I/P setting 32GA3

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by richjthorpe, Jan 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've come across this setting on my TV which switches the signal between Interlace and Progressive.

Am I right in thinking that even though I am feeding the TV with an RGB signal via Scart from my DVD player that the TV converts it to Progressive when the I/P is set ? The picture certainly doesn't flicker when I turn on the Progressive setting.

How does this Progressive setting compare to a dedicated DVD that kicks out Prog Scan via component ?

Thanks,

Richie.

2. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yes, it does convert it to progressive. RGB scart is always interlaced. But I always have my Sharp Aquos (which is what you have, right?) set to "interlaced" because I find that the progressive setting removes too much information from the signal. I think it scales up each video field (ie: just the odd or just the even lines) to the full frame - so it looks like a lower resolution signal.

If I'm watching a film, the I set the "movie" setting (also under the advanced settings). This usually gives a superb picture.

Progressive scan DVD players automatically detect whether the original is film or video based, and use different de-interlacing algorithms accordingly. De-interlacing film will perfectly recover the oringinal non-interlaced frames. Some of the deinterlacing chips (like the Faroudja ones) will also give a slightly better result when de-interlacing video beacuse they use much more sophistated algorithms. So when watching TV via RGB scart I take on the automatic detection role myself, and switch the Sharp between "interlaced" and "movie".

This is a great page to find out more than you ever wanted to know about de-interlacing:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

James