I never thought I would hear this!

elcid123

Standard Member
Reaction score
Yesterday my wife and me went to blockbuster to return a blue ray 3D DVD and whilst therepopped into Curry's no, she didn't say lets have sex on the floor, however she said looking at the telly's there there'snot a telly here that can even comes close to my TX-65VT50B. I was astonished. She has always said televisions don'tmean much to her and I've had quite a number of telly's in my time right acrossthe whole range from CRT's to just about everything including the Pioneer Kuro.

What dofolks think? Has anyone had such a comment from their wife's or partners?

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterdaymy wife and me went to blockbuster to return a blue ray 3D DVD and whilst therepopped into Curry's no, she didn't saylets have sex on the floor, however she said looking at the telly's there there'snot a telly here that can even comeclose to my TX-65VT50B. I was astonished. She has always said televisions don'tmean much to her and I've had quite a number of telly's in my time right acrossthe whole range from CRT's to just about everything including the Pioneer Kuro.

What dofolks think? Has anyone had such a comment from their wife's or partners?

Steve

Thats a dissapointment. Would much Rather had Sex on the Floor Mate, Thats the best use for Currys :D:rotfl:

lol

Not yet but Im sure I will. My Mrs is just bemused by be constantly updating(likely a tad miffed too lol). May get one of these next year, promised it would be the last for a few years, she doesn't believe me lol.

Last edited:
Thats a dissapointment. Would much Rather had Sex on the Floor Mate, Thats the best use for Currys :D:rotfl:

:eek::nono:....

.....floors way too hard:)

Seriously though this has the appearance of a general thread. Will leave for now.

Snip.. looking at the telly's there - 'There's not a telly here that can even come close to the TX-65VT50B.' I was astonished. She has always said that televisions didn't mean much to her and one was much like another and I've had quite a number of telly's in my time right across the whole range, from CRT to just about everything, including the Pioneer Kuro.

What do folks think? Has anyone had such a comment from their wife or partner?

Steve

Think she must have been down the boozer before that and decked a bottle of vino, beer gogs :laugh:.

you obviously have not owned a samsung yet then

(belive it or not i dont see ir shame theres alot of people saying there vts are)

my son came out with the exactly the same comment " why do all those tv`s not look as good as ours " think i have turned him in to a plasma snob :D

My missus says similar things.
Just goes to show it's easier to see a step down, as opposed to a step up.
Pretty much the same when it comes to audio too, imo.

You are a lucky man. I can't get mine to show any interest at all.
"It's got a picture. What else am I supposed to be looking at" is the best I can get.

Thanks, So I'm not alone, she was sober if she hadn't been it would have been sex on the floor but I think the floor too hard but I could have asked for something I think!
The 65VT hasn't been calibrated yet I've only had it from Thursday last week.
How long should I give it before calibration? some say 100 hours others 400 hrs.
By the way wheres the best place to sell my GT50 42 inch? I looked at the classified on the site but can't see contact info ? there is links for phone numbers but clicking on them I cant see anything!

Steve

Well tonight I had a bit of a shocker. Said to the wife, 'next year could I maybe order a Lumagen mini and surround sound?' she asked 'how much for the mini thing? And what does it do?'.
So I explained 21point greyscale, full CMS, approx £1500 inc installing and cal etc etc. Her reply 'hmm sounds good if we can save for it cant see why not'. :eek::clap:

As for the surround sound the kit Ive been pricing up is more than the lumagen...more than my ST :laugh: and met with the wall of 'not a chance'.:(:rotfl:

Maybe the following year for that. :devil:

Well tonight I had a bit of a shocker. Said to the wife, 'next year could I maybe order a Lumagen mini and surround sound?' she asked 'how much for the mini thing? And what does it do?'.
So I explained 21point greyscale, full CMS, approx £1500 inc installing and cal etc etc. Her reply 'hmm sounds good if we can save for it cant see why not'. :eek::clap:

As for the surround sound the kit Ive been pricing up is more than the lumagen...more than my ST :laugh: and met with the wall of 'not a chance'.:(:rotfl:

Maybe the following year for that. :devil:

Once you get into the sound there is no turning back, tbh it's more important to me than the picture.

Once you get into the sound there is no turning back, tbh it's more important to me than the picture.
Yeah starting to think get sound sorted then get the lumagen...IF I can talk the wife round :)

sorry a decent sound is a must with a decent tv.

Agreed, IMO for me I would say at least 50/50

Fine if you have the money but my personal preference is a great picture first then sound, so the best set I can get first then the best sound.
I can understand it being the other way round for others but tests my preference.
If money wasn't an issue then yes both great pic and sound would be ideal.
I just won't compromise what I see to get better sound.

Yeah starting to think get sound sorted then get the lumagen...IF I can talk the wife round :)

Its only the last few years I have had any kind of sound system other than the tv Jon, even at that mine is just a toy compared to whatother owners have. I never realised how important sound is to be honest but all I can is I could never watch a movie without it now!. Even my el cheapo system can do True HD etc :).

I would suggest with a tv as capable as your ST I would forget the lumagen and go straight in with sound mate.

Last edited:
panman40 said:
Its only the last few years I have had any kind of sound system other than the tv Jon, even at that mine is just a toy compared to whatother owners have. I never realised how important sound is to be honest but all I can is I could never watch a movie without it now!. Even my el cheapo system can do True HD etc :).

I would suggest with a tv as capable as your ST I would forget the lumagen and go straight in with sound mate.

Was talking to the wife...she agreed to the SS but will have to wait instead for the lumagen.
Think i will have to re venture to the audio section...best not have my CC on me then lol

Despite my previous post Id have to agree with that, is the Lumigen going to give you a huge improvement considering the cost is the same as buying a second set.
Just my Dennon 1910 and wee elac 5.1 setup made a huge difference to watching films. Think my setup cost about 800, will add more than a Lumi at 1500 and leave you money for a cal.

We've spent pretty much equal amounts on the TV and on the sound. We have a Samsung PS64D8000 (64" plasma) which cost me €2500 (just over £2000, at the time), and we spent £2000 on my sound system (Pioneer SC-LX73 which was reduced to £800, KEF surround system with a pair of stands and cables). We also bought a TV stand recently, which cost £1500 :eek: (but it's very nice) - a BDI Casata 8629-2.

Everybody goes 'wow' when they come in and see it :D and my gf loves the TV - at the moment she's stuck in front of it every evening watching several episodes of Babylon 5, and when I say that I'd like to watch something different she says "no, it's my TV!". Fortunately for me, we split the cost so she does have a point.

My daughter told me an entertaining story too. A friend (who hasn't come round to the house) asked her how big the TV was, and afterwards went into a TV shop to see what a TV that big looked like. She reported back to my daughter that the shop didn't have any television that big! :laugh::smashin:

Fine if you have the money but my personal preference is a great picture first then sound, so the best set I can get first then the best sound.
I can understand it being the other way round for others but tests my preference.
If money wasn't an issue then yes both great pic and sound would be ideal.
I just won't compromise what I see to get better sound.

But and its a big BUT once you have had decent sound the situation changes IMO
Hell even a budget 5.1 set like this
http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/yamaha/yht196/yama-yht196 for less than £200 would probably blow yer mind:smashin:

But and its a big BUT once you have had decent sound the situation changes IMO
Hell even a budget 5.1 set like this
Yamaha YHT196 Black | 5.1 Package System inc Speakers excluding DVD Player | Richer Sounds for less than £200 would probably blow yer mind:smashin:

I meant spending a lot on sound as in k+ he'll yeah a basic setup is a must, 5.1 really adds to a film.
John see what your RS has in the way of old model AVRs and speakers, bound to have something you can build on later. I got a decent AVR that'll last and found some speakers for a good price, in the future if I choose to upgrade sound Ill just need to upgrade my speakers. Got my little elacs from sound and vision, they where having a clear out and found them. Great little speakers but the cheap missions I had did a great job too.

Scooby2000 said:
I meant spending a lot on sound as in k+ he'll yeah a basic setup is a must, 5.1 really adds to a film.
John see what your RS has in the way of old model AVRs and speakers, bound to have something you can build on later. I got a decent AVR that'll last and found some speakers for a good price, in the future if I choose to upgrade sound Ill just need to upgrade my speakers. Got my little elacs from sound and vision, they where having a clear out and found them. Great little speakers but the cheap missions I had did a great job too.

Looking at options. I think a cheap little set now. Big boy kit later ;)

yeah totaly agree if you dont intend on cinema volumes then any soft of surround sound set up will be great and will make a world of difference, BUT you will get the bug and wont more, and like alot of people it comes in time, I certainly coulnt be without my 7.1 it makes the film.
you watch a film with no sound its like ok, try listning to a film with no picture:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom