1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I spoke to soon - my PW7 is buzzing

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zedzed, Oct 20, 2004.

1. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, I've had my PW7 for just under a week and it's started to buzz. Loud enough to be heard across the room when there's a low volume part in a tv program. Don't know why it's started (I've had all my settings turned down) - but it definitely gets worse if the panel is turned into dynamic mode (yuk!) or if I turn off "peak limit".

Bizarrely it continues to buzz (at a slightly lower volume) when the panel is turned off (and by turned off I mean turned off at the panel switch - not even in stand-by!)

Anyone else had this program with PW6's or 7s? Could it be any sort of "run in" issue ... or am I gonna have to call AV-sales tomorrow :(

ZedZed

2. novaya_zemla

novaya_zemla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PW6 buzzed and I sent it back - This was followed by two weeks of serious stress as the after sales service wasn't up to the pre-sales. I ended up driving 100 miles to get my screen back (because the shop had 'lost' it). When I saw the state of my old screen, dented, scratched, bashed etc - I demanded a new one and got it - when I got it home and plugged it in, guess what? It was exactly the same....... They buzz mate, what can I say. :suicide:

3. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm quite prepared to accept that they buzz a little (if you're standing next to it you can hear it, for example) ... but if I can hear it from the other side of the room I think something's wrong! Clearly defeats the purpose of paying 2K for a TV to get a better AV experience, only to have it ruined by a buzzing noise.

Who did you buy yours from? I got mine fro AV-sales (who are supopsed to be good at dealing with this sorta thing) - I think I'll be calling them tomorrow :(

ZedZed

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    All TV's BUZZ, Plasma CRT even LCD a bit!!!!!!!
    some people here it more than other... I have to put my ear to the screen to hear it on most. However some porrly made screen 35" JVC Buzz like MAD all the time......... Did you demo a PW7 before you bought?

5. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Didn't demo a PW7 as there we're any to see - but I saw a PW6 in an AV shop (which, like you say, i had to put my ear to the back of it to hear any buzz).

This buzz is loud enough to be heard from 9 feet away - and is certainly louder than I would deem acceptable. Ho hum!

6. novaya_zemla

novaya_zemla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV-Sales has a good name here. I'm sure you'll be fine..... (but best of luck anyway!)

7. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    So Panasonics aren't whiter than white regarding Buzzing!!

I've had 3 Pio 434s that have buzzed. I know how you feel mate, it annoys the hell out of me.

8. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The buzzing has died down this morning - although is still louder than it was for the first 5 days of operation (can be heard from a few feet away, whereas before I had to put my ear to the back panel). I'm going to call av-sales and see what they say.

ZedZed

9. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Called Av-sales, helpful as ever :)

Going to wait a few days and see if the loud buzz returns - it might be due to the run in period (plasma working harder during the first 200 hours etc.). Have been re-assured though that if it's a faulty transformer then it'll get fixed :)

ZedZed

10. Allan238

Allan238
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This buzzing is really beginning to worry me. I too am waiting to get a new Plasma, probably the Pioneer PDP-435XDE.
    As explained in other posts, I am housebound and unable to view any prospective purchase, therefore I have to rely on this forum to guide me in my final descision.
    However, surely this buzzing depends on the individual.
    I notice now that my computer is noisy, if I cross the room it is loud enough for me to still hear it, and it's damn annoying. In a few minutes I shall forget about it and then I won't even notice it. Something like living near a railway line and not being bothered by the trains.
    I am interested in peoples horror stories so keep them coming but I will still end up with a Plasma, it's the nature of the beast.
    Anyway I'm a sucker for all this new technology, even though I can't really afford it. I just want to feel smug for a change!

11. stephinson

stephinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just bought the pwd6 last week
    If I put my ear an inch from the glass I can`t hear any buzzing
    But if I lean over the top of the plasma there is only a slight buzzing
    Hope this helps

12. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Most if not all plasmas buzz. on a brighter picture it'll buzz more than with a dark picture.

13. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Agreed. What's frustrating is that they seem to vary. Some people with the same model have different buzz levels - and I'm sure it's not just down to how sensitive you are to buzz. The difference between "I can only hear it if I put my hear to the panel" and "I can hear it from my sitting position" cannot just be attributed to the sensitivity of the listeners ear. (well, I don't think so).

These are expensive items - and I know they cost a reasonable amount to make - but it seems strange that they can't achieve consistency with the transformers (I'm no electrical expert though).

What we really need is some sort of listening device that could be attached to the back of the panel (so as to avoid other background noise) and give some sort of "acceptable" / "not acceptable" reading. This would remove any argument about listeners ear sensitivity etc.

ZedZed

14. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hear Hear (excuse the pun).

The Quality Control of these manufactures leaves a lot to be desired. Either that or the guys/gals on the production line need to stop listening to their personal stereos and more to the extranoeus noises being produced by their products.

15. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    agreed my PW6 buzzes and sometime it annoys me other times it doesn't,
    I haven't even bothered contacting panasonic because I already know their response.

It's no that loud but it annoys me more then it annoys other people.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Buzzing plasmas, I've heard a few, and having heard more plasmas than most, I can assure any paranoids that it's not hypersensitive ears, they really do vary, and big buzzers are a fact, from all manufacturers, though I've never heard an NEC srtangely. Hitachi are the worst,loudest and most frequent. HDE Pioneers next, followed closely by the good old panasonic. I discount LG and samsung and derivatives, they all make some noise, the question is how much. There's a good few threads on the Hitachi problems, their customer service is notably worse than the others too.

17. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I cant say i can hear any buzz from my PW6, only noise is from the Sky and Jamo DVD and thats not excepsionally loud either now.
    Quattro

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Exactly, mate. A poll would show that most people's panel noise is well within acceptable limits. I have one here now, 5 ft from me, it's silent to all but a bat. But there are loud ones, I think JJ sent his back once, but they said it was within tolerance. I have known 2 or 3 PW's that have been replaced for buzzing.

19. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    exactly the same with my PWD6 from av-sales
    I was worried before buying as I am very sensitive to buzz/hum
    But now I have it, it's really quiet.

20. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If my buzz returns is still there tonight (it gets louder the longer the panel is on) then I'll be sending it back for a new one - or new transformer anyway. What's disturbing on this issue is that there's no exact definition of what's acceptable and what isn't. Neither consumer or retailer want to go through the situation of sending panels back and forward with disagreement on buzz levels (only the people in the delivery side of things benefit from that!).

If a dealer feels like it can they can just say "I think it's acceptable" and return it to you? Or does it go back to Pana UK for their judgement?

ZedZed

21. Pill Fairy

Pill Fairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PWD6 is 3 weeks old, never thought about buzz. But after reading this thread I've just stuck my head behind it - completely silent.

22. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Buzzing is so annoying, and unnacceptable in my opinion if it is audible during regular viewing at a normal distance for the size of screen. It's the reason I returned my Panasonic 5 series (Toshiba clone actually) and exchanged it for an NEC, which is near silent by comparison. At normal viewing distance even with bright images it is not noticeable, and even a foot away is almost imperceptible.

One tip I did hear of (but haven't needed) is too put a soft, i.e sound absorbing cloth/layer on the wall behind the nosiest area where the power suppply resides to reduce reflected sound from the wall behind. This assumes yours is wall mounted of course!

Good luck

Oh yeah and remember it will always seen nosier at home in the naturally quieter environment when compared with the store/dealer etc....went thru' that one, and the dealer was very fare about it.

23. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's not wall mounted - and it's a foot away from the wall - but I'll bear it in mind - might be worth trying to sound proof it a little if I can (although I think putting something over the ventilation slots might not be a good idea!).

ZedZed

24. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    zedzed,

Sorry to here about your disappointment and I can really empathise with you...

Have a look at my experiences with a buzzing PWD6 and AV-Sales (especially my final post) here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119784

I definitely think different people have varying levels of tolerance - I seem to be able to hear any high pitched electronic noise at 50 paces :)

If anything can be done, av-sales will, they were brilliant during my support...

Cheers

JJ

25. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Good to know JasonJo - thanks.

Sadly the "loud" buzz returned tonight again after about 4 hours viewing. I had to really twist the Mrs. arm to agree to get the plasma - and she's now nipping my head about the buzz! So ... looks like I'll be calling AV-sales on Monday and see what they say. I'm keen to avoid what you went through (the "shipping plasmas back and forward" thing) ... I wonder if they would consider getting someone like Joe F (who lives in my neck of the woods and is a retailer) to come round and listen for a few minutes and report back to them? Anyhow - I'm now /really/ glad I went with av-sales and not another retailer - the service they've given everyone else (and me so far) means that I'm not "bricking it" about having spend 2K on something I'm not happy with! :)

ZedZed

26. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Taking note of all that's been said so far I wonder if it's simply the way the power supply on these things work.

Some of you have reported that the brighter the picture the louder it gets.
    This suggest that a transformer within the power supply is working harder and therefore emit a louder buzz.

Some of you can hear it more than other, but this could be because the settings on your plasma's are different (contrast and brightness).

Cheange your settings and signal source and note if the buzz change with it.

27. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    By the way, I read somewhere that when plasma panels are used at altitudes above 6000 feet they buzz like mad and their longevity decrease.

In other words ..... Plasma + high altitude = buzz

28. Loftus

Loftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it some of the plasma "buzz" can be attributed to the altitude at which the plasma is operated. Apparently the lower air pressure as you go higher causes the noise level to increase. Check out the specs, most Plasma manufacturers list a "max altitude" for the plasma to operate in - Its pretty high though and won't affect 99% of customers

For the record my Panny 42PHD makes a faint "electrical" buzzing that is only audible from about 2 inches from the rear. My Philips widescreen CRT made about the same amount of noise.

29. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My retailer has just been out to listen to my buzzing PWD6 and reckons that it's a fairly normal sound. Although he did admit to being a musician and the fact that his higher frequency hearing was most likely to be subdued. However, he did say that he would call Panasonic out if it was a real problem. I said that I'd live with it for a couple of weeks and let him know if I want something done about it.

The buzz is only a problem during quiet parts of programmes and when the rest of the house is quiet. It definetly gets louder when the screen gets brighter. At the moment I really hear it because I'm aware of it. I may get used to it like I did with my previous TiVo hard disk that developed a high pitched whine. My husband hasn't really heard the buzz yet, so it might just be me. I would accept the buzz if I knew that all plasmas did it, but knowing that some people say that their's are silent makes me want a silent one.

30. novaya_zemla

novaya_zemla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats how I saw it - If theres quiet ones out there I want one... But I reckon they are all the same. The only variable is one's hearing!