I purchased a 55 inch ks7000 and compared to my old 55 h64000 it's poor.

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Philosophy, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Philosophy

Philosophy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have read nothing but rave reviews about the ks7000, about how great it's blacks are and how good the HDR is but I have recently received the set and I have to say, after calibration I am extremely underwhelmed.

Not only does the HDR (when utilised) completely destroy black levels and wash them out but black levels in SDR content also seems very washed out.

For comparison, I purchased a 55 h6400 a few years back, it was a low/mid tier TV at the time, no dimming whatsoever, essentially barebones and quite frankly it makes the ks7000 black levels look very washed out and poor in comparison, trust me, I have had them side by side and it really is a night and day difference to me.

Is my KS7000 faulty? I mean it does have some clouding present (my h6400 has no clouding whatsoever got a great unit) but I don't think the 7000 has enough to really effect the image as much as it is, I really cannot get black anywhere near inky, even with smart led on high and brightness down to 39 with the backlight to 4-5 it looks washed out

I used better call Saul as a 1-1 comparison, season 2 episode 3 at the end they meet in a dark carpark, on my h6400 the blacks are great, even with the backlight up to 20 in a dark room they avoid looking washed out, then I switch to my ks7000, same scene, same timestamp, backlight at 20, washed out to hell, Black's look grey and pale, even with backlight at 4 it's not matching the h6400 at 20!

So either there is some false information going around about the 7000 or it's faulty because surely my h6400 should not be outperforming it? Does anyone have any input?

2. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    Can't remember what mines set to , I'm at work so I can't check , but I have no issues at all with the Black's on this set , the only thing I can think of is getting that smart led down to low to start with ....

3. babator

babator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    H6400 was a great set for the price but black levels should be roughly similar. If you are watching via HDMI input, make sure HDMI black level in TV settings is set correctly (matching the source, either limited range or full range).

4. Matt wS

Matt wS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Is the luminosity the same for the same brightness? I would guess that the KS has a much more powerful backlight in order to hit 1000nits, so 20 on both sets is probably not the same. Allied to that, there are 4 times as many holes in the panel for light to potentially leak through.

5. Philosophy

Philosophy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Is there a reason smart led should be set to low? What's the difference between low and high?

I have noticed on the set that sometimes white writing will turn a yellow tint when smart led is set to low, I have no idea why.

6. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,258
    As per babator post have you checked the HDMI colour range. What source are you using, if it's Kodi check the range, if I have mine set wrongly on my plasma it looks terrible

7. Philosophy

Philosophy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Getting a replacement sent out, think I got a bad panel, compared it direct to my 6400 today and the 7000 isn't upscaling the 1080p content through my Sky Q box whatsoever, it looks awful, worse than the 6400.

The sharpness setting on the 7000 isn't even working at all either, not even in the slightest.

Like on my 6400 if I even get to 25 you start seeing ringing on the sharpness setting, on the 7000 sharpness could be at 100 and literally there is no difference whatsoever.

Add to that the fact the 7000 has clouding all over it, the smart led seems to be completely ineffective, I am having to turn brightness down to 39 on warm 2 with the backlight at nearly 8 in a dark room to get the blacks looking anything like my 6400 (which has the backlight at 20 on standard by the way in a dark room and looks better...I kid you not.)

I am hoping this is just a duff set, based on the impressions I have seen everywhere that seems to be the case so I will wait and see what the replacement is like.

If it isn't any better then I may have to return it completely, the 4k content looks good don't get me wrong and gaming on my PC looks great in terms of clarity at 4k but everything else about it is below par in comparison to the 6400 which cost me half the price.

I have them side by side and honestly, aside from netflix 4k and my PC games you cannot tell the difference whatsoever and from my experience the blacks of the 6400 are better, deeper and most realistic and it doesn't even have a dimming feature!

And yeah, checked the range, it's all set correct.

8. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,258
    Does the PC look correct or is that washed out too ?

9. Philosophy

Philosophy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    PC looks washed out as well, all sources look washed out to be honest.

Basically, all sources look washed out, any source below 4k looks like it isn't even being upscaled, sharpness is not working on any source (used test patterns, videos, you name it, 100-0 makes no difference.)

Smart LED off looks far worse than the h6400 which has no dimming options whatsoever, Smart LED on low or high is essentially worse on blacks than my h6400 (which again, lacks dimming.)

Surely this is an issue with the set right?

10. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,258
    You would hope there is something up with it as you appear to have to ruled out the usual suspects.

Washed out as I said can be caused by HDMI colour range being set to full rather than limited. (or is the other way round)

Tried a factory reset in case its something got stuck.

The 4k scaling might not be that good, is it just soft ?

11. Philosophy

Philosophy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah it's not a full rgb/limited issue for sure, set it to low and limited on my Nvidia control panel and normal and full and they both produce the same results, washed out image.

The only way it doesn't is when I set it to low/full and normal/limited, then it crushes black which as we both know is normal.

Haven't tried a factory reset, am going to now just incase, either way it will be getting swapped because the clouding is awful.

Do you notice a difference when using sharpening? It literally isn't working at all, makes no sense to me.

It is very soft, worse than my 1080p set by some margin, I would expect at the very least for it to be on par with it but it actually worsens the image.

I have tried setting my q box to 4k and letting that handle the scaling and also set it to 1080p and let the TV handle the scaling, both produce the same result.