Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

i-pod, mini or nano?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Mendes, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Mendes

Mendes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +501
    Ive been told i can have one of these for Chrimbo but im not sure which to get. From what ive seen so far the mini is probably the better for memory size, battery life and price. But the Nano is the new version and will probably more readily available.
    I dont know a great deal about them and just wondered which would be the best as this will be my first mp3 player.

Any advice would apreciated
    Thanks
    Mendes

2. alike

alike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure that you want an ipod? There are loads of other, better (though some would argue this point) mp3 players... But if you really want an ipod then I would get a mini, 6gb. But you'll prob have to go somewhere like TCR to find one now

3. Mendes

Mendes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +501
    Which player would be recommended for about £120-£180? other than i-pod

Cheers
    Mendes

4. Batch

Batch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    University: Lancaster, Home: Cambridgeshire
    Ratings:
    +200
  5. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well they are all different prices and all have different memory capacity. The mini is now discontinued but you can still get some old stock in the shops at a lower price, the nano is its replacement which is small and sleek and costs around £140 with around 4gb of memory. The normal ipod is a much higher spec with 30gb or 60gb memory and wider screen and can player video. If theres no budget they obviously got for the ipod as you can pick it up for £230 for the 30gb and £299 for the 60gb,if your restricted money wise then go for the othe options,

It also comes down to how many cd's you have, the nano will store around 1000 tracks depending on what bitrate to use to convert, the ipod around 15000 tracks again depending on your file sizes. Ipod have loads of fans and loads of enemies (the latter tend to be those who are either sony owners on this forum or those who thinks its not cool to eithe own or admit that they are a good machine).

Anyway, search this forum for ipod, nano, mini etc and you will find loads of posts with the pros and cons of this product as well as other mp3 players and that way you can make an informed choice rather than rely on posters who say "there are loads better" without substance

6. alike

alike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony HD5, if you hunt around for a good deal you could get it for £179. If size isn't important to you (though your choice of mini and nano might suggest otherwise) then the Creative Zen Touch is great value. Also the Creative Zen Micro (and the new 'Photo' version) are about £160 and look nice

7. dskywalker

dskywalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely the 30G iPod with video. Unless all you do is running and exercising, nano and mini aren't designed for guys. I would go for 30G iPod, then get a shuffle just for exercising.