I own an Android TV box... and I am happy enough!

I have a vmade 6K one, that runs on the Android 10.0 OS. I cannot say that, other than a few hiccups, I feel let down by it. You can basically use an Android TV box just like a normal computer, and I think it's better than an Amazon Firestick. When you add a browser to a Firestick using an executable APK download, a lot of things don't work right at all. Like for example, if I type out an email, the mouse button has to be held as I compose something.

I have noticed some apps such as Docs, will crash on my TV box. So far, not had any issues with Netflix or YouTube, but there's no need to waste room putting some apps on it, when you just go to a browser and select the desktop version.

No real bouncy picture. I watch things over 4G, over a hotspot, when I leave my mobile by a window to gain the best connection. When I took it to my family's house and connected with their broadband to a larger TV, it seemed very sluggish, for whatever reason. I did say not to put the modem in a cupboard, as perhaps the signal is affected by that.

I think the 8-Ball Pool app looks amazing on a bigger screen. I also really like the Computer Launcher, as it looks like an ordinary Windows desktop that way, and you can create shortcuts. The default hub looks a bit bland, to be honest.

Another thing I hate is the large on screen keyboard. I'm aware of an app that cancels it called Null Keyboard, but it sadly also removes the 'Enter' function, which is needed to confirm many actions. But the floating mode with Gboard is a decent alternative, as the keyboard looks so small after you set it up. You can move it out of reach, although it is a bit annoying.

Since I'm not into PC gaming, these cheap boxes do everything I want to do. But you can get retro games that work with a PS4 pad, so I am still quite impressed. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom