Question I think Curry's sent me an A8 that was previously returned...

Flynner

Standard Member
I had a 55' A8 delivered by Currys yesterday and I'm fairly confident it was returned by someone previously / possibly a display model.

I noticed the packaging was a bit shabby straight away. The plastic cover was very loosely covering the TV and ripped on one side. Some of the unboxing clips on youtube also show a cardboard sheet covering the screen which I didn't get. One of the styrofoam inserts was broken, two of the 'plugs' attaching the box to the styrofoam at the bottom were missing and the edges of both stickers on the screen were peeling a bit. The the box itself was clearly ripped and taped together at the bottom.

I haven't had a chance to really test it yet but I haven't seen any initial issues with the TV. I'm naturally a bit cautious now though, particularly with OLED.

I'm going to call Currys tomorrow and ask whether it's a return. Is there any way of seeing how many hours the TV has been in use?

Generally speaking, what would you do in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

derek1999

I'd take photos (as evidence) and simply tell them they've sent you a 'used/and or returned' item and you're not satisfied.

You're within your rights to ask for a refund or exchange (as you purchased a 'new' item and have not been sent one) - but you've also the distance selling easy return rules on your side.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother turning it on or unboxing any further.... there'll be a reason it was returned.

Not very good that returns make their way back into 'new' stock for purchasing though... guess that's Currys for you.

rpr

Does sound a bit dodgy

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
I had a 55' A8 delivered by Currys yesterday and I'm fairly confident it was returned by someone previously / possibly a display model.

I noticed the packaging was a bit shabby straight away. The plastic cover was very loosely covering the TV and ripped on one side. Some of the unboxing clips on youtube also show a cardboard sheet covering the screen which I didn't get. One of the styrofoam inserts was broken, two of the 'plugs' attaching the box to the styrofoam at the bottom were missing and the edges of both stickers on the screen were peeling a bit. The the box itself was clearly ripped and taped together at the bottom.

I haven't had a chance to really test it yet but I haven't seen any initial issues with the TV. I'm naturally a bit cautious now though, particularly with OLED.

I'm going to call Currys tomorrow and ask whether it's a return. Is there any way of seeing how many hours the TV has been in use?

Generally speaking, what would you do in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

That doesn't sound like a new television to me. No way the packaging should be damaged like that. Did you take pictures of how it was when it arrived? I was once told accessing the television usage menus might invalidate the warranty but I've no idea how or why and have done it on previous Sony televisions. If you want to do it then this link should help. I accessed the menu on a refurb I got from Sony a few years back and it showed that it had over 700 hours usage but was an immaculate set. I think it might be possible to reset this though so potentially even if it has been used before the memory may have been wiped, but I'm not 100% whether that is possible. Sony Usage Hours Tracking

You have you consumer rights to return even if the box was perfect, so I would have no issues in requesting a return based on the damaged box alone as it might mean damage to the set has occured.

derek1999

Another way to tell if it's a used one is to examine the remote control... did it come in a plastic sleeve that was properly taped down (normally yellow tape)?

Also, did the batteries come sealed (so you opened and inserted into the remote) or did they come loose... or already inside the remote?

Just other things to look for :)

Flynner

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies folks.

I do have photos thankfully, I suspected something was amiss straight away.

Unusually, some of the packaging was fine, eg. the manual and batteries were in a sealed bag.

silent ninja

Dodgy.

I had the cardboard in front of the screen. Everything was tightly packaged. It's a very expensive gadget so I'd err on the side of caution: get them to replace at their cost. You entitled to have the brand new experience.

Flynner

Standard Member
No, I'll check it during the week. The guy on the phone couldn't give me any details at all regarding the unit - he said they all just come boxed from the UK (I'm in Ireland).

My only worry now is that the replacement panel is worse that this one, which looks great to me!

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
No, I'll check it during the week. The guy on the phone couldn't give me any details at all regarding the unit - he said they all just come boxed from the UK (I'm in Ireland).

My only worry now is that the replacement panel is worse that this one, which looks great to me!

If you're happy with the picture quality and condition of the television are you sure you want to return it? It might be that some incompetent courier has damaged the box but somehow the television was unscathed. I'd check usage and if that's good and you are happy with it keep it.

Flynner

Standard Member
It had been used for about 5 hours previously I reckon.

I stalled the collection to give me a bit more time to play around with it and decide whether or not I want to keep it.

I've noticed serious issues in displaying near black scenes (on Netflix / Youtube so far - I'll have to check other sources) so I think I probably will try another set.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
It had been used for about 5 hours previously I reckon.

I stalled the collection to give me a bit more time to play around with it and decide whether or not I want to keep it.

I've noticed serious issues in displaying near black scenes (on Netflix / Youtube so far - I'll have to check other sources) so I think I probably will try another set.

Sounds like it was a return. Really bad that Curry's would do this, got to hope it was a mistake.

fluxedman

That issue could be across the board, netflix and prime tv shows like stranger things and even black box on the LG OLED CX have floating/flashing blacks during certain scenes.

more info on where in the scenes and eps here:

It maybe better on the sony oled but its a common issue on LG oleds and Sony uses LG oled panels.

I think you are right to stall it, its never nice to get something used or returned and there is always that why did the other customer return it left in your head.

Its still sometimes a panel lottery, so ideally you want to do a dead pixel check like here:

and check for uniformity and banding issues via some 5% grey test off youtube like here:

this guy discusses what to look out for and also has test in his video:

As with anything maybe a good idea to installed latest firmware and give it a good 50-200hrs usage before running all those checks also good to do banding checks in dark rooms, you could still do them before and after 200hrs.

Still you got consumer law you can return the goods if you are no satisfied before the dead line best to check currys website for date.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom