Question I Still Can't Get Atmos

qwales

Established Member
Reaction score
I've owned a full 7.2.4 Atmos setup using a Denon AVR-X6300H since January but I have only once, yesterday, briefly seen the word Atmos appear on my AVR screen. That was after plugging in my new NVidia Shield and running an Atmos Film from Netflix. I have an LG OLED TV but Atmos does not pass though ARC to the amp and I have a Win 10 HTPC with a certified HDMI lead coming from my MSI 1030 GPU, but of course Windows Atmos for Home Theater doesn't install and bitstreaming Atmos doesn't work from this setup yet as far as I'm aware. So, I did some more research and decided on the Shield to deliver Atmos but I still can't get it. I'm guessing I have an incorrect setting somewhere on the AVR or the Shield. When I ran the Atmos film from Netflix last night it did show Atmos for a second and then quickly switched to Dolby DDS (I think it was), closest I've gotten in the 7 months I've had this setup :(

Atmos won't transmit through ARC.

Hmm. Does seem odd. I use a Windows 10 HTPC with a GTX 1050 graphics card and I get Atmos okay from Plex, Kodi, media player classic and the Windows 10 Netflix app.

When the audio is playing, if you press the movie button on the Denon remote what do you get on the TV screen?

Hmm. Does seem odd. I use a Windows 10 HTPC with a GTX 1050 graphics card and I get Atmos okay from Plex, Kodi, media player classic and the Windows 10 Netflix app.

When the audio is playing, if you press the movie button on the Denon remote what do you get on the TV screen?

Not sure from the HTPC, I'll check but I did get the Atmos option when I pressed that button last night when playing a Netflix film from the Shield. I selected it and it briefly showed Atmos on the amp before changing.

Last edited:
I selected it and it briefly showed Atmos on the amp before changing.
It shouldn't change. When you press that button you get a list of options of how you want to process the sound. If Atmos is there as an option and you select it, that should be it. If the audio stream remains constant it should just stick.

It is possible that you have a faulty AVR?

I hope not. It was making some really good noises when I tested the Shield last night, there was some great sound separation but I wasn't watching the right stuff for overhead.

Just to be pedantic, you can actually convey Atmos via ARC if using an LG TV. LG have enabled many of their 4K UHD TVs to be able to convey Dolby Digital Plus including Atmos metadata via ARC and this is what Netflix package Atmos metadata with in association with the content they stream that has an Atmos soundtrack. It should also be noted that only LG TVs and XBox's currently have the ability to access Atmos in association with Netflix.

It does - I get atmos from my LG TV to my Yamaha AVR. via HDMI ARC.

What will not pass through regular ARC is HD audio - you need eARC at both ends for that.

what lg oled does the op have,as only the 7 & 8 models support atmos.

It.s a 65E7V
great,so if you use the netflix app on the e7 do you see the atmos logo beside the title? arc carries dd+atmos.

what lg oled does the op have,as only the 7 & 8 models support atmos.

Really? My LG 49SJ800V seems to be able to convey Atmos via ARC without issue. What do you mean by "support Atmos"? No TV supports Atmos and the LG TVs simply facilitate streaming DD+ with the inclusion of Atmos metadta via ARC.

Really? My LG 49SJ800V seems to be able to convey Atmos via ARC without issue. What do you mean by "support Atmos"? No TV supports Atmos and the LG TVs simply facilitate streaming DD+ with the inclusion of Atmos metadta via ARC.
i have a b6 oled it does not do dd+ atmos over arc,Dolby Atmos on Netflix check compatible devices.

great,so if you use the netflix app on the e7 do you see the atmos logo beside the title? arc carries dd+atmos.

Yes, he will see Atmos listed as the audio in association with Netflix content that includes it if accessing that content via the TV's Netflix app. This is of cause as long as he is a Premium Netflix subscriber.

I just discovered that a may be getting Atmos from the Shield. There seems to be 2 lines. This is what I see on tv If I select Atmos the amp looks like this for a sec and then it goes to this

Attachments

• AA463F2B-BE7B-40FF-B7FF-E087204E60C6.jpeg
    AA463F2B-BE7B-40FF-B7FF-E087204E60C6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 385
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    937.6 KB · Views: 338
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 347
i have a b6 oled it does not do dd+ atmos over arc,Dolby Atmos on Netflix check compatible devices.

I'm under the impression that all of LG's TVs from 2017 onward support accessing Atmos via Netflix and can bitstream DD+ including Atmos metadata via ARC. Also note that your AV receiver also requires the ability to handle DD+ via ARC. Some earlier Atmos enabled AV receivers lack this ability.

I'm under the impression that all of LG's TVs from 2017 onward support accessing Atmos via Netflix and can bitstream DD+ including Atmos metadata via ARC. Also note that your AV receiver also requires the ability to handle DD+ via ARC. Some earlier Atmos enabled AV receivers lack this ability.
so your tv is 2017/18

Yay!! I just got it from the TV, no idea what's changed as I already watched the punisher and never saw Atmos but I do now. Any idea why Netflix on the Shield says Ultra HD 4K 5.1 but on the TV it says VISION ATMOS?

Yay!! I just got it from the TV, no idea what's changed as I already watched the punisher and never saw Atmos but I do now. Any idea why Netflix on the Shield says Ultra HD 4K 5.1 but on the TV it says VISION ATMOS?

The Shield isn't a device Netflix have developed an app for that is able to access Atmos soundtracks. Only LG TVs, the XBox and Windows 10 devices can access Atmos via Netflix.

Dolby Atmos on Netflix

The Shield isn't a device Netflix have developed an app for that is able to access Atmos soundtracks. Only LG TVs, the XBox and Windows 10 devices can access Atmos via Netflix.

Dolby Atmos on Netflix

That's weird as the only reason I got the shield was because of all the reviews from people saying Atmos was working from pretty much everything. I didn't get the Xbox because apparently on the blue ray disks do Atmos, the rest is "upscaled garbage"

Also weird that I get that odd Atmos display on the amp when using the Shield

Tried some big MKV's using PowerDvD and VLC, have tried other apps but no joy. Is there a specific product that will work with these or like some people have said, there is nothing yet available?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom