i-pod quality loss?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by bass_junkie83, Mar 13, 2006.

1. bass_junkie83

bass_junkie83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good afternoon people. first post here.

this is an mp3 player/car audio question, but i thought it would be more suitable here.

i have a plan, to use an ipod to store all my music on and connect it to my head unit in my car so i dot have to worry about cd's.
    i dont want to convert music to mp3 though as i dont want to loss any SQ so i thought if i copied cd's onto an ipod and kept the files in wave format then that would be the best of both worlds.

but someone has highligted to me that even when playing wav files from an ipod there could still be some loss of sq.

does anybody here have a definative answer to this?

cheers

2. rela

rela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would encode to AAC 320kbps.

there is no point worrying about quality when you're playing it in your car, because sound quality degrades because of the bad acoustics, you lose alot of sound in your car.

Bare in mind that even listening to the radio, I believe it is about 224kbps? DAB is even less, some stations broadcasting at 128.

Saving as WAV will drain the battery alot quicker, and imo is not worth it.

3. bass_junkie83

bass_junkie83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont listen to the radio due to the quality.
    i currently convert mp3 at the highest quality, 320 kps or whatever it is and in my car at least there is a noticable difference between the mp3 files and the original cd.
    car audio can be of pretty high quality still if you get it right ;)

as for flattening the battery quicker, thats easily fixed with a charger.

what im after is finding out if there is a loss of quality between the original cd and playing the same, un-converted files from an ipod. no matter how slight.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    When you say "all my music" how much have you got? If I had kept my CD collection as WAV I'd need nearly 1000 Gb to store it and another 1000 Gb to back it up. As it is I went for 256K CBR MP3 and will be fitting it all in approx 150 Gb.

I'm using the Kenwood iP500 link to my kenwood head unit, it charges the iPod, you can control it from the head unit, displays ID tags on the head unit, and it sounds very good indeed (uses the dock connector, not the heaphone out, for better sound quality).

5. bass_junkie83

bass_junkie83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, maybe not quite all my music.
    a standard disc holds 700mb, assuming all audio cds are "full", that would be a minumum of 43 cd's worth of music stored on a 30 gb ipod in wav format.

that would be ample.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Hi. Have you only got 43 CDs or have you got a few hundred of them?

If you've got quite a few hundred, where are you going to store them all in WAV format? You'll need a very big PC hard drive and backup device.

7. bass_junkie83

bass_junkie83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i have hundreds.
    no i dont need them all at once.
    it takes roughly 3 minutes insert a cd into the drive, add track data and copy it onto my computer. then once all the cd's i want to listen to are done, all i have to do is move them onto the ipod.
    i can add and delete music from my computer easily enough.

although this is starting to wander away from the original question.

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    sorry, yes realise that, but going for WAV fundamentally affects the way to operate.

I had a 10Cd autochanger in the boot and found I was always listening to the same CDs 'caus I either forgot or couldn't be bothered to change them.

If, when I wanted to listen to a new CD, I had to rip it afresh to the ipod and fiddle with track names I would probably be not much better off vs the autochanger. IMHO.

Instead with MP3 I (will) have 1500 CDs "on tap" on the PC and have a "window "of over 200 of 'em on the ipod, and swapping and changing them takes seconds.

In answer to your orig question the ipod sounds pretty good but I'd imagine, even playing WAV, it would not be quite as good as playing the CD itself.

9. bass_junkie83

bass_junkie83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if just been told by someone else too that there will be some loss in sq when using an ipod, oh well, was a nice idea.

looks like a dvd hu is on the way, cheers for your help.

:)

10. rela

rela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Playing a wav on an ipod is the same as the cd, that is the purpose, its pure, the same as CD.

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    No it's not really.

An ipod has an analogue output stage, so that is the best quality you are going to get and lets face it the conversion from digital to analogue on an ipod is not the greatest, if you were hooking it up digitaly then the differences would be less apparent.
    You are also relying on the aux input stage of your amp being completely lossless as well, which it is not.

12. mattals

mattals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would converting my files to AAC 320kbps give me better sound quality when playing it through my HiFi !! if so how do i go about doing this !! would be much appreciated

13. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The iPod offers Apple Lossless Compression. As it indicates, it's compressed audio which saves space over WAV but is the same quality as WAV, being Lossless. One album ends up taking 400MB or so on average, meaning about 140~150 albums on a 60Gb iPod.

The iPod analog Line Out is not bad when routed properly. Higher-end car docks in the near future will probably make use of the 5G iPod's digital output.

14. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Eh ? When did that happen ? What goes out the digital output (i.e. does it transcode to PCM, or is it just whatever the file format is ?) ? Which connector provides it, dock, special cables etc ? Why nothing about it in the tech specs (or is 5G the next-gen iPod, and I'm getting excited about nothing ?)

:)

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I didn't know it had such a thing. I thought line-out through the dock connector was as good as it gets on the iPod.

16. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    It seems not. The latest external connectivity solutions for the 5G incorporates a codec at the dock/remote end. The signal being exchanged is not SPDIF.