I take it now's not a good time to buy an LCD TV then?

zAndy1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
With new models imminent from Toshiba, Samsung and Sony I take it now is not a good time to buy? I'm after a 40 or 42" 1080p capable LCD for use with SkyHD, a 360 Elite and possibly a PS3. Are there any sets currently available that do 1080p and don't have any issues or is it really going to be a case of waiting a month or two and seeing what the new models can do?

The models after those models will be even better. Even better, wait 100 years and they'll be even better.:)
No point waiting, not unless the next gen models offer something (ie 720 to 1080 jump)

Oh if you do want to spend money, I'd look at improving your sound system.

The models after those models will be even better. Even better, wait 100 years and they'll be even better.:)

By that time there might even be an LCD TV that comes close to the quality of today's CRT TVs. :D

tbh the new models have all been announced, the only delay is in the stock getting to suppliers. Most of them are a few weeks / to a month. Not that long to wait

1080p Tellys - quick rundown

Samsung M87/M86 (out now)
Samsung F86 (as above but with 100hz) Due Out Sept
Sony X3500 Due Out Sept
Sony X3000 Due Oct
Sony W3000 Due Sept / Oct
Toshiba X3030 (out now)
Toshiba Z3030 (out Oct)

plus i belive Sharp / Phillips '07 range is due out September as well.

yes there are allways better tellys on the horizon. but no point buying a TV one more before it becomes obsolete.

It all depends on your budget as the newer LED backlit models will cost twice as much. So if you want to wait and have the cash, wait. If your budget is more towards that of the current priced LCDs, which are awesome anyway, then buy one, I recommend Sony D3000 or Samsung R8/M8.

It all depends on your budget as the newer LED backlit models will cost twice as much. So if you want to wait and have the cash, wait. If your budget is more towards that of the current priced LCDs, which are awesome anyway, then buy one, I recommend Sony D3000 or Samsung R8/M8.

only confirmed backlit model is the samsung F96 and only comes in 52" and above sizes

theres a whole raft of new models due out sept / october that arent LED backlight (see my list above)

August bank holiday onwards is traditionally a time for manufacturers to start to clear out their old models ready for the new introductions September/October.

Can be a nice time to grab a bargin on a model 6-10 months old, or hold on a while and get a brand new shiny model in another month or 2.

The choice is yours !

tbh the new models have all been announced, the only delay is in the stock getting to suppliers. Most of them are a few weeks / to a month. Not that long to wait

1080p Tellys - quick rundown

Samsung M87/M86 (out now)
Samsung F86 (as above but with 100hz) Due Out Sept
Sony X3500 Due Out Sept
Sony X3000 Due Oct
Sony W3000 Due Sept / Oct
Toshiba X3030 (out now)
Toshiba Z3030 (out Oct)

plus i belive Sharp / Phillips '07 range is due out September as well.

yes there are allways better tellys on the horizon. but no point buying a TV one more before it becomes obsolete.

Hey, first post here. I'd love a LCD to replace my CRT but the specs leave me a bit clueless.

I've saved up about £400 and I was considering getting the Aldi £349.99 offer. However, I know I'd want something bigger right after buying this and I'm all for a bit of deferred gratification.

I'd love the 40" or 46" Samsung M86. But after reading the above thread, I realise that, by the time I save up enough, the F86 may be in my price range. I see it is now available in 46" for £1492 at 1staudiovisual whilst the M86 is available for £1,186.

Do any of you know how quickly these tend to drop in price after release. I see that the LE46N73 came out 11 months ago at £2000 and is now available for £1000. Would it be reasonable to assume that the LE46F86 will be available in the next 6-8 months for around the £850-£900 mark???

Also, is the only difference in the M86 and F86 the 100hz and what exactly does this mean? My main criteria if spending my money on a 46" screen is that the technology is as future proof as possible - I'd want to keep the TV for close to 5 years. Therefore, I wouldn't want to buy an M86 if 100hz is going to be some new standard that would mean me having to upgrade in the near future.

Looking at that Aldi offer it doesn't have an HDMI socket according to specs so I wouldn't touch it really.
You can already get stonking TV's for under £600 Panasonic LXD or Samsung R87/88 are not much over £500 in 32"
I was thinking big is best but settled on a 32" and with my viewing distance of 7ft it is just right any bigger would be too much so unless you will be sitting more than say 8ft away 40-46 would probably be too big

My 2 cents worth.....:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom