The fact you did not receive it tells us x-checkout.com is taking over, no order is actually recorded in Shopify.

They have basically taken your cash and you have no way to trace them.

A quick Google shows more 'fraud' companies using checkout-x: boluxr-dk.checkout-x.com is rated "Poor" with 2.0 / 5 on Trustpilot ... this looks Danish as well.

Basically, you're fudgeed. Cancel your debit card. Get a credit card.

If it's any comfort, even reputable companies can leave you with that disappointed feeling...

A long time ago I sent off to Duracell for a Desmond The Dinosaur but they had run out and their letter of apology said they understood I just wanted a toy so here's a walking squeaking kitten instead.

No! I wanted a Desmond The Dinosaur, that's why I sent off for one!
(edit: not to be confused with the book of the same name, this was to be a fun fluffy walking dinosaur toy)

Time may well heal all wounds, but some things are beyond the limits of even the most saintly levels of forgiveness :mad:

Last edited:
This website looks very scammy.

It's using a basic Shopify template and hasn't been modified from standard in any way (i.e. it's been knocked up in 10 mins).

They didn't even buy a domain name.

No company identity/logo.

The social links in the footer do not go anywhere (i.e. the 'company' doesn't have a social presence)

Some meta documents are written in English and the rest of the website is in Danish(?). The content on these pages is the standard stuff provided by Shopify, they haven't been modified for the specific company.

When checking out, you are sent to a different website (x-checkout.com) this is a massive red flag for me as they are taking you outside of Shopify Payments and using their own payment processor, nobody does this as the fees are much higher. I've looked into x-checkout.com and they do seem legit and have a Shopify integration, however, it's still very odd, if they want to avoid using Shopify Payments there will be a reason for it.

Shopify sends confirmation emails as standard, you can't turn this off. The fact you did not receive it tells us x-checkout.com is taking over, no order is actually recorded in Shopify.

They have basically taken your cash and you have no way to trace them.

A quick Google shows more 'fraud' companies using checkout-x: boluxr-dk.checkout-x.com is rated "Poor" with 2.0 / 5 on Trustpilot ... this looks Danish as well.

Basically, you're fudgeed. Cancel your debit card. Get a credit card.
Thanks, I was thinking the same when I was sent to a different website. Well, I have contacted my bank and if suspicious activity occurs, I have to freeze my card. This is so annoying, should have known better.

Thanks, I was thinking the same when I was sent to a different website. Well, I have contacted my bank and if suspicious activity occurs, I have to freeze my card. This is so annoying, should have known better.
Hopefully, we are wrong and it turns up. However, it doesn't look good.

As a web developer, I can spot this stuff a mile off. It's not obvious to everybody so just chalk it off as a learning experience.

For those that can't see the obvious signs, always only buy from a website that looks like a company, has a name, branding, domain name (that wasn't created within the last few weeks) and can be seen somewhere else on the internet.

Being taken off to another website isn't a massive red flag in itself. Many websites use hosted payment pages that sit with the processor.. but when you throw an unnamed company into the mix, it's a big nope.

Hopefully, we are wrong and it turns up. However, it doesn't look good.

As a web developer, I can spot this stuff a mile off. It's not obvious to everybody so just chalk it off as a learning experience.

For those that can't see the obvious signs, always only buy from a website that looks like a company, has a name, branding, domain name (that wasn't created within the last few weeks) and can be seen somewhere else on the internet.

Being taken off to another website isn't a massive red flag in itself. Many websites use hosted payment pages that sit with the processor.. but when you throw an unnamed company into the mix, it's a big nope.
Yeah, thank you very much! Think I've learned my lesson :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom