i Scan or new DVD player??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Duffers0, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go gentle on a newbie!!

Just got my new NEC VR5 (standard definition)

looking for new DVD player, was close to considering the Denon 2910.

Before I take the plunge should I be considering keeping my old Sony DVP S725D (component out interlaced only) and for about the same money as the Denon consider the iScan Ultra. I wont stretch to the HD+ though.

Would like to use the DVI in on the plasma but it is HDCP compliant is the iScan DVI out compliant??

Pound for pound what do you reckon Sony as a transport to iScan or new Denon 2910.

If the iScan could also improve on standard Sky (RGB in on VR5) picture quality this may sway my decision.

In reality improving Sky, this is about 65% of all viewing, really appeals though the SDI mod box route is beyond budget.

Any pros and con to consider would be useful.

thanks in advance for the Wisdom!! ;)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    consider the IScan HD or LumagenDVi both around £800 the Iscan ultra isnt really worth the money these days I am not a fan of HDMI/DVi DVD players and think that your HDCP input can be better utilised in the future perhaps another great player like the Arcam DV89 would be abetter buy especially if needed for CD duties....

3. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry meant HD model but can't go to HD+

Can pick up HD new for £575

So are you saying Component in from old DVD through IScan component out into VR5, keep DVI on VR5 free for say Sky HD in the future??

would current normal Sky improve going through i scan??

using Iscan HD does this mean I could acheive nirvana 1:1 pixel mapping??

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    IScan HD will be superb....
    DVD via component
    Sky via RGBS out to VR5 on RGBHV either D-Sub or 5 BNC input on the VR5 and 1:1 should be possible never tried on a VR5 myself but cant see why it wont work and work very well....

5. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I personally feel that buying a new HD over a new HD+ is a mistake in the long term, you save £100 but you wont be able to use it with any HDMI or HDCP encoded DVI sourced data streams (virtually all digital sources, except pc). look at the problem people who bought the sagem 50 DLP are having thinking they will never need or want HDCP. Do the job properly and spend the extra £100

6. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Be warned though, the ISCAN only accepts progressive input via DVI (ie 576p not 576i), so sadly you will still have to rely on your DVD player to do the deinterlacing. Come on dvdo, sort this oversight out

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    chris5 you can have a main board upgrade to HD+ specs at a later date if needed and 576i may be possible with a firmware update and thats only an issue when using DVi for DVD player output which is a waste of time in my opinion stick to good interlaced component output for DVD and save DVi for HD stuff

PS where can you get an HD+ for £675?

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,577
    DuffersO

There's no reason to not use the HDCP enabled DVI input on your Display - its not always cut and tried but usually the DVI input will be less 'noisy' than the RGBHV inputs (BNC or HD15).

The DVDO iScanHD is limited to being a passive switch for any HDCP sources - whereas the iScanHD+ and Lumagen VisionDVI can actually process an HDCP signal - though worth noting that currently the iScanHD+ is limited to a very few Progressive input signals whereas Lumagen works with Progressive and Interlaced signals.

See http://www.dvdo.com/faq/faq_ishd.html#faq_hd2

As lower cost HDMI equipped players are released the ability to process HDCP encoded signals will become an interesting proposition over the next year or so - as will the ability to process SKY HD when its launched.

Lumagen have just released new firmware that works with the Pioneer DV-868AVi and Arcam HDMI equipped players at 480i and 576i - it may not be SDI but its pretty close :)

See http://www.lumagen.com/update_hdp.htm

RGB in from your Digibox will look much better with a Video Processor in circuit - though I have to say half the trick with these devices is in the setting up and configuring. DIY is fine if you have the time and patience to learn and not get frustrated if it all doesn't come target first time round.

If your not into fiddling better to strike a deal with your supplier that includes having the system installed and configured for you.

Best regards

Joe

9. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I understand uk importer owl will not honor an upgrade, its for US and mainland europe dealers only (i could be wrong on this), and the upgrade is bound to cost more than buying it new with board already fitted purely because of the work involved in 'upgrading'. You are right, there is talk of a possible 576i software upgrade, but as you know in this game, 'talk is cheap and dealers are full of broken promises'. it might or might not happen, the fact is it is not here yet.

10. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Hi Joe, the other thing you did not mention that is in Lumagens favour is the fact it has 2 DVI inputs so you can connect a dvd player and sky HD at the same time with no hassle, unllike the Iscan that only has 1 dvi in

11. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not to lose the point of my original question, is that I have funds for either IScan or DVD player around £5-600 mark.

My Sony DVD (good in its day) outputs component, interlaced only!!

Would rely on Iscan for deinterlacing and upscaling (if upscaling reaps PQ reward)

VR5 DVI or Component in, is probably a bit of trial / error and watching PQ.

The Unique selling point for me is that an Iscan may improve standard Sky which upgrading the DVD player would not.

So is it to be new Scaler or DVD player upgrade?? mmmm :rolleyes:

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,577
    Hi Chris5

And the backup available to Dealers and End Users of Lumagen is in a different league to DVDO in the UK - I hope Chris from Owl is not reading this :)

Best regards

Joe

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    duffers scaler mate either iscanHD or LumagenDVi will be the best bang per buck improvement......my vote goes HD for lower price and audio delay feature. both can have a SDi mod too (one input on HD 2 on lumagen)

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,577
    DuffersO

I still think its valid to say are you sure you want to spend £675.00 (your price) on a non HDCP compliant iScanHD when £815.00 (UK SRP) will get you a fully HDCP compliant VisionDVI.

If SKY accounts for 65% of your viewing its a no brainier answer to your original question :)

Best regards

Joe

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    But wont do a thing for lipsync if you notice it or find scaler introduces it.... :hiya:
    Joe have you installed a DVi with an NEC? particularly a VR5?

16. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have a HD - its a cracking bit of kit! Stick two wires into a lemon and it'll wrangle a great picture out of it. However if I'd go HD+ if I was buying now - HDCP and all that.

So are you saying Component in from old DVD through IScan component out into VR5, keep DVI on VR5 free for say Sky HD in the future??

Your choice - but all we have from Sky regarding Hi Def is a press release and you can't plug that into component or DVI. Borrow a DVI player and find out if you think its worth it.

would current normal Sky improve going through i scan??

Yep - RGBs is great. Lesser channels are not always pleasant with this 'honesty' though. Audio delay variance is often a useful feature with Sky as well.

using Iscan HD does this mean I could acheive nirvana 1:1 pixel mapping??

Probably - but you may prefer other outputs. Don't get stuck on it as the be all and end all setting - it's a good place to start.

The HD takes some learning at first and it won't output to DVI from VGA input but apart from that its really good at making cheap sources look beautiful on screen.

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    you can on HDCP DVi with [email protected] support.......but exactly what will work with the SKY STB no one can say unitl the boxes are available....

18. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Notice some users of HD and HD+ also have connected quality DVD players. Other than improved sound from a better player, what benefits would this provide if using HD/+ internal scaler and deinterlacer over me using my old Sony 725 component out interaced signal into HD/+.
    If getting an iScan could squeeze some more life out of the Sony and provide PQ close to a £600 DVD player then this must make sense???

19. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    as I stated earlier, if you use dvi in on the iscan, you cant use 576i as it is not supported, therfore you have to use 576p and rely on the dvd player to do the deinterlacing

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,577
    DuffersO

The better the source signal the better the end result via the Video Processor - feed an error free interlaced signal from a high quality transport into the Video Processor and you'll see it at its best.

That said many customers use a legacy player as a 'transport' to feed an Interlaced signal into a Video Processor.

I take it your somehow averse to considering a Lumagen over a DVDO :)

Best regards

Joe

21. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Chris

My first post may have confused. I do not have a DVI out DVD player at present, I am just considering between a iScan HD for £550 (secondhand 6 months old from a friend leaving our shores) or go and upgrade my old Sony 725 component interlaced out DVD player with something like a Denon 2910, its one or the other not both :( i'm afraid.

Key for me though is for minimal outlay I may also benefit from improved Sky through HD AND improved DVD PQ, maybe.

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    YOu will benefit from improved Sky with an Iscan HD and i should think DVD would improve too why not ask if you borrow the HD buy a scart to 4 phono cable £20 and have a play mate

23. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    I think you would best to Buy a Denon 1910 and save for a scaler that will handle hdcp as £550 to me is a waste of money on something that won't at this stage.