i-player component output

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by noidea, Jun 21, 2004.

1. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I am thinking of buying the i-player freeview box specifically because it has component output (which is good for me as no available scart sockets on plasma). Can someone please tell me if I select this option on the i-player, how do I get audio out to the screen as well? I don't have a surround system and just use the stereo speakers on the screen itself.
    I also assume that I connect the player with a scart to 3 phono cable to go in the screen's component inputs..

thanks in advance

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The Netgem has analogue and digital audio out, use the former hooked up to your screen.

Yes - use a scart to 3 phono lead but use the correct one. A dedicated scart to component lead and not one of the scart to composite+stereo audio 3 phono leads.

3. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    thanks philip

4. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The netgem has no analogue audio out. You probably want a Scart to 3 phono component + LR audio. You could extend the audio LR if needs be to your amp if the plasma has no audio input. (you could use the optical digital out or the second scart for audio instead).

Have a look at this cable

http://www.hificables.co.uk/Product...D/2384/v/8b661f96-1ca3-4823-a41b-446122f5547d

it has a sync as well.

Just reread your post. Sounds like the cable you need.

5. remms

remms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the netgem does have analogue out but it is a small 3.5mm socket between the scarts. it would be difficult to wire to that so using a scart-2phono lead would be easier.

the component is only component scart(rgb or yCbCr i cant remember) which most decent boxes do anyway, and it isnt the best quality on my 28". however i believe scart-component scarts exist but not scart-component+phono but you could still use the 3.5mm somehow.

6. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi remms
    we found the component output to be very good, not quite as good as the RGB but very very close. The unit is a favourite with our customers because the component output is unique amongst STBs, and there are still lots of displays out there with component only (no RGB scart) so this unit allows them to get great quality without the need for additional converters.

7. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Appologies, it does have audio out. I still think the above cable WITH Audio LR is your best bet.

8. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Thanks again all. I now have this cable. By the sounds of it I can use the same cable to output component or RGB alond with the acompanying audio. Perfect.

BTW what does the sync connector do and if I plug it in does this prevent me using the cable for either RGB or component?

9. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Some displays and video processors have an additional sync input for devices outputing RGBS. Leave unattached.