I think I have a problem (Nikon D7000)

• Thread starter Deleted member 27989
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27989

Got my Nikon D7000 2 weeks ago as an upgrade for my D70. Whilst the photos coming out nice an clean, there is something missing. At first run I thought it was my technique. Than at my daughters communion I blamed myself for playing with the setting and unfamiliar with the camera.

See this photo, whilst not the worst, it is not sharp enough and the focus is in the wrong place. My daughter is the tall blonde one.

DSC_0343 by JP de Jong, on Flickr

This morning I went out and did some test to a) make certain I used the right settings and b) tried to trigger what I though it wrong.

Can you see what is wrong?

_DSC0555 by JP de Jong, on Flickr

Been back to Jessops this afternoon and with thanks to Aperture on my MBA I could show them where my true focus point was and they acknowledged that it is not good. Unfortunately their resident 'Nikon expert' was not in today.

To proof where I focussed...

Attachments

• Aperture.jpg
    Aperture.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 207
Let's start with the obvious questions. Have you got the lens switched to M/A and not M. Also if you look in the cam menu is there an AF-C and AF-S setting in the autofocus menu. If so I have 3 settings on my D700.
1, Release (shutter released even when cam is not in focus)
2, Release+Focus (priority to shutter release but cam gives greater priority to focus than frame rate when in continuous release mode)
3, Focus (shutter can only be released when cam is focused)

Lens is set to AF indeed, it does focus and look ok on the built-in screen. Just becomes noticeable that it is sometimes before and sometimes after the focal point.

I've confirmed it does behave the same regardless of af-a, af-s, af-c. In af-c I could imagine it to happen with moving objects but mine are static and spot-focus.

Don't know about the three examples regarding settings. Would that be relevant when I ensure that on the view finder the auto focus is settled and the camera beeps before I apply the full press?

I will take a look later on those and experiment.

Try focusing using Live view (just as a test).

If that is spot on then you probably have a problem .. does the D7000 have focus adjust for different lenses?

Mike.P®;14641509 said:
Try focusing using Live view (just as a test).

If that is spot on then you probably have a problem .. does the D7000 have focus adjust for different lenses?

I'll try that later. And yes it can adjust for upto 12 lenses. But as I experience sometimes it is in front and other times behind I'm not keen adjusting it like that. I did download a focus chart but havent been around yet to check it.

What lens is it also?

I'm getting it on all.
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC
Nikon 55-200 f4-f5.6 VR
Nikon 18-70 f3.5-f5.6
Sigma 70-300D APO f4-f5.6

Also on the latest firmware I get a lockup on the AF after a while so downgraded back to version 1.01

Well, all was not so clear cut. I spend about 2.5 hours at Jessops in MK today. Nice staff and their knowledgeable chap was in who wanted to have a look. We shot many a combination and with a large slice of humble pie a bit part of this problem was mine :-( And more specifically my inability to hold 16MP still whilst making an exposure.

The way this guy shot with my lense made them all look sharp and focus correct bar one (i'll get to that). The only way my test shot attached in the OM can be explained is that I must have used AF-A mode with spot focus. Apparently that will switch between AF-S and AF-C automatically depending on the movement it detects. Considering my test shot was at 200mm handheld with VR it could be explained that I did make a small move which only shows at 100%. I'll take my tripod there next week and confirm.

Where it didn't work out even for him was my Tamron 17-50 f1.8 VC lens. Whilst there were many good results, there were also consistently bad results where the focus was in one occasion about 3 foot behind and in another about 2 inches. But clearly repeatable and even reproducable with other copies of that lens both on my body and on another D7000 body. Needless to say I got a full refund for that lens and they ordered me in an alternative to try out.

This afternoon I went out with my girls and got better results than ever using AF-S vs AF-C more effectively, but I am thinking it will take me a long time to tame those 16MP's compared to my old D70.

I can tell you high mp needs better technique.

Changing from a 350D to a 7D you really see ANY flaws at 100%.

Lens flaws, technique flaws etc.

1/focal length for shutter speeds is no longer correct IMO, especially on high pixel count crop sensors 1/2* focal length should be the starting point (depending on technique).

Yes you are absolutely right, I'm going for shutter speeds that I never needed before and get much better results.

Isn't there a known problem with the Tamron 17-50mm on D7000? Thought I'd read it somewhere.

Yes I have read one report where someone stated Tamron had to change something to make it compatible with the D7000.

I'm now thinking what lens to go instead, might try out the tokina 16-50 f2.8. I've seen stonking images on the D7000, but read bad reviews by the press. I just don't fancy spending the Nikon money for the lens but do want f2.8 or more.

Not sure I'm ready for that, I've been many a time in a situation where I can't step backwards nor forwards. Imagine a school play or a church. Low light, fixed seats, but no flash allowed.

As I am without I did mount my old 18-70 and it was pretty good out there. So perhaps I'll try the 35/1.8 it is very good value for money afterall...

First shot was indoors, no flash, shutter a bit slower than I should, focus problem aside I think it is pretty decent.

It is such a pain to choose, as the 35/1.8 isn't wide enough for indoors in most situations.

And yes in Aperture I do look/count how I shoot. So at 35mm:
About 1/3 less in 30-40 (tried to be fair there as I don't have a prime there) compared to at 50mm, or at 70mm.
About 1/2 less in 30-40 compared to 17-30.
About 1/2 less in 30-40 compared to 40-50.

But that doesn't mean one can't change their style. Any excuse I need :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can appreciate 50mm equivalent may not be wide enough as I find the same when shooting at that focal length myself but I still find it a useful lens and for the money think you probably would too.

John

I'm now thinking what lens to go instead, might try out the tokina 16-50 f2.8. I've seen stonking images on the D7000, but read bad reviews by the press. I just don't fancy spending the Nikon money for the lens but do want f2.8 or more.

The Tokina is a joint venture between Themselves and Pentax. The Pentax version has a different coating, silent motor, weather proofing and quickshift (and is quite a bit more expensive) but optically it's identical.

I have a copy and have to say its a superb lens.

If you look on dpreview.com forums, there seem to be quite a lot of D7000 users suffering with focusing problems.

I read one thread yesterday where a guy claims that the new firmware update solved his focus problems, but others say it made no difference.

Yes I've read a lot of 'issues' as well which is probably partially to blame for me thinking I had an issue with my camera. Once I the results a semi-pro got with my body and my lenses it was very clear the problem was me :-(

This camera is capable of stunning results, but you need to work a bit harder to get it and day by day it is getting better and better.

The key real problem I had was definitely my 17-50 Tamron lens which was focussing wrongly, but no such issues really with the other ones that I got as I was shown. I can't say whether it is the same for everyone, but I'm man enough to admit my problem was me.

I think most definitely so, and ofcourse I made the leap from a 6mp D70 to the 16mp D7000.

after the initial shock and not knowing whether it is equipment or ability it is all good :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom