1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I, Robot - DVHS

Discussion in 'TVs' started by museumsteve, Feb 2, 2005.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    Not sure if anyone saw the chat on avsforums but seems like I, Robot got a majorly limited release on D-Theater this week and sold out within 24 hours. Seems the tape was only available at dvhsmovie.com (not even Fox had it listed) and no mention of when/if more will be available :(

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    A Digital VHS version? Just want to make sure im understanding!

Never knew it existed. I just got the R2 (jp) 2 disk set. Quality is impressive enough!

I wonder, what kind of audio does the D-VHS version offer?

What about resolution? can D-VHS do 720p and 1080i?

3. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :blush: see post below.

4. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    DVHS movies are 1080i and some (including I, Robot) are DTS. I cant wait for this one :)

6. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That's great that Fox are still releasing D-Theater titles
    I-Robot in 1080i with full bitrate dts :clap:

Great that next-gen are taking pre-orders aswell :thumbsup: I just hope it comes in soon

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Cant beleive you guys are so into this pretty much dead technology!

When Blu Ray and HD-DVD arrive this format will probably die off, not coz the technology is unsound but because support will simply stop.

8. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

HD-DVD will not hit the street until Q4 2005 and Blu-Ray Movies 2006. In my eyes that's a long way off.

I want Hi-Def NOW and DVHS fits the bill. ;) But I do hate tapes

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    same here.
    If you have the means and display etc why wait. I have a great library of DVHS movies. There is plenty of talk about whether the upcoming DVD formats will be able to match D-Theater in all areas. I would seriously need to look at Blu Ray and HD-DVD for myself before believing it will surpass DVHS in both picture and sound.
    I personally can never understand people that do say 'why dont you wait', surely you can say that about everything these days. I've had customers in our shop saying they wont buy a PS2 cos PS3 is out next year..yeah that's fine but that means a year of not gaming - go figure :D

I've been enjoying DVHS for well over a year and so glad I took the plunge :) as are many DVHS owners I know.

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    already shipped mate, cant wait. Should be in early next week :smashin:

11. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    :clap: great news

12. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    I don't quite see how less than a year is a long time to wait? It'd be different if you could buy DVHS players and tapes in the UK, rather than having to import from USA. Is it really worth all the hassle of importing DVHS just to replace it in a years time or less. Also, the selection of DVHS tapes isn't exactly great. Be patient, it'll be 4th qtr 2005 before you know it.

13. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    Although I agree it must be great to be able to watch movies in 1080i/720p I'm not sure if I could go back to tapes and all their associated problems, (especially the lack of instant access). It's bad enough that my dvd collection is to be replaced so soon, without the additional expense of DVHS. Just for the sake of being patient and waiting 1 year. Doesn't seem worth it to me. Especially when DVHS tapes are roughly £20 to import from places like dvdboxoffice, (either £17 or £22 it seems). Personally I'm happy to rent dvds for now and wait to buy hi-def discs later.

As for PS2 I agree. Though it's a slightly different situation in that current PS2 games will not be getting re-released for PS3. Therefore if you want to play PS2 games there's no advantage waiting for the release of the PS3 as the games won't be souped up with better graphics/sound. But there are definite convenience benefits and probable picture and sound quality benefits from waiting for films on hi-def disc.

I must admit I've yet to read/hear of any speculation regarding the quality of hi-def discs vs DVHS. All the talk I have read points towards the format supporting 1080p24. Surely providing a superior picture to 1080i. What's the bit rate like on DVHS, 18MBps!? Apparantly hi-def discs are 36MBps. Also, I've read about lossless hi-def sound and 13.2 channel being possible. Still, even if the difference is only slight, the choice between disc and tape is significant enough.

14. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Have a look at Next-Gen or CRT Projectors you don't have to import anything it's already here. ;)

It wasn't any hassle buying my 40k or any of the flms i own

15. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to admit I actually like the simple film presentation of D-Theater. I only normally watch films right through so the random access isn't really an issue for me and I *hate* all the stupid animated menus of today's DVD's which you have to impatiently wait to finish "doing their thing" before you can get to the start of the film. The best DVD's in this respect were the early Warner ones which just went straight into the film - didn't even have a copyright warning. The vunerability of tape can be an issue - not to mention dirty heads etc. etc.

As for D-VHS - D-Theater has been about for nearly 4 years now so some have had decks for some time so its a case of topping up the collection prior to other formats coming along.

(btw - HD-DVD will launch in the USA and Japan in Q4 - no European date has been set so don't hold your breath just yet. If you want it first you will have to go the import route with player and software)

I've got about 40 D-Theater titles and about 100 D-VHS titles I've got from friends etc. so D-VHS has enabled me to enjoy HDTV for four years in the UK when there was no other option so, for that, I am grateful for it. When new and better options come along I will move to them.

16. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    D-Theater titles are recorded at 28MBps

17. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    As I said before, its not because D-VHS isnt good or anything. Its just because support will eventually die off. So my question is, what are you going to do with all those tapes?

I have a couple of other questions. With older VHS, there was a major problem of fading over time. Does this happen to D-VHS too? (if you watch a favorite film again and again)

Also how big are the tapes and players? What kind of outputs?

Just wondering! Do these players go the analogue way (component) or the digital HDCP way with DVI-D?

18. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've played favourite VHS tapes dozens of times - still do with some titles not yet available on DVD - and never encountered fading. As for d-theater, it's hugely satisfying to be able to watch a nigh-on perfect picture. And as has already been well said, if you have the means and display to indulge yourself, why wait? The CRT Projectors website (an excellent company by the way) gives a lot of useful information about connections and so on. Basically though it's simplicity itself - takes longer to get it out of the box than it does to set it up!

19. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same as I've done with my Laserdiscs and will do with DVD. Keep them, probably. I will not replace any D-Theater titles with Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD until either I no longer have a working deck to play them on or the tapes will not work. Quality wise, HD-DVD/Blu-ray will not be significantly better.

In theory, yes, as there is contact between the head and tape it is possible for wear to occur. How many times though, on average, is a given title watched? Not that many.

Tapes & players are the same as any VHS deck. Ouputs on the older models are component, the newer model also has a HDMI output. All D-Theater tapes are 1080i.

To stray off topic a bit, I must admit I have pretty much resolved myself to not replace most of my DVD's and other formats with HD disc versions. I was sorting through some titles the other day and realised to my horror there is one title I own:

The original Laserdisc
    The AC3 (Dolby Digital) re-release Laserdisc
    The DTS Laserdisc
    The DVD
    On D-Theater

Absolute madness. I've identified about 15 DVD titles I would replace with HD versions, everything else will be new release titles.

20. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The tapes are the same size as vhs/svhs tapes,

JVC 30k = Component
    JVC 40k = Component and will output dts
    JVC 5U = HDMI and Component
    All the above have firewire inputs aswell

21. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Here is pic of my 40k

22. Sir_Baron

Sir_Baron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the idea of D-vhs but what the hell its about £550 for the player and £30-40 for the films o_O its bad enough getting a 50" axium at my young age of 20 lol, but the price on those are insane i pay that much for whole series not 1 film crazy i tells ya.

if the players was say £200-250 and the films £15-20 then ok 25 max but anything above that and i might as well sell my soul to the film companies.

23. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    I'm not saying DVHS isn't an interesting proposition. And if you already have one then great. I just can't see much point investing in a system (now)that will be obsolete in a year or so's time. Still, if you can afford to then why not. Where can you buy players and tapes in the UK, and how much?

24. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    You can import tapes for £17-22 from www.dvdboxoffice.com. There must be other Canadian/USA stores you can import DVHS tapes from also.

25. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  26. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    HD-DVDs will be out to buy in a matter of months and cost about £15 a disc. :clap:

27. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    AIUI that is the maximum data rate supported for the entire MPEG2 signal - not just the video portion - with DTS and DD5.1 audio, housekeeping etc. taking up the slack.

ISTR that the video section maxes out at around 23 Mbs? (Still very good and better than that which can be achieved using a full ATSC channel for one HD video service)

AIUI it wasn't possible to record Euro1080's original pilots (which were well over 20Mbs) on DVHS gear via firewire, because the video data rate was too high. (You did get a picture of sorts when using the recorder as an MPEG2 decoder though) Now that Euro1080 is going out at a lower rate I guess this isn't a problem - though I'm not sure the JVCs like 50Hz decoding for their component outputs - though AIUI the Firewire in and out is fine as it is just a data pipe for the MPEG2 stuff and doesn't care what standard it is?

28. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    Looking at the first site, a JVC player is over £600, and tapes are £35-40. Think I'll stick with dvds at £10-15 a time. Or better still, rent for £1 a go and wait for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.

29. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Amazon had players for $400 for the better 40000 I think, that is nearer £200, most tapes if you import are sub £20.

I see an interesting divide here between those who have these D Theatre players and love them and those who don't and largely haven't seen them. This is the dogs ******** guys, the best of the best currently available to us. Best sound AND picture available, hell even DD is better!

Blue Ray and HD DVD are much hyped, but I doubt we will see any this year (2005) and it may well be into 2006 before we see any significant progress with these two competing formats (and competing formats always work don't they, DVD A / SACD?). Will they be any better than D Theatre? I doubt it, at best they might approach what we have had since 2002. D theatre project started in 1996, and arrived in 2002, this might give a hint to the time scales blue and HD might be facing WITH IT'S ISSUES.

Most HD sat broadcasts in the states are of the order of 19mbs, with 15 as piccy info, some less again. I suspect that is what we are likely to see over here from Sky. D Theatre is current 28mbs, with something like 23mbs as piccy info. Still a big difference in my book. What we finally get from Blue and HD, well we will have to wait and see but I wouldn't like to bet on it being better that what we would have had via D theatre for 4-5 years by then.

30. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    absolutely :thumbsup: