I sold my HD800s, doh!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by windhoek, Feb 15, 2014.

1. windhoek

windhoek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Last year I sold my HD800s to fund the purchase of a Lavry DA11 DAC and now have seller's remorse lol. It all began when I bought a pair of Linn Kan speakers at the start of last year and because they're bass-lite, neighbour friendly and fun to listen to, I pretty much stopped listening to music via my headphones because I could play the Kans semi-loud just about anytime I wanted to, even at night, and so thinking I no longer needed the HD800s, sold them and bought the Lavry DAC. Wait, there's more...

A couple of weeks ago, I sold my NJC Audio Monitor II headphone amp because even though I still had a pair of HD650, I wasn't using them and thought I might as well sell the headphone amp and if I really want to listen to music via headphones, I could just plug the HD650s into the headphone socket on my Lavry DAC. I did this last week and OMG, what an experience. I wouldn't say I now want to listen to music via headphones all the time, but I now wish I'd kept the HD800s because it turns out, the Lavry is an excellent headphone amp as well as an excellent DAC.

The HD650s sound pretty good via the DAC, but do seem a little overblown near the bottom end and I reckon if I still had the HD800s, I'd have the perfect amp for them as the DAC seems to give a bit more bass than the NJC did, which I reckon, would be perfect for HD800s. So, I now want to buy another pair of HD800s, which is good becuse they're great headphones and I think the DAC will be a perfect match, but bad because it means paying top dollar for another pair, doh! :facepalm:

2. windhoek

windhoek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Mmm, I just had a thought; maybe the bass I'm hearing seems overblown simply because I'm not used to hearing bass! My Kans produce very little bass and because I've not used my HD650s for a while, perhaps I just forgot they've got a mid-bass hump and that's why they sound the way they do.

I still think the HD800s with their spectacular mid-treble could sound even more spectacular with my DAC than they did with my NJC amp, so I'd still like another pair, even if it is bad for my wallet.

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,601
    Why not take the Lavry to a local dealer and try with HD800. Practically *everyone* sells Senn

Kinda do get what you mean. The concert like soundstage is nice and all but thought the HD800 bass and overall fun factor lacking for my personal tastes. So for me the HD800 requires 'colouration'

Hence the TH900 purchase :D :devil: :love:

4. windhoek

windhoek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that lol. Taking my Lavry to a local dealer (in Glasgow, fwiw) and comparing with the HD650s makes so much sense, especially if I'm gonna drop £1k on a pair of headphones.

I know what you mean about the sound of the HD800s and although they had a spectacular mid-treble, I always wanted a bit more bass from them, but the NJC amp was probably too neutral to make that happen. If I can try a pair of HD800s with my Lavry, that should let me know whether the bass I'm hearing with the HD650s comes from the Lavry or the HD650s. It might well be both, but as long as there's some coming from the Lavry, and I think/ hope there is, I might just have the perfect amp for the HD800s.

Cheers Steven, I now have a plan :thumbsup:

5. Member 266567

Member 266567

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Sorry to throw a curve ball, but have you considered the new Final Audio Design Pandora VI?

We think this competes with the HD800 for less money. They are REALLY impressive.

6. windhoek

windhoek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Thanks for the suggestion about the Final Audio Pandora VI headphones. I don't think I've heard of them previously, so know very little about them. I'll have a look on the web to see what the word is...

7. windhoek

windhoek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    I spent some time reading about the FAPH cans and although they seem to offer a lot of bang for buck, it sounds like there would be too much bang for my needs and so I'm sticking with my plan to buy another pair of HD800s. The Final Audio cans seem to offer great treble and great bass, but as I want to have a pair of cans that have less bass than my HD650s, going for the Final Audio cans seems like the wrong choice. It also seems like the Final Audio cans are heavy and perhaps a bit too snug/ uncomfortable on the ears.

On the whole, bearing in mind I've never actually used them, they're close, but no cigar for me, and so the hunt for HD800s is back on. :)

8. windhoek

windhoek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    ok, I now have another pair of HD800s - I just hope I don't sell them in a fit of madness lol :)

9. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,601
    Congrats. u know i've always wanted to try the HD700 as it is positioned interestingly

Bass like everything else is a nuanced topic. I prefer my HD600 presentation but either / or HD650 both have merit. The TH900 changed my perception of headphone bass

10. windhoek

windhoek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    I nearly bought a pair of HD600s when Play were selling them for £99 - I know, £99, that's cheap as (a lot of) chips! I only held back because I already owned a pair of HD650s and in the end bought a pair of HD595s because of their low impedance and I thought I might use them with my then mp3 player. Never did though and now wish I had bought the HD600 lol.