1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i-pod/i-tunes help required

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Pecker, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,347
    Just had a mate on the 'phone who's having a problem with his i-pod/i-tunes, can anyone help (I don't own an i-pod).

He doesn't have enough room on his PC's HD to store all his CDs, but his 60gb i-pod is plenty big enough.

So, what he's been doing is ripped c.10GBs worth of music on to i-tunes, then transferring it to his i-pod, then deleting the music on i-tunes/his PC's HD so he can start doing a 2nd batch of CDs.

Unfortunately, when he does this, whenever he plugs his i-pod back in to his PC, it detects that the music has been deleted from i-tunes, and deletes the music from his i-pod (presumably thinking he doesn't want it anymore).

I've told him to :rtfm: , but he can't find anything.

If anyone knows how to get round this problem, can you please post instructions uo here. Preferably in Janet & John language, as he needs to understand it first time. He can read messages here, but can't reply (long story, don't ask).

All other solutions (like buying a bigger HD) aren't applicable, as he only has a few days to get his entire CD collection on to the i-pod before disappearing to the USA.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Steve W

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    You need to put the iPod in manual update mode and then you can tell the iPod what you want it to grab from iTunes. You do this via iTunes preferences.
    I would really recommend getting an external hard disk for his PC to keep the tunes on, but if that's not an option he will have to manually export to the iPod (which I've never done!)

3. CraigHolt

CraigHolt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im no expert but I think he needs to set his ipod to not automatically update when it is plugged in. Then he can manually add whatever he needs to. I have done the same thing with my ipod as I only have a laptop and cant fit all my songs on it. I think he can change the settings once his ipod is plugged in.

4. CraigHolt

CraigHolt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't mean to just repeat what John G had said there! He just posted at the same time as me (and said it much more technically and accurately than me as well!!)