1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i-pod car install

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by ledzep100, Apr 12, 2004.

1. ledzep100

ledzep100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

Got myself an i-pod and I'm trying to install it onto my car by connecting it to the multi-changer phono input with a mini-jack to phono cable.

The sony MD headunit only activates the CD input when it's connected to the multichanger via the control cable.

The problem is that my sony multichanger wont load discs properly. When I connect the control cable to the multichanger and connect the output of the pod to the CD phono input and select CD I can hear the pod while the changer is trying to load a disc (sounds good). But as soon as its been through all the discs it errors and switches off the headunit.

Does anyone know if there's a way of getting this working without buying a new CD changer?

I'm thinking that maybe I can fool the headunit into thinking its attached to changer. I know you can get loop back cables for Alpine headunits but cant find them for sony's.

Any ideas?

Cheers

ledzep

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
  3. ledzep100

ledzep100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that cwick,

It looks good, I really like the idea of having control over the pod. But for about the same money I could buy a new changer and put in a switch allowing me to listen to the changer when I never had the pod with me.

I think I'll contact them to see if the control will work with my headunit as that may be the deciding factor.

Cheers

ledzep

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Here's another link that lists which head-units are 'ipod friendly'. Not sure it helps much in your case though ...

Cheers, Carl.

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Ledzep - why dont you buy an i-trip mate ? No wires required and works on any FM radio with clarity.

6. ledzep100

ledzep100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Rags,

I've now got an i-trip but in the M4 corridor it's a nightmare. You can tune too a frequency before you set off, but you get about a mile down the road before you get treated to some "urban jungle" pirates (booyaca sha!)

Even if this wasn't the case the fidelity is a bit lacking.

Cheers

ledzep