Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

I-scan audio problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by absthechatter, Jan 6, 2005.

1. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having a problem with audio and my I-scan. I currently have NLT Digital box and DVD surround sound system. Unfortunately NTL only outputs through scart and only RGB. The DVD system is easy as it has component output and digital audio input and outputs. My plasma only has analogue audio input.

I know I need a JS converter from NTL for picture but will I also need analogue to digital audio converter so I can input into iscan, or can I loop it through DVD somehow.
    Also will I need a digital to analogue converter the other end to go in to plasma.

Many thanks

Dave

2. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone any ideas on the sound? Will an amp help me in any way?

Many thanks

3. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm picking up my HD tomorrow and also have NTL etc. HAve you experienced much audio delay when using the scaler?

Until I get mine I can't really work out how I'm going to do it as yet.

4. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The HD has built in lip sync. I have not used it yet as I think!! I need to convert my NTL audio signal to Digital first and then from digital to audio to go into the screen.
    The audio converters cost a small fortune though, so I was trying to find out if there was another way to do it i.e. daisy chaining through DVD with surround sound, or buying amp or some other way.

The picture I get with HD is superb - but I have no sound with NTL, which is a bit of a problem!!!

5. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Abs I do what you describe in post one above - Scart 1 RGB into scaler then plug a scart -> L R audio + Svideo converter into Scart 2, run L and R audio leads into an analogue to digi audio converter then feed digi audio from that into the scaler which syncs 'em up again perfectly. The converter was forty quid (product "DIGAC" from Keene Electronics) which was a pain extra spend but worth it (says Mrs Smiffy) so EastEnders is watchable again!

For me, watching everything through my DVDR and so using it to convert to digi audio then into the scaler to be synched wasn't an option because of the encoding delay it (a Panny HS2) introduces when you're not recording.

Hope this helps.

Stan.

6. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Dan, that sounds about what I expected. One last question though, when you take audio from Iscan to plasma, do you then have to convert audio back to analogue with a DA converter (or do you have digital audio inputs on your plasma)?

Many thanks

Abs

7. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi abs, my NTL's audio comes out of the iScan and into an amp / surround sound setup since my plasma is a display model only. So gawd yeah, it looks like you're gonna need *another* conversion, this time digi audio to analogue post- iScan sync-ing with the pic... :( It's either that or buy an amp your iScan can feed into (+speakers, cables etc. etc.) Or learn to lip read of course! :(

Good luck mate.

Dan.