1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I’m going to order the Sony KE-32TS2...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by funkin, Nov 7, 2003.

1. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick background...after watching Curry's Mastercare break my old 32CRT a few months back I've now got about 1200 pounds of vouchers to use in Curry's (unfortunately I've got no choice in the matter here) to go towards a replacement set. I've been reading the forums for a few months now and waited for the release of the Panasonic 6 series etc. etc. as we could probably just squeeze in a 37" set in our little terraced house.

I've got an AMP and 5.1 speaker setup that I’m chuffed with so don't want to get a TV with integrated speakers (especially speakers that are on the side of the TV).

A 42" plasma would be just too big and too close for comfort (at most we'll be sitting around 9 feet or so from the screen). I did like the look of the 37" series 5 but as that's now replaced with the TH37PA20 B model and we're forced to buy from Currys/Dixons, they'll only sell us a new model, and after asking at my local branch, they can't get the series 5 Panasonic. As for the new Panasonic 37" model, its physical dimensions (as its got speakers on the side) make it the same size as a straight 42" panel, which isn't really going to work in our house).

Over the past couple of weeks I've taken a bit of a fancy to the Sony KE-32TS2, the new edition of their 32" plasma. Even though it has integrated speakers, they're below the screen and not at the sides, which keeps the TV footprint down to a minimum. On top of that, for a TV with integrated speakers, it does look very cool. Initially I'll be feeding it an RGB Sky+ signal and a component feed from a Pioneer 656 DVD player.

Although there's very little mention of the set in these forums, I’ve read a few other reviews elsewhere, and the 42” version got a pretty good write-up in What Video Widescreen Entertainment (PDF available at whatvideotv.com), and I also saw a couple of other great views whilst browsing the magazine rack at Virgin Megastore. I also spent about 10 minutes yesterday in the Sony Galleria on Tottenham Court Road in London looking at the set from all angles, as well as right up close and further away and I walked away extremely pleased with what I saw, and I think its just the right size for our home. With our old set being a 32" CRT (with a visible size of around 30"), the extra 2" and the physical dimensions of this Sony appeal greatly.

The only thing that nearly concerned me was the fact that its got an internal fan, but we never watch TV quietly so I don't believe this will be a problematic issue.

Well, I’m not sure if there was a great deal of point to this post, but if anyone thinks I'm going to be wasting a couple of grand on this set then please speak now as I believe I'm ready to order...

2. bferbrache

bferbrache

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    You could consider selling your vouchers for say £1100 (on ebay or on this forum). This would give you loads more options and you could shop around. I bought a 5 series Panasonic 37" plasma and I have absolutely no regrets.

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I'm no expert, but I've seen quite a bit of that 32" Sony (have friends that have one) - it is a nice screen.

The only thing I'd suggest you think about is the size - for me, when going to a Plasma (and making that big jump in price) I wanted a large enough screen to give a "big screen" feeling. Even from 9 feet away, a 37 wouldn't be too big - even 42 is fine from 9 feet. Most people find their screens appear "smaller" over time - you may find youself wishing you had got a bigger screen.

Sounds like you have limited options, unless you sell the vouchers as suggested.

Mark

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    funkin

Just a thought... have you considered a 42/43 inch plasma (which Currys does sell from Pioneer or Panasonic) mounted on the wall..? Off course you know your house but at even 9 feet it should be OK if it is not right in front of you on a stand

5. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Funkin, I've got one of these Sonys. The reason it doesn't get mentioned much on these forums is that it's undoubtedly poor value for money - you're paying for the Sony name. I was aware of that but went ahead because I didn't have room for a bigger screen and I agree with you that it looks great! Please be reassured on performance - in my experience it does at least as well as the Panasonic and Pioneer models favoured here.

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    BB

I had so far through the years 6 Sony CRT TVs including 3 flat Wega sets. The 32" is still doing a great job in another room.
    Sony are fantastic on CRT and as you say you pay a lot of money for their name on plasma. However, they are just good on plasma and in my opinion their design and performance does not match the Pio and Pana.

7. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Another recommendation for the Sony ...

I've owned the 32TS2 for a few months now, which replaced a Sony CRT in the family lounge. As I've got a Panny 50 in the home cinema room, I'm fortunate to be able to compare one after the other directly and I can honestly say the Sony picture is every bit as good as the Panny.

The previous Sony model 32TS1 wasn't quite there on terms with Pannys and Panasonics, however there was a big contrast increase with the 32TS2 I believe.

Don't forget the Sony includes a vast array of built in connections (5 AV in total including 2 RGB scarts) which means you don't have to worry about buying connection cards.

The Sony is also the only plasma I know of with the integrated speakers located at the bottom rather than the sides. For a limited space situation this is big positive especially when replacing a traditional CRT.

Although not advisable to wall mount (due to thickness and sockets sticking out the back), the Sony will replace a CRT in a corner situation and still give more space in the room as you can push it much further back (i.e. no big CRT casing!) Not forgetting it looks far more special than a CRT!

In terms of build quality, I know Sony have gone downhill in the CRT side of things, however the 32TS2 simply shines quality!

The only other 32 that I've seen to equal the Sony is the Hitachi 32PD3000, however with this you're back to side speakers, and IMHO, a lesser build quality.

8. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well said Mark, I've had exactly the same experience.

9. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it's been three weeks since my original post and here's a quick update. My wife and I went down to Curry's to have a look at the Sony 32". She ignored it completely and went over to the 42" TV's! I think we can just about squeeze one into the living room, and as I'm going to be spending a few grand on a plasma I may as well do it properly!

I have since spent the last three weeks trying to get a price for a Panasonic 6 series 42" plasma from Curry's. Originally they said "we can order any plasma even if its not on our main stocklist" and after many phone calls they came back with "we cannot order plasmas that are not on our main stocklist. any other type (crt) is yes, but plasma we cannot."

So...what now. Well, tomorrow after work I plan to head over to the local branch to look at the Pioneer 434 which they have on display, and is one of their stocked products. My only concern was that it comes with speakers but I see I don't need to attach these if i don't want them. I am tempted in a way to use them just as a center speaker if that's possible?

Well, it's been quite a turnaround in the last few weeks and I think my mission is almost complete. No doubt I'll report back with an update soon.

10. hOwLa

hOwLa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please be aware of the wait time it takes Currys to deliver such items. I was promised the Sony 32" within 7 working days and they have missed that deadline and the courier said that it takes 7-10 days to process the order with a further 2-3 weeks for delivery! I'm doing a exchange for a 32" LCD so I still have there orginal TV so its not as if I without a TV, however the sales manager said that he needs it back this week but I know that is no gonna happen until they ship the goods to my door :devil:

11. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    funkin

I would also advise against Currys.... Furthermore, if you buy elsewhere you will not need to buy the speakers that you do not want....

12. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've now had a look at the Pioneer in the flesh and like what I see. Unfortunately I don't have a great deal of choice other than to go to Curry's (as I’ve got 1200 pounds worth of vouchers, and incidentally another 110 pounds worth of Mastercare vouchers).

Looking briefly at pricing, on av-sales it would cost me £4165 delivered including the desk stand. I've not really looked elsewhere as without me going to a load of hassle trying to sell my vouchers, Curry's is the easy option.

If I go to Curry's and take advantage of the vouchers I have, by handing them around £4,300 I get the Plasma, the desk stand, a 5 year Mastercare warranty (I know see Mastercare as a rip-off but over the past few years I've done extremely well out of their complete incompetence!), and they'll also throw in for a free £290 Dyson vacuum cleaner that I've been tempted by for the past few weeks.

On top of that, I can get all this on interest free until Jan 2005 which has got to be another bonus.

I'm not worried about waiting times as we've been watching a 21" set for the past few months and I've completely forgotten what my old 32" widescreen used to be like. If it comes before Christmas then great.

I will enquire about getting the set without the speakers but I am partly tempted by them, especially as they can be mounted beneath the set and not at the sides.

13. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Oh I see... I guess under your circumstances just keep pushing to get the best service you can out of them. The 434 is a great screen...got mine on Nov the 1st and I love the picture! I also have the speakers since I do not want to use the AV amp for just every piece of viewing.. Originally, I was going to put them under the screen but the in my environment I changed me mind... You can see a photo of my set up on the other thread with everybody's plasmas photos.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If they'll itemise the warranty on the invoice, you could then cancel it within the cooling off period, and get c. 900 quid back!

15. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great picture. I must have missed that on my regular look through that thread. Thanks also for the positive words on the choice of set.

Very good point too. If I do the deal this weekend (most likely) I'll see how it ends up on the receipt and then maybe go back and have a closer read of the warranty thread.