I think I get it now!!! about the 360 HD-DVD Drive....

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Waynej, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,447
    Right, I was thinking last night when I was in bed about 360, as I usually do. This is what I was thinking, for all us early adoptors who get 360 at launch with the standard dvd drive, and ms is rumoured to introduce a hd-dvd drive, well I don't think we will need a replacement new 360! there just gonna send us the hd dvd drive for free hopefully!

Right now hear me out, the dvd drive that is in the 360 now, if u notice the whole dvd drive is altogether on one unit, if u get me(the eject button is on the drive where as usually its on another part of the casing)

Now this indicates to me, that when u take the front faceplate off, u should be able to physically grab the front of the DVD Drive, and it may just be a slot in mechanism, where u pull it out and push it in to connect.

Anyone, agree with me? :lesson:

2. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    I would agree with perhaps the possibility of swappable drive. However surely HD-DVD needs HDMI or equivalent as HDCP is a requirment of the spec

If this is the case, how would a new interface be added to the 360?

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    You need HDCP compatible connections if you want to use HD-DVD. Not present on current 360 versions, so not going to happen unfortunately.

4. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,447
    r u sure, although don't take my word for it, but I do remember reading a while back that ms said they would release the hdmi cable when needed, so it is not needed? at least until they introduce this drive?

5. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    No, its not possible. The 360 doesnt output pure digital that is needed for HDCP compliant HDMI or DVI. They will need to design a newer version of the console for that to be included.

HD-DVD may be included, but it wont be for movie playback. HD-DVD and BluRay requires HDMI or DVI to play movies. Period. HD-DVD for the 360, if its ever introduced, will only be used to increase the capacity of storage for gaming discs.

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,372
    I would have thought that there would be the ability to get a digital signal from the X-Box 360 (after all the info is in digital format before it is converted to analogue for analogue screens) and that it would just require a firmware update to give it HDCP compliance. All they need to do is release a new drive and lead.

What I think is more likely is that you will send your box off to MS and they will do the alteration for you (using the same service that they use if your box breaks).

I'm not sure if it will come for free but it may do as a thank you to early adopters buying at the launch price.

7. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    But you can carry HD signals over component as thats what the 360 is going to launch with. However IIRC the 360 won't have an HDMI socket at launch - unless i have missed it

I guess the issues are whether you class HD-DVD on the 360 as storage for games and pre-rendered game movies - then in theory you could possibly say that you don't need HDCP. However, if you plan to use the HD-DVD player to play movies of this standard then you would need a HDCP compliant interface (either DVI or HDMI)

8. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    The 360 currently outputs analogue, to output digital would require physical changes to the chipset, so its not a case of a firmware release.

9. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,447
    I doubt it being used for games though. which unfortunatly means that they could charge us for it, because we don't NEED it for games. So they could charge like £60 for the drive and i do remember them saying they would introduce a HDMI cable when they feel it is needed, well if this is the case a HDMI cable will be needed as the HD DVD movies would only play with a drive and cable that supports HDCP, I think thats right anyway?

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,372
    The 360 produces information in digital and it is then converted to analogue - all that needs to be done is to have a way of bypassing the D/A converter. If this is part of MS's long term plan then they will have made this possible in the box at outset. It wouldn't cost any more as no extra converters are required.

The A/V output could easily be made to carry a HDMI signal - a HDMI port isn't needed on the box itself.

11. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    There's no way that Microsoft are going to give away HD-DVD drives for free. Imagine the cost! how would they recoup it? you'd be looking at $100 min per unit for what is brand new technology. Why give something away that people would be prepared to pay for anyway. As for HD-DVD only outputting via HDMI/DVI I didn't think that this had been finalised. Especially as this would allienate all the early adopters, (i.e. people in the market for a hi-def disc format), who already own HDTV's without a digital connection but with component. Just look at the u-turn Sky has had to do with it's HD boxes. Toshiba could allow early boxes to have a component out, but remove it after the 1st generation. As for XBOX 360 having HDMI/DVI, I was under the impression that these leads would come at a later date. There's no reason I can see why the 360 won't be able to output a digital signal with HDCP.

12. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    The Digital to Analogue bypass would be more than just a firmware change wouldnt it?

True, but will it be able to carry the HDCP protection? That is the main pre-requisite for the HD-DVD movie playback.

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,372
    Firstly yes it would require more than a firmware change but as I stated, if MS are planning on this course of action then the bypass would have already been put in place at production stage.

HDCP protection is just a software protection system. That would be what the firmware change would add.

14. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    come on people stop stating your oppinion as fact.

MS have said the xbox can output digital video end of

15. steveyg20

steveyg20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done! You have just posted a statement which is the exact opposite with regards to what Microsoft have publicly stated. According to Microsoft, if HD-DVD is introduced at a later date, it will ONLY be used for movie play-back and no games at all with be released on the larger capacity HD discs.

16. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Well Microsoft said that if it was introduced it would only be for movie playback and not ever to be used for games. They need the game format to be consistent so that every owner can use it regardless of the version hardware they have.

If it is ever introduced it will not be an upgrade for current consoles, it will just be for newly purchased machines and will no doubt have the required HDMI socket in the newly designed model.

I don't understand why people are even worrying about it, it might not even happen and if it does it will be many months later. Many months of fine game playing.

17. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    IMO, I dont think its top of MS's priority list, when the Standalone HD-DVD players become readily available I think they will be very expensive £500 plus.
    This article is from joystiq.com.

Bill Gates seems to have hinted that the reason the Xbox 360 does not contain a HD-DVD or Blu=Ray drive is because Microsoft believes that the digital delivery of games (to hard disks) could become commonplace in the near future.

Prepare to see additional large capacity Hard Drives, which as we know are interchangeable therefore not short changing early adopters by including HD-DVD later on.
    As broadband speeds increase over the next couple of years I think we will see HD movies been downloaded from the t'internet. Anyone agree??

18. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,228
    Personally all talk of HD-DVD for the is like urinating into a strong breeze, not recommended. Ask yourself this, once you get your 360 are you going to bin your current dvd player? the answer to this 99.9 time out of 100 should be NO and only the .1 people should answer yes if they spent less than £40 on thier player. Same goes for HD-DVD, your going to get a dedicated player, end of story. A 360 is for games and dvd player is for movies. end of

19. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Maybe there will be a hdmi dongle on the back of the hd-dvd drive? I have no idea if that is even possible, just chucking in my 2p!

20. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141

Totaly. Telewest have promised 100meg cable by this time next year. Easily download a few gig on that in a short while.

Oh and as for the drive, well ... as we are early adopters (and we are in this thread) I can imagine in a year (?) we will of modded our original X360's anyway ..... And then gone out and got another un-modded one with a HD-DVD drive in it :D