I-Players woes continue / JL service suffers a bad moment

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by cerebros, Jul 16, 2003.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    OK, finally got a replacement I-Player after having returned it for the fault detailed here

What do I find on opening the box when I got home this evening? Not a shiny new I-Player, but apparently someone else's faulty I-Player.

Signs were not good when, on opening JL's shipping box, I found a sticker with a hand-written code on the I-Player box, and the tuck in tab that secures the lid showed damage from previous opening.

Furthermore, on opening the I-Players box, the batteries were in the remote, the SCART lead was loose, not tied up, and there were several loose cable ties floating around. On plugging the box in, it turned out to have already been tuned. In other words, not pristine.

But worst of all, the unit itself was faulty. While it had all the channels tuned, the sound was being reproduced at what seemed like half speed on all TV & radio channels.

Got on the phone to JL straight away and the girl I spoke to couldn't apologise enough, but said she'd have to call the stores in the morning to see if she could source a replacement player, as they didn't have any in stock.

All I can say is that this isn't the high level of quality customer service I'd been led to expect from John Lewis. I can understand that these units seem to be in short supply, so I can forgive a 2 week wait for a replacement, but allowing a used, faulty unit to be sent as a replacement smacks of sloppiness somewhere down the line.

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ah sod it...

After the gf and I decided we weren't going to wait around for weeks while JL waited for more stocks of the I-Player to come in, I've decided to get my money back on the I-Player and went to Dixons (I wouldn't under normal circumstances, I promise) and bought a Nokia 221T.

Maybe when I get my new TV and need a second STB so we can get Freeview upstairs and down, I'll look at the Netgem again.

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The man thats never made a mistake has never done anything. It's an inconvenience but was any harm done ? :)

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well I still don't have a working I-Player so I've bought a Nokia 221T - it was either that or hope the wind decides to blow the right way whenever I try to watch Channel 5....

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on JL, but I seem to be on the end of crappy customer service this week - got let down big time when my furniture was supposed to be delivered this week

Without wanting to go into a rant, I was supposed to have a sofa and chair delivered Monday by Sofa Workshop who supply MFI. As delivery time was quoted as being between 12pm and 8pm, and as I was going to my gf's graduation, I asked my parents to house sit while we were out so they could take delivery.

We got back from the graduation ceremony around 5pm. At 6:05 I rang Sofa Workshop to find out what time to expect the van so that I could figure out if we'd time to cook and eat dinner before it arrived. I was told that the drivers had nothing for me on the van but that I'd be called next day to be told what was going on.

Next day Sofa Workshop tried to feed me a load of BS about how the drivers arrived at 5 p.m., rang the bell (which must have been good since we don't HAVE a doorbell) waited half an hour, rang MFI who tried to call my mobile but couldn't get through and so told the drivers to leave.

This is complete and utter BS as my parents were working on the front garden for most of the afternoon, and my gf and I got back from her graduation around 5, so if anyone had come to the house and knocked on the door, we'd have heard, and as we didn't have any chairs to sit on, I was standing by the front window looking out for the van.

And then Sofa Workshop had the cheek to say that as we'd missed the delivery, we'd have to wait until August. I got onto MFI's manager who managed to arrange something for next Friday, but if it doesn't turn up then, someone is going to get a right bloody earful and no mistake.