I say Viera, My friend says Samsung

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by pcookie, May 7, 2007.

1. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    My friend is looking to buy a new telly (40-42inch) and so off we trotted to Kingston to try a few out. I had already said that for around the £1000 mark, the best bet was probably the Panasonic PX70. Problem was, he'd already seen the Samsung R87 LCD and was smitten.
    After looking around, we finished up in the Panasonic shop, looking at the PX70 and 700.
    The problem was that although DVD and HD were brilliant through both sets and the sound was better on the PX700, the picture on SD was awful.
    Now I've always thought that plasma was a winner because of the way it handled SD, but I have to say on the evidence of today, the Samsung swung it on SD! In fact the M87 wasn't that bad on SD and at 1080 was incredible.
    So what's going on? Has LCD finally got there or am I missing a trick with the PX70? Talk me and my friend out of it guys. My TV purchase isn't that far off and now I'm more confused than ever.

Cookie

2. CHFels

CHFels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    What was the source? And was it being fed identically to the Samsung and the Panasonics? SD is generally considered very good on the new Panasonics, *except* that the internal Freeview tuner puts out an image that is a bit soft, non-sharp compared to others. Some owners still like it, others use a different freeview tuner.

I believe Samsung's making progress, but I am skeptical that they could have closed the gap with Panny plasmas for SD, overall - and the R87 is the next-to-bottom of the lineup . . .

CHFels