i star hd player query

ceemo

Standard Member
a friend of mine has recently purchased a i star hd player and says he firstly had an issue with setting up the hard drive to be recognised on his pc and when he did get it working a 4gb file took 4 hours to transfer (wired connection). He then connected the hard drive to his pc via a sata cable and transfered some films accros but the hard drive had to be formatted to linux so he was then unable to see the films on the hard drive from his pc. he now has to plug in via the sata whenever he wants to transfer the data.

do all other users have this problem is there a work around?

also is there any better unit for the money or similar monies?

chris57

Novice Member
The Istar is a NMT device. There are others but all run Linux. there is a workaround which you can find if you google 'fast copy PCH MPC' and follow the first link you will get there, cant link anymore had a warning.

There are no better units for the money than the NMT devices :- Popcornhour, Istar, HDX900. The latter has USB slave so you will be able to just copy via USB with that model. No DTS with it so you will need an AV amp or convert to AC3 audio.

There is a thread on the HDX900 on this forum.

edit
The speeds you quoted are not normal for any NMT device, speed is about 4mb/s giving about 17mins for 4GB

robtek70

Novice Member
If you just want to use the drive to play media from then simply format it as NTFS (needed for files over 4gb) on you PC, transfer your files to it then plug it into the external sata connection on the Istar.

You only need to format a sata drive in linux format if you want to use the SayaTV/BitTorrent funtions.

Kendo76

Novice Member
Chris, it's the Egreat NMT player that has USB slave (ugly thing that it is! :)). If it's any use to you, the istar is bringing out a DTS card add on to the player to decode DTS into stereo bypassing the need for an AV receiver for those who just want to watch movies on a telly and not separate speakers.

Regarding the OP's post, you should be able to ftp a 4gig file to the istar in 15 or 20 minutes at 3 or 4 megs per second. Not great but better than your friend has managed.

Parisno

Standard Member
The Istar is a NMT device. There are others but all run Linux. there is a workaround which you can find if you google 'fast copy PCH MPC' and follow the first link you will get there, cant link anymore had a warning.
The first link on google is to this post, and the others are of no use, can anybody help me out here?:lease:

Logrus

Novice Member
The first link on google is to this post, and the others are of no use, can anybody help me out here?:lease:
go to mpcclub, find the forums

Not sure if some forums are restricted for non members, but i am a member so i cannot tell.

find Super Tips and Info

Find the thread called Copy performance on PCH A-100!

Then follow your nose to a PDF with the info.

Hope this helps without breaking any rulez :D

PS this is the same article Chris57 was talking about i think

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom