I need your help!

G

giribi

I'm going to switch my CRT for a Plasma ou LCD, and I'm undecided between 3 models. Since i'm going to buy them at an online store, I can't watch them perform in person, and after quite a bit of net search, have been unable to find reviews on 2 of them. The prices are for Portugal, and my budget won't stretch further.
I'll be seated at 8.5 feet from the screen. My main question is, will I at that distance notice a diference in quality between the plama and the superior resolution of the LCD with HD content. They'll be used mainly for SD TV and downloaded content from the Internet (wich can be in hd). I don't, neither will, own a console.

The models are:
LG Plasma 42" 42PC1D 739.50€
LG LCD 37" 37LC45 687.85€
Samsung 32" LE32R86BD 668€

Thanks

dazza74

Distinguished Member
I'm going to switch my CRT for a Plasma ou LCD, and I'm undecided between 3 models. Since i'm going to buy them at an online store, I can't watch them perform in person, and after quite a bit of net search, have been unable to find reviews on 2 of them. The prices are for Portugal, and my budget won't stretch further.
I'll be seated at 8.5 feet from the screen. My main question is, will I at that distance notice a diference in quality between the plama and the superior resolution of the LCD with HD content. They'll be used mainly for SD TV and downloaded content from the Internet (wich can be in hd). I don't, neither will, own a console.

The models are:
LG Plasma 42" 42PC1D 739.50€
LG LCD 37" 37LC45 687.85€
Samsung 32" LE32R86BD 668€

Thanks

More pixel's doesn't necessarily mean better picture, if it did you'd have nobody buying plasma screens they'd all buy LCD as LCD normally have a higher pixel count. As your mainly watching SD buy yourself a plasma not an LCD. You get a HD source going through those plasmas they should look superb I know mine does.

L

lall

Agree! We've just had our Samsung LCD taken away after 2 days as the pic was no where as good compared to the plasma we replaced it for to begin with. Got a new LG 50PB65 arriving on the weekend. Plasmas do a much better job with an SD signal compared to an LCD anyway.

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Agree! We've just had our Samsung LCD taken away after 2 days as the pic was no where as good compared to the plasma we replaced it for to begin with. Got a new LG 50PB65 arriving on the weekend. Plasmas do a much better job with an SD signal compared to an LCD anyway.

Looks like your in for a good weekend :thumbsup:

Can't wait for Saturday, BBC HD England Match :D

D

Dean Adams

I am sitting exactly the same distance away from mine 8.5 ft. I have the pioneer 4270Xd. I know it is more money but it is amazing!!! I did have the Panasonic 42tx60 and it developed a fault and was replaced, i paid more money for the Pioneer and i have never looked back. Blacks are far better, and i can't see pixels moving, and when playing hd it is simply faultless. If you can stretch a touch more on budget go for this. If you can't i would still go for 42 inch, it is not too big from 8.5 Ft.

dazza74

Distinguished Member
I am sitting exactly the same distance away from mine 8.5 ft. I have the pioneer 4270Xd. I know it is more money but it is amazing!!! I did have the Panasonic 42tx60 and it developed a fault and was replaced, i paid more money for the Pioneer and i have never looked back. Blacks are far better, and i can't see pixels moving, and when playing hd it is simply faultless. If you can stretch a touch more on budget go for this. If you can't i would still go for 42 inch, it is not too big from 8.5 Ft.

If your budget will stretch to 2000 Euros get the pioneer

D

Dean Adams

Sorry, missed the fact that you can't move your budget, 42 inch will still be fine so the Lg looks the winner.

G

giribi

Thanks all for the input. I was already kind' of inclined for the plasma. I read a good review in trustedreviews.com, and tough I know that it's not the best plasma out there, it's the one I can buy.

The main reason I posted the question was knowing if at that distance, the difference in resolution for the LCD would be noticable in HD content. But since at the moment I own no HD source other than my computer, and the fact that plasma screens work better with SD signal, made me move torwards plasma.

Thank you all.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom