• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

I-Player - Sony or Panasonic

TECHNOPUG

Standard Member
My Panasonic TV could play BBC i-player over it's Freesat connection. However, I now have SKYHD and that of course does not provide you with the option of i-player (unless I re-wire the satellite cables each time).

I've read that Sony Blu-Ray players can access i-player via their ethernet connections - is this also true of Panasonic players? Is there likley to be any firmware updates that will allow Panasonic TV's to access i-player directly via their ethernet connections or is it only available via Freesat?

I'm looking to get a Blue-Ray player at the weekend and there doesn't seem much difference between the brands but I feel like I've missed out on some functionality now that I've lost i-player because of the SKYHD box.

If Sony offers i-player and Panasonic doesn't/won't/can't then maybe a Sony player is the solution.

If you need a Blu-Ray player also, then the Sony route does seem to be the most sensible. Reviews seem to be excellent, you can pick up the S370 for around £100 and it includes all the additional functionality you are asking for.

As an aside, I read in a recent edition of What HiFi (it might have been the Awards edition) that Sony have taken the media streaming/internet functionality from their TV and Blu-Ray ranges and have produced a stand-alone box. No indications of price from what I can see, but as a Panasonic Plasma owner (2009 V10 which has rather limited network functionality and it seems unlikely to be improved upon as - like most manufacturers - they are more interested in selling you the latest TV), this is something I am looking at myself.

TECHNOPUG

Standard Member
I'm a bit disappointed with Panasonic as the TV was sold on the basis that it would have access to I-Player, if not immediately, then certainly in the near future. That no longer seems to be the case. It's not vital to have I-Player and although I used it a bit when I was using Freesat, it was still in Beta mode and I don't think it's anywhere near as good as 4OD. Plus I have SKY+ anyway.

However, as there seems little to choose between the BD65/85 and the S370/570, the addition of access to I-Player may swing in Sony's favour.

I think therefore that I will try for a Sony S570. Does anyone know if Costco stock them? I saved over £300 on my Panny Plasma from them back in April, so I'm thinking of looking there first for a Blu-Ray player.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I'm a bit disappointed with Panasonic as the TV was sold on the basis that it would have access to I-Player, if not immediately, then certainly in the near future. That no longer seems to be the case.

You said in your first post that you can get iPlayer with the Panasonic TV. If so then how have they misold?

Cheers,

Nigel

TECHNOPUG

Standard Member
You said in your first post that you can get iPlayer with the Panasonic TV. If so then how have they misold?

Cheers,

Nigel

It was sold as being available through their internet tv (VieraCast - along with YouTube etc) when in fact it is not.

It's available through a Freesat connection, as it is for any other TV that has Freesat. The BBC have unsurprisingly not given SKY access to I-Player and therefore I no longer have access to I-Player (unless I unplug the SKY box and plug reconnect Freesat). I still have a Panasonic TV though but no I-Player.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Okay, didn't realise that bit. If they advertise that, then you have a right to be miffed.

Cheers,

Nigel

TECHNOPUG

Standard Member
Okay, didn't realise that bit. If they advertise that, then you have a right to be miffed.

Cheers,

Nigel

I wouldn't go as far as saying that I was "misold" but I don't think that I was being unreasonable or indeed alone in presuming that this functionality would be available at some point.

I have read various reports that Panasonic are working on an update to VieraCast but the dates seem to be put back continuously and I wonder whether there is really any attempt to provide it at all.

Certainly I can't see any reason why Sony's internet TV ("Bravia Video"?) supports I-Player and VieraCast doesn't/can't. They both provide access to YouTube for example.

The TV is great though and I'm more than happy with it. The obvious choice was to pair it with a Panasonic Blu-Ray player but the Sony seems a better choice now.

I have read various reports that Panasonic are working on an update to VieraCast but the dates seem to be put back continuously and I wonder whether there is really any attempt to provide it at all.

Sorry to disappoint, but if you search through the Panasonic-related threads in the plasma forum, you'll find one where an owner has contacted Panasonic regarding VieraCast upgrades, only to be told that aside from intermediate fixes the 2009 sets will not receive any further major functional improvements.

TECHNOPUG

Standard Member
So is VieraCast functionality specific to the TV models? I thought it would be software that can be updated? That's a bit rubbish on Panasonic's part and pretty much seals the deal in favour of a Sony player.

psyentist

Novice Member
The Sony BDP-S370 has issues with iPlayer with certain ISPs - Virgin Media & Tiscali for sure & possibly others.

nehalem

Novice Member
Just to put it in context, its seemingly an intermittant issue and doesn't affect most people. I have a 370 and Virgin media and never experienced it. It seems to be down to the way in which the BBC servers react to the request from the device to access iPlayer and every now and then give it the wrong URL. My understanding is its being looked at the moment but most likely won't require a update patch on the device.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom