1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I recommend this new DVD!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Dec 12, 2001.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hello,

Can I heartily recommend the following Region 2 :eek: DVD, please?!

"The Crimson Rivers" was released about 2 weeks ago, from the excellent folks at Columbia Tristar, as a double DVD set, for a not unreasonable £19-99. (RRP price!)

The film stars Jean Reno (of "Leon" fame) and Vincent Cassell (from La Haine). It is directed by La Haine's Matthieu Kassovitz.

The story follows two different French detectives: one a grizzled, cop fed-up with crime, and the other, a new-boy. Both investigate two separate incidents - a racist attack at a mausoleum, and a corpse discovered in ice - and it's not until they go after the culprits, that they realise they may be chasing down one and the same killer.

The film is shocking, grim and exceptionally well filmed. It's a cross between "Se7en" and "Cliffhanger". However, pay attention, as the clues are there in the film, but the ending may not make sense, unless you've noticed them.

The film is not for the squeamish, as some of the effects are very explicit, and certainly border on 18-certificate gore at times, so be warned! A nice little period French drama, this ain't!

The first disc, has both a French DD 5.1 soundtrack, and a dubbed English DD5.1 track. Subtitles are available in several languages including English. (The dub isn't too bad, as it is both authentic to the original French audio track, and has Jean Reno dubbing himself!) It also has two commentary tracks from the cast, and the director, writer and producers of the film.

Disc 2, has all the Extras on it. Several documentaries, totalling very close to 3 hours, plus trailers, featurettes, behind-the-scenes material, and other stuff.

All in all, a great shocking film, on a really good disc set, at a good price. Shame all R2 DVD's aren't this good! Defintiely one to buy and/or rent!

Pooch

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    You forgot to mention Vincent Cassel going head-to-head with a bunch of neo-nazi's in what has to be the most gratuitous kung fu action sequence I've seen...talk about being totally out of place with the rest of the film. And then there's the English dub where everyone apart from those that re-dubbed their own voices talk with thick New Yoik accents - Brooklyn cops in the Alps? Hmmmmm...

I have to say though, I did really enjoy this when I caught it a while ago. It's a visual feast for sure, and is pleasantly European looking making full use of the 2.35 frame and the Alpine scenery. It makes a nice change from generic US cop movies, especially as Reno is always watchable.

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Rambo,

You said: "You forgot to mention Vincent Cassel going head-to-head with a bunch of neo-nazi's in what has to be the most gratuitous kung fu action sequence I've seen...talk about being totally out of place with the rest of the film. And then there's the English dub where everyone apart from those that re-dubbed their own voices talk with thick New Yoik accents - Brooklyn cops in the Alps? Hmmmmm..."

Yeah, you're right about that. The fight did seem a little out of place, but it was well-edited to the background sound of two of the nazi's who are playing a Streetfighter game (or something similar) with the same music/theme", which was pretty clever!

As for the dub, almost all dubs will be American-oriented, simply because American's are notorious for hating subtitled films, and so any foreign-films that may get a good response to Blockbuster movie fans, tend to be released in two formats: the dubbed version to mainstream cinemas, and the subtitled one to reportory or arthouse cinemas. Columbia did the same for the R1 DVD of "Run Lola Run", and "The Princess And The Warrior" (which is out in Jan 2002!)

Pooch

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I saw this movie a couple of month ago as a German dub version (at a German cinema), you may even still find my "Just seen: ..." entry in the movie forum.
    Well, in short I like it - a change from the typical Hollywood blockbuster (or wannabe) set in an European environment.
    As you say it's prett explicit in some scenes but I think the story was quite good, too, though the ending was a kind of quick and "surprising".