1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I-scan HD to DL450 via DVI-I & EVC

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by binbag, Jun 26, 2004.

1. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently got an Iscan HD and have yet to get my Davis DL450 DLP pj to accept a signal from its Digital output (DVIP & DVIV). The projector has an EVC (P&D) input which I have bridged to DVI-I with a Lindy adaptor cable. There is 10m of DVI-I cable until it gets to the scaler.

Given that the settings I get a picture with the analogue (VGA) output are achievable in DVI setup, am I asking too much of the signal from the scaler? (I am aware of the DDWG 7.5m recommendation.)

Is EVC truly DVI compatable or is it a different shaped analogue connection?

I have read the HD has DVI issues - would this manifest itself in not being read by the pj at all - It is this that leads (sic) me to believe that the problem lies with the interface (that and the hope that its a lot cheaper fix!!)

(The picture via VGA and the pj's buffer box/ converter cable is fantastic btw...)

TIA.
    binbag.

2. Dale Adams

Dale Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I didn't think an EVC connection accepted a DVI input. Although it looks like a DVI connector, I don't think it really has an actual DVI capability but rather uses the pins for other purposes (audio, 1394, etc.). This would explain why you can't get a picture using a DVI signal. I've never actually used one of these, however. Anyone else here know for sure?

What DVI issues are these? I'm not aware of any issues with the iScan HD's DVI output. (Are you thinking of the Ultra, perhaps?)

- Dale Adams

3. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    After a couple of days hoovering the search engines I'm coming to the same conclusion Dale, which is annoying because I wasn't aware of this before (I've had the pj about 3 months now) and is OK because the picture is great and it keeps a format stream (If I just invented that term I'll want a credit) from output to image.

It looks like there are 2 EVC versions - one does analogue video and other signals (such as the 232 port earlier Davis pjs had) and the later squarer one that accepted a digital video signal.

So it's time to rethink the cabling (again) and find a UK supplier of a EVC to Vga adaptor - I found a post that said the PQ improved when the buffer box was replaced.

As for the DVI issues comment I'm probably referencing all the Panny Plasma posts. Don't lay any stock against what I'm saying as just I'm learning and regurgitating facts for confirmation on this one.

binbag.