• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I slated it before release and now I'm hooked

Hades

Distinguished Member
I did nothing but moan saying how crap it would be and that nothing would appeal to me, how wrong I was.

We picked the 4GB 360 with Kinect up from Argos for £234.98 (I used a voucher received through the post and a previous £10 gift one).

This then gave us another £10 gift voucher. So we got Kinect Sports and Dance Central (used the voucher) and they came to £51.98 and then got a £5 voucher given from that purchase.. So cost us £286.96 in total :thumbsup: with another voucher to go against another game.

Connected it all up and it worked faultless from the word go. I actually stumbled when throwing the javelin :laugh: which the girlfriend found highly amusing. Only just finished playing at 2am and I'm bloody shattered. I finished up with 98.54m on the javelin, so happy with that.

Lots of potential for this and certainly looking forward to see what games come out in the future.

Nezben

Distinguished Member
If you slated it so much before release, what made you take the plunge?

Hades

Distinguished Member
User feedback and seeing it actually working.

JonStatt

User feedback and seeing it actually working.

Good on you for being honest enough to tell us how you did a 180 degrees on your opinion. I hope that will turn-around some other sceptics. I had my strong doubts about the technology and got swept along by the lag reports. A reviewer on YouTube said the lag was sometimes more than a second!

However my quest for new technology meant I still bought it anyway, and I am so glad that I did. Hopefully more people will step forwards with their opinion and right some of the wrong review/press coverage.

DrWise

Banned
i was exactly the same, i didnt slate the kinect, but i wanted to see peoples opinions before i dived in, so i've just got a reservation with Argos, will pick it up later today or tomorrow can't wait :)

tony kop77

I will get one for xmas but that is more to me wanting the latest gadgets. I can see myself getting bored with it after a few weeks as there are no more than 3 decent games until the new year. Can you compete online against other players?

Noggleboggleman

I will get one for xmas but that is more to me wanting the latest gadgets. I can see myself getting bored with it after a few weeks as there are no more than 3 decent games until the new year. Can you compete online against other players?

I think the games have full Xbox Live functionality. Not tried it myself though.

tony kop77

I think the games have full Xbox Live functionality. Not tried it myself though.

I think that would be some sort of leadeboard so you can compare how good you are at the games compared to your friends. Would be great if you could play table tennis or boxing agaisnt your friends and see them on cam in the game.

Noggleboggleman

I think that would be some sort of leadeboard so you can compare how good you are at the games compared to your friends. Would be great if you could play table tennis or boxing agaisnt your friends and see them on cam in the game.

Looking on the back of the boxes, they all state online multiplayer and co-op play (with the exception of Dance Central).

Joyride has 2-8 player multiplayer and 2 player co-op
Sports has 2-4 player multiplayer and 2 player co-op
Adventures has 2 player multiplayer and 2 player co-op

As I say, I've not tried it myself yet, but it does look promising! Especially 8 player joyride!

tony kop77

Thanks :) sounds promising, looking forward to rock band 3 and kinect for xmas day now, might not buy headphones until xmas either :D Xmas day is boring and dont get the presents i used to get so somethings I dont buy until closer to xmas so got something to look forward to opening and playing on xmas day. Sad I know :D

DrWise

Banned
i wanna pick rock band up aswell that looks fun :)
getting my kinect tomorrow :)

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
I always felt (and I think I said it in a couple of posts) that MS knew exactly what they were doing with Kinect from day 1 and they knew there would be scepticism, but had confidence in the product to convert people.

A risky strategy maybe, but one I feel has/will lead to great success for Kinect. :thumbsup:

Droogie 2001

I had my first go on Kinect yesterday in a PC World store.
Just stumbled on it really. No one else was on it so my son an I had a 5 minute go.

It was the Kinect Adventures running river run game and I must say I felt a bit of a fool jumping around in front of everyone.
Anyway I was pleasantly surprised on how responsive it seemed, I was expecting the lag to be terrible.
I could have carried on playing for much longer but you have to share I guess :D

The only downside is that it looks like it needs quite alot of room to work, it kept asking us to move back. The distance from the device was a good 8ft.

I have no intention in buying it yet but its definitely increased my interest.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom