i-pod touch from U.S.A.?

tokwitney

My sister-in-law is off to the states next week & I was wondering if it was worth me asking her to get me an i-pod touch from there?
Will there be a big difference in price?

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Doubt it. The exchange rate may help since it improved slightly over the last few months, but when I went in November last year, electronics and especially ipod type stuff was no cheaper and often more expensive.

dan536

Novice Member
I'd agree. Brother in Law flies out there regularly and while it used to be beneficial to buy stuff out there, you won't save anything at the moment. Unless things have changed in the last few weeks.

Plus - you'd also have to factor in buying a UK charger, as they only come supplied with the US style ones, or they did when I got my old old ipod a few years back from the US. Although, I'm not sure they even have chargers in the box now do they?

LFC

Standard Member
Looking at latest prices for 64gb £299 on uk site and $399 on us, Travelex exchange website has £252 equaling $399.

Looks like about £50 saving on the 64gb

less on lower models £23 on the 8g, and £40 on the 32gb.

Matt Horne

Add the sales tax on top as well.. for example 8% if you are in NYC.

Korum

iPod's don't have charger's in the box just a USB cable and the big advantage in buying a US iPod is it doesn't have any volume limit on it which our EU models have (Thanks France:D), everything else works as it does on our models.The only problem could be issues over warranty.

iPod's don't have charger's in the box just a USB cable and the big advantage in buying a US iPod is it doesn't have any volume limit on it which our EU models have (Thanks France:D), everything else works as it does on our models.The only problem could be issues over warranty.
iPod warranty is worldwide

jagr

the big advantage in buying a US iPod is it doesn't have any volume limit on it which our EU models have (Thanks France:D)

On my new 64gb 3rd Gen touch in Settings, Music it has an option saying Volume Limit Off

You can put one on if you wanted too.

alan280170

Distinguished Member

No problem with warranty, took my Aussie one in to apple store in Texas and they had no problem sorting it out. :thumbsup::cool:;):rotfl:

Korum

On my new 64gb 3rd Gen touch in Settings, Music it has an option saying Volume Limit Off

You can put one on if you wanted too.

This is not the same thing, that setting will reduce the volume of an EU ipod even further when turned on.

EU ipods have a volume cap through the headphone output because of French laws. If you turn the volume to 100% on an EU ipod it is around the equivalent of 70% on a US ipod. If you could compare the 2 the EU is way too low IMO. There are programs which boost the volume on all your songs but I've found they distort the sound when played back. If you have heard either a US or an EU Jailbroken ipod (Where you can alter the volumelimit.plist through FTP) you would not be too happy with what has been done to EU ipods.

Dr Evilest

So am I right in saying that there shouldn't be any issues using an ipod purchased in USA with any of the docks back home?
Even those which plug directly into the mains??

Dr Evilest

Costco members visiting USA can get the 32GB ipod touch for $299(includes tax) which equates to £181 at todays exchange rate.
Not a bad saving plus you get the usual costco benefits.

Korum

So am I right in saying that there shouldn't be any issues using an ipod purchased in USA with any of the docks back home?
Even those which plug directly into the mains??

How many times do you need reassuring:D They all charge the same way no matter which region they are from even in mains chargers:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom