Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

I think artifacts FINALLY dissapeared from my Loewe Aconda...

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by zsaddique, May 22, 2002.

1. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I won't try and sound like a professional because I'm not. In fact, a month ago I had never heard of terms like "line doubling" and "progressive scan"! :eek:

Anyway... being a bored college student I decided to spend a couple of days researching progressive scan and how this is implemented in my Loewe Aconda (2500 chassis)...

Now, I don't really want to go into much detail, because I'm still confused with all these bits and bytes running around in my head, but I think you guys might want to hear my results.

Basically, I've managed to display a NTSC DVD (thru AV2 scart socket in RGB) in what seems to be an "artefact-free" image that is NOT flickering (i.e. not 50hz mode).

What I've done is switched Bit 3 of Byte 5 OFF to disable the NTSC progressive scan (which IMHO is a load of crap due to the horrible processing it does to the picture). Then I watch the DVD with DMM ON. So, you still get a flicker-free image, but WITHOUT the digital artefacts. :D

Perhaps tomorrow, my brain will have stopped spinning so fast and I can work out exactly what I've been doing, but right now here's what I do know.... switching Bit 3 of Byte 5 to 0 turns the NTSC progressive scan off. And also, Bit 2 of Byte 5 controls PAL progressive scan if you have chassis 2400 or higher, but I have yet to get rid of digital artefacts on a PAL DVD picture without the 50hz flicker.

I think I'll take a break now. ;)

Zahid Saddique

P.S. After hours of searching on the web, another thing I've learnt is that the European models are very different from the US models, which have all that 3:2 pulldown and other stuff we don't.