I see nothing!

mshdsp

Hi there,

I've just connected by HD XE1 to my Panasonic TX32LXD500 via HDMI. Switched on the player for the first time, and nothing. The display on the player says 'SETUP'. Admittedly, I haven't read the instruction manual yet, but I thought that I'd at least see a setup screen on my TV. Any ideas guys?

CarlB

I certainly got the setup screen straight away (after the boot time) on my SXRD screen connected via HDMI. Make sure the HDMI cable is connected firmly at both ends, as I had a similar issue with my PS3 when I first connected it, and couldn't figure out why I had no picture.

mshdsp

I certainly got the setup screen straight away (after the boot time) on my SXRD screen connected via HDMI. Make sure the HDMI cable is connected firmly at both ends, as I had a similar issue with my PS3 when I first connected it, and couldn't figure out why I had no picture.

I'm not using the HDMI cable that came with it, but my QED one instead. I'll give the other cable a go.

Thanks for the response.

mshdsp

All sorted. It was connect fine. My TV's HDMI channel had trouble recognising the player. It sorted itself out. Cheers!

geeWcee

mshdsp, did you end up using the HDMI cable that came with your machine or your QED one? I only ask that cos I've had issues with my QED HDMI cable too. Seems a bit of a coincedence!

mshdsp

mshdsp, did you end up using the HDMI cable that came with your machine or your QED one? I only ask that cos I've had issues with my QED HDMI cable too. Seems a bit of a coincedence!

Hi there, mate.

I tried the cable that came with the player and it worked fine. I then swapped the cable for the QED cable, and thankfully, it works, too.

Does your QED cable work now?

geeWcee

Does your QED cable work now?
Thankfully I bought 2, and the second one i tried has worked so far. Just wondered if there was an issue with them - seems its probably a faulty cable. Glad you got yours sorted!

geese

My QED SR cable will arrive monday...can you 2 see any improvements when using the QED cable? Thanks

My QED SR cable will arrive monday...can you 2 see any improvements when using the QED cable? Thanks

HDMI cables between manufacturers won't show any difference at all. If the HDMI cable works without problems, then you're getting the best picture you'll possibly get.

geese

HDMI cables between manufacturers won't show any difference at all. If the HDMI cable works without problems, then you're getting the best picture you'll possibly get.

Hmm...just spent 60£ for that QED cable. Its the blacks....sometimes they are really bad...blue like. But when using my Yamaha with that same movie with Monster component its all good. So I figured it was the hdmi cable.

Well, between different ways of sending video - analogue Component (what we usually just call "Component") and digital Component (which is probably what the HDMI cable is sending) there's a lot more room for differences to pop up. But between two cables sending identical data, there should be no difference, assuming it's getting from device to display properly.

charliecossie

It may not be a cable problem.
The XE1 has HDMI handshake problems. Firmware 1.3 has improved things somewhat but it still takes a while to lock. Toshiba say, boot the player before turning on the display.

geese

Yeah I currently have version 1.1 but 1.3 is on its way. I will try and start the player up first before turning on the Pioneer. Thanks...

geeWcee

The reason I got the QED is because the one that came with the player is too short. The picture looks bloody good to me anyway!

mshdsp

It may not be a cable problem.
The XE1 has HDMI handshake problems. Firmware 1.3 has improved things somewhat but it still takes a while to lock. Toshiba say, boot the player before turning on the display.

I believe I am experiencing this very thing. I turned on my TV and then my player and there was no picture. I took the cable out at both ends and then attached and it was fine. Strange. I'll make sure I boot-up the player first in future. Ridiculous that you should have to do this.

Do we think that a lot of the issues with this player will be resolved with firmware updates?

dav-t

Distinguished Member
I,ve also had a hdmi handshake problem between the XE1 and my PJ, in my case I was advised by my dealer (PJ)to make sure the PJ was ON first.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom